We need to concentrate on defense and OL this offseason

Pack6817

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a good OLB opposite Matthews. A good Safety. A good RT and perhaps center.

resign what guys we can etc.
Agreed. Although I still believe the talent on D is deep, and the bigger issue is schematic. Too many guys too far out of place way way way too often...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pack6817

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Although I still believe the talent on D is deep, and the bigger issue is schematic. Too many guys too far out of place way way way too often...

Would love to see Nick Collins return! He wants to play, has stayed in shape, but Thomson doesn't roll like that. Nick won't be back, as Finely won't be back. Sad.

Pack6817

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not as worried about the offensive line as most because the Packer's best offensive lineman was injured all season. Brian Bulaga should come right back next year and start at left tackle. This will allow David Bakhtiari to move over to his natural spot of right tackle. Sherrod could have a full offseason to play and possible become a nice swing tackle. Marshall Newhouse should NOT be resigned by the Packers or signed by any team in the NFL.

Inside Linebacker and Safety are the most two pressing needs (along with Tight End). The Packers should be able to draft either CJ Mosley (ILB - Alabama) or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix (S - Alabama). Assuming Shields is resigned, the Packers are solid at corner. Hopefully guys like Datone Jones, Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy take a step forward next season.
Jones, Perry, and Worthy are all underachieving in this system. Packers are Loaded with talented pass rushers yet still lack pressure. Again, I just have to believe that schematically, there is a Huge problem. I just know in my heart that Capers has seen his better days, and the Pack would be better without him at this point. He will not be fired as he and the staff are deep in a love affair that dates back to McCarthys love of Pittsburg. The only hope for an improved D is for Capers to acknowledge the scheme is outdated and severely flawed, and retire for the good of the team.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problems with our offensive line at the moment. I like us healthy. Bulaga and Bhaktiari. The only position that I'm not sold on is C. Other than that, I don't think that's a huge need. We need a SS first and foremost. Period. Clinton Dix would be great, but I doubt he falls that far. ILB is right behind it. I would love Mosely, but again, I doubt he falls.

I want Capers gone. I have held out and just said it was a personnel issue, but I dont think so anymore. I swear to God next year, if I see one more 20+ pass completion where two defenders are looking at one another confused with their hands in the air as if to say, "I thought you had him" my head literally might explode. That crap isn't personnel, it's coaching. Guy's not knowing where they are suppose to be. And under Capers, that crap happens WAY too often. No more.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone likes Borland and is very familiar with him but I like Shayne Skov out of Stanford if he is still around in the 2nd round. Borland sounds like Hawk. Skov is more athletic and seems to have a bit of a nasty streak I would like to see this defense have.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not as worried about the offensive line as most because the Packer's best offensive lineman was injured all season. Brian Bulaga should come right back next year and start at left tackle. This will allow David Bakhtiari to move over to his natural spot of right tackle. Sherrod could have a full offseason to play and possible become a nice swing tackle. Marshall Newhouse should NOT be resigned by the Packers or signed by any team in the NFL.

Inside Linebacker and Safety are the most two pressing needs (along with Tight End). The Packers should be able to draft either CJ Mosley (ILB - Alabama) or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix (S - Alabama). Assuming Shields is resigned, the Packers are solid at corner. Hopefully guys like Datone Jones, Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy take a step forward next season.

How is Bak a right tackle? He doesn't really have the size for the position and his attributes, long arms, a bender with good flexibility and good feet project him pretty well at the left side. I think you hope Sherrod can emerge as a player next year on the right side, then you try to move Bull to right guard and perhaps try Lang at Center.

Kind of leery about Bama players, they never seem to develop beyond their College level of play.

Agree on cats like Datone Perry and Worthy.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone likes Borland and is very familiar with him but I like Shayne Skov out of Stanford if he is still around in the 2nd round. Borland sounds like Hawk. Skov is more athletic and seems to have a bit of a nasty streak I would like to see this defense have.

I don't see AJ Hawk in Chris Borland, if he was a Hawk clone that would be an improvement in the middle... He's a unique player at the position and likely undervalued. Probably the most gifted pass rusher between the tackles of all ILBs MLBs in the draft. I usually don't **** Badger players to the Packers but Borland looks special to me. Only one other Badger defender I was this excited about in the last 10 years, JJ Watt.

As for Skov versus Borland, Borland is quicker and more explosive. I'd also rate Chris Borland as better against lead blockers. He just plays so low to the ground and always manages to get under the pads.

Watch this:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the report. he looks leaner and quicker to the ball than i though from some of the national reports i read.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is Bak a right tackle? He doesn't really have the size for the position and his attributes, long arms, a bender with good flexibility and good feet project him pretty well at the left side. I think you hope Sherrod can emerge as a player next year on the right side, then you try to move Bull to right guard and perhaps try Lang at Center.

Kind of leery about Bama players, they never seem to develop beyond their College level of play.

Agree on cats like Datone Perry and Worthy.

Bak is a right tackle because he's not a left tackle or guard. He doesn't have the feet or athletic ability to play the left side (against the opposing team's best pass rusher) so he's better suited for the right side. Bulaga is a tackle, not a guard. He was one of the best right tackles in league (actually rated by Pro Football Weekly) prior to his injury.

The guards are the strongest part of the offensive line. Why change that?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones, Perry, and Worthy are all underachieving in this system. Packers are Loaded with talented pass rushers yet still lack pressure. Again, I just have to believe that schematically, there is a Huge problem. I just know in my heart that Capers has seen his better days, and the Pack would be better without him at this point. He will not be fired as he and the staff are deep in a love affair that dates back to McCarthys love of Pittsburg. The only hope for an improved D is for Capers to acknowledge the scheme is outdated and severely flawed, and retire for the good of the team.

Williams made an excellent point that we are extremely young on defense. He says there's nothing wrong with the scheme and that the biggest problem is that the defense hasn't become automatic yet for a lot of young guys who are still learning what is a fairly complex system. You can call that an excuse or whatever, but there's a great deal of truth to his words. Defenders have to reach the point where they are able to react instinctively rather than thinking out their moves. I think while you hope to see that in a player's second season, the third season is when that becomes expected.

IMO, the biggest things our defense needs is A) to remain reasonably healthy, B) a safety and a ILB, and C) experience. I'm not a huge Capers fan, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize the problems he has had to deal with. As much as some of us might want to use Dom for a scapegoat, it would be foolish to disregard the other issues. That's why whether MM wants to keep or fire his DC, I'm ultimately okay with it either way after this tumultuous season.

Rodgers made the comment that were only a couple pieces away from being back on top. I can only assume he's referring to the need for a quality safety and a solid linebacker. I don't think the offense needs anything at all except a healthy Bulaga.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bak is a right tackle because he's not a left tackle or guard. He doesn't have the feet or athletic ability to play the left side (against the opposing team's best pass rusher) so he's better suited for the right side. Bulaga is a tackle, not a guard. He was one of the best right tackles in league (actually rated by Pro Football Weekly) prior to his injury.

The guards are the strongest part of the offensive line. Why change that?

Bakh was known for his quick feet and low posture coming out of College. Not sure where you got slow feet from, he's never struggled to stay in front of people. Bakh's problem has always been dealing with power. Yet we should move him to the right side where his quick feet will be less of an advantage and his strength more of a liability?

As for moving Bulaga inside and Lang to Center, Bulaga has a great anchor and run blocks with authority. But he struggles at times with lateral movement and outside speed. Some even predicted his best position would be at guard. Lang has quick feet and a thick body but short arms, very smart and a very confident player, good mobility for the position as well. IMHO Lang could become a beast at center.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh was known for his quick feet and low posture coming out of College. Not sure where you got slow feet from, he's never struggled to stay in front of people. Bakh's problem has always been dealing with power. Yet we should move him to the right side where his quick feet will be less of an advantage and his strength more of a liability?

As for moving Bulaga inside and Lang to Center, Bulaga has a great anchor and run blocks with authority. But he struggles at times with lateral movement and outside speed. Some even predicted his best position would be at guard. Lang has quick feet and a thick body but short arms, very smart and a very confident player, good mobility for the position as well. IMHO Lang could become a beast at center.

Let's agree to disagree on everything you wrote.

Latest posts