We Need a Pass Rush

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our DB's are taking a lot of heat this season, and some of it is deserved, but I think the main problem is the lack of pass rush. A good pass rush is very much a team effort, so there's nobody I can single out for blame. We are not getting much of a rush off the edge or up the middle. KGB has not done much, and while Kampman is playing pretty well overall, his sack total is a bit inflated because he got one when he was blocked one-on-one by a running back and two more when he was blocked one-on-one by tight ends.

In the middle, Cory Williams and Cullen Jenkins have had their moments, but then they disappear for long stretches. Opposing QB's have been able to step up to make their throws. Pickett has been invisible on pass plays, and nobody has emerged as an effective blitzer.

I, for one, am stumped, because I thought this defense would at least be average, if not above average. I have to wonder about the quality of the coaching--the defensive coordinator in particular. Maybe these are just some growing pains because it is his first year as DC. If that's the case, we need to see some improvement, and fast.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was no pass rush last season either. I don't see why anyone would expect much better. Like last year we get the occasional sack with one of our DE's beating his man, but as for a brute strength/collapse the pocket type pressure we don't have it and never did.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem that I see is that nobody is afraid of our blitz. Our LB rarely get there when they blitz. It seems they get swallowed up by the line. The timing is off. For the DL to be effective without the blitz you need all 4 linemen to play well. If the QB eludes the first guy there needs to be a second one there to clean up but there never seems to be one.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why we need a safety blitz the Pack of old rarely used an all out blitz and tended to use the safety more in that capacity. Sherman went away from it and tended to use the safety as only a extra coverage guy. Safety blitzes also eat up the running back who cannot go out and help it the flat.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
This is why we need a safety blitz the Pack of old rarely used an all out blitz and tended to use the safety more in that capacity. Sherman went away from it and tended to use the safety as only a extra coverage guy. Safety blitzes also eat up the running back who cannot go out and help it the flat.

I like that idea as long as they get there. They might as well blitz because our safeties have not been able to help out in coverage so far. May as well get some use out of them.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pass rush is very inconsistent. Sometimes is great with Williams, Kampman, and KGB all penetrating. Some times it's just down right awful. We need a consistent pass rush. So far though I liked the investment with Aaron Kampman and how he's playing. Pickett has been nice against the run. KGB against the pass. The rest are medicore in my opinion.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kewlbeans said:
There was no pass rush last season either. I don't see why anyone would expect much better. Like last year we get the occasional sack with one of our DE's beating his man, but as for a brute strength/collapse the pocket type pressure we don't have it and never did.

Good point. It just goes to show how the high ranking of the pass defense last year was very misleading. Teams didn't throw much against the Packers because they didn't need to. This year the run defense is maybe a little better and the pass defense is weaker, so they throw the ball more.

Pickett was the only significant addition to the defensive line in the off season, and he was brought in to help against the run. I guess the bottom line here is that the Packers need to draft, develop, or trade for at least one high-quality pass rusher, and probably more. Except for Jamal Reynolds, they have not taken a pass rusher in the upper rounds of the draft in a long time, unless you count Donnel Washington, who was a weird pick and didn't pan out any better than Reynolds.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just posted on this thirty minutes ago on the Saftey Blitz thread.

There are two different forms of pressure. First, the pressure from base packages out of the front four, and second, pressure created from blitzes.

Our regular package pressure from the front four is FAR to inconsistant. Every time you see a replay of a big play we have allowed there was NO pressure put on the QB.

We have gotten a fair number of sacks but the overall number of QB pressures is, I am quite certain, way down in comparison to sacks.

Blitz packages help add pressure but a QB is going to wing it at least 30 or so times a game so there is going to be 15 to 20 plays a game where we HAVE to get some pressure soley from the front four guys.

WR's have the rules in their favor and to negate this fact pressuring the QB so that AT LEAST he doesn't have time to put the throw on the money is essential.

We can kick the DB's around all we want but until I see some replays where the QB was, in fact, pressured, and still completed the big play I put this problem more so on lack of pressure.

Every big play allowed thay I have seen showed the pass right on the money and the QB sitting back there with a clear line of site to deliver it.

Watch the next game closely. Miami has been horrible protecting. If we get after it and keep the pressure on we will win this game.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the state of the current Packers defense should make all of us appreciate what a dominant defense we had in the mid 90's. Reggie, Sean, Santana, and Gilbert dominated offensive lines allowing the secondary to handle their coverage with much better efficiently. That defense also had the luxury of Leroy playing the eighth man in the box and the occasional successful blitz. Also, an absolute animal for a linebacker in Simmons that use to kick the TE's *** at the line of scrimage. How do you suppose Germain Wiggins would do against Wayne?

For me, that defenses dominance is the basis for my disappointment with Sherman and TT's teams. It is the main reason I have denigrated Sherman's accomplishments. I know what a great defense can do, but I haven't seen my Packers have anywhere near this effectiveness since 97. Donatell was able to masque some overachieving defenses that were adequate. I also believe Bates did an admirable job with them last year, but I think the Packers defensive rating was skewed by the fact we played from behind most of the year and other teams didn't need to pass.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Looking at the state of the current Packers defense should make all of us appreciate what a dominant defense we had in the mid 90's. Reggie, Sean, Santana, and Gilbert dominated offensive lines allowing the secondary to handle their coverage with much better efficiently. That defense also had the luxury of Leroy playing the eighth man in the box and the occasional successful blitz. Also, an absolute animal for a linebacker in Simmons that use to kick the TE's *** at the line of scrimage. How do you suppose Germain Wiggins would do against Wayne?

For me, that defenses dominance is the basis for my disappointment with Sherman and TT's teams. It is the main reason I have denigrated Sherman's accomplishments. I know what a great defense can do, but I haven't seen my Packers have anywhere near this effectiveness since 97. Donatell was able to masque some overachieving defenses that were adequate. I also believe Bates did an admirable job with them last year, but I think the Packers defensive rating was skewed by the fact we played from behind most of the year and other teams didn't need to pass.

I agree with you on everything. However, reminiscing does nothing. We need to work with what we have.

For one, I really believe in a blitz. Blitz everyone, and keep them off balance. Al Harris used to get sacks. Why doesn't he blitz anymore? Manuel can't cover anyways, so let's make him blitz. Woodson should blitz. He still has speed. Hawk could use a few more sacks. Has Barnett gotten one yet this year?

Anyways, more blitzes. Mix it up. Keep them off balance. I guarantee you with more pressure on the QB, there will be INTs. QBs don't like being hit.

Members online

Latest posts