We now have The Pope on our side

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted November 1, 2006

Packers add running back Pope

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

With halfback Vernand Morency likely to miss the next two games with a lower back injury, the Green Bay Packers added some depth to their stable of running backs when they signed rookie P.J. Pope off the Chicago Bears' practice squad.

To make room for Pope, the Packers released offensive lineman Chris White.

Pope signed with the Bears as an undrafted free agent and was a standout during the preseason, when he led Chicago in rushing with 40 carries for 153 yards.

He lasted with the Bears until final cuts. He then was signed to their practice squad, where he remained until Tuesday.

During Pope's time at Bowling Green, he rushed for 3,116 yards, the third-most in school history. His 41 touchdowns are the second most in school history.

Pope had such numbers despite missing much of his senior season with a high ankle sprain he sustained in the 2005 season opener against the University of Wisconsin.

The release of White leaves the Packers thin on the offensive line, specifically at center. White was one of just seven offensive linemen who were on the active roster for Sunday's win over the Arizona Cardinals. While White was on the active roster for all seven of the Packers games this season, he never played.

With White gone, the Packers would have to shift starting right guard Jason Spitz to center if anything happened to starter Scott Wells. The Packers only have eight offensive linemen on the roster, with Tony Moll, Junius Coston and Tony Palmer as the only reserves.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We now have The Pope on our sode

posted the rumor Monday bout them signing him..........

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:22 PM

rumor has it he might miss up to 4 weeks..and ~~ the Packers have brought in Pope from the Bears??

www.chicagobears.com/t...ayer_id=68

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Saw that on Monday, but didn't see th official signing till today.
Where I work, we are the Flagship station for The Bowling Green Radio network and our Sports director(Todd Walker) is the "Voice of the Falcons", I showed him the release, his opinion is that The Packers won't be dissapointed with Pope.
Says he is a tough runner who also can catch the ball out of the backfield, but maybe even more important, he is a better than average blocker when it comes to picking up blitzs and protecting the QB.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: We now have The Pope on our sode

Better yet we have him on our SIDE.. I hate typos!!!

You know you can fix it, right? At least I think you can.. with the edit function.

Without reading the entire thread yet, I'll say it makes me nervous to cut anyone from the O-line roster.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

that is what i heard too..a few bear fans are/were disapointed that we picked him up

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bring in another young guy who will probably turn out to be good! I wonder how long it will take for him to catch onto the offense?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Buckeyepackfan said:

You know you can fix it, right? At least I think you can.. with the edit function.

Without reading the entire thread yet, I'll say it makes me nervous to cut anyone from the O-line roster.

Chris White...A few have wondered if he was ever going to make it in the nfl..Well looks like he wont make it as a Packer ( for right now)

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

I know you can fix typos in the body of the story, but didn't think you could edit The Headline. Just fixed it, Thanks

And yea, we will be pretty thin on the O-line for now, hopefully TT and MM are looking around for practice squad material.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I live in Chicago, which means I know everything about Chicago.

Pope....I dont know a damn thing about him!

Ill check my sources today and will get back to you(and i DO have sources)

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you can fix typos in the body of the story, but didn't think you could edit The Headline. Just fixed it, Thanks

And yea, we will be pretty thin on the O-line for now, hopefully TT and MM are looking around for practice squad material.

Actually, try editing your original message, the first message in the thread - fix the subject line there. I think that would work. If you've already tried that, however, then don't worry about it. It's not bothering anybody (except you, if you hate typos :)

That's cool about the O-line, makes sense that they can fix that problem if it arises.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if pope plays well, do we keep him active? or move him to the practice squad and risk losing him. i guess we have to wait to see how he does.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the poop on Pope is that he can cope, and that the Bears aren't playing rope-a-dope!

lol, okay that was pretty lousy..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he runs as hard as that Beech kid I will be happy. I thought Beech was really looking pretty good there and had the running style Mo shows. Too bad he got that high ankle sprain.

I like that we have picked off a few players from other practice squads that have some of their fans squaking.

Maybe he's Gado II in the making.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many bears fans wanted pope as the 3rd rb. Instead, they kept A Peterson because he is a special teams stud.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I swear to god you are a bulls fan and have posted on a bulls forum once...i remember your name...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pope won't get much action this week at least. We're likely to see a lot of Green/Herron running. Pope will be used on special teams and as an emergency backup until he learns the offense at least.

I like our 3 RBs with Green/Morency/Herron, but it's always nice to have an extra for injuries like this. He might end up pushing Herron if he shows a lot in the next couple weeks though. It's hard to count a guy out who's going to be playing for his career -- ie to prove himself.

GO PACK GO!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:

I swear to god you are a bulls fan and have posted on a bulls forum once...i remember your name...

I am the alpha AND the omega.

I am the morning AND evening star.

I am everywhere.

I am tromadz.

but yes, from what I can gather, Pope is pretty solid, and should be a serviceable backup, but Chicago doesnt run the same scheme, so we'll see how it works out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts