We locked in CM3 for at least 5 more years.

H

HardRightEdge

It's 5 years added to the last year of his current deal, taking him out through 2018 and age 32. The Vikings have already made a contract offer beginning in 2019.

It will be interesting to see the details...signing bonus, guarantees, cap spread.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demarcus Ware signed his deal in 2009 for 7 years and 78 million. Now I don't know anything about the guaranteed money or any of that but it seems father time worked his end on the money per year basis but all in all it looks (so far) like a fair deal for both sides.

H

HardRightEdge

Demarcus Ware signed his deal in 2009 for 7 years and 78 million. Now I don't know anything about the guaranteed money or any of that but it seems father time worked his end on the money per year basis but all in all it looks (so far) like a fair deal for both sides.

The salary cap in 2009 was $129 million, $6 million more than this season.

It's reported that Matthews deal is a 5 year extension covering 2014 - 2018. So, if you add in his 2013 salary, it comes to 6 years, $71 million including bonuses, or about $11.8 mil/year. That's fair.

rotoworld.com is reporting $31 mil. in guarantees. That's a large figure for a non-QB or anybody not named Calvin Johnson. Can we insure his cap hit against hamstring injuries with Lloyd's of London? :confused:

This is a bit richer than Ware, under a lower cap, and less than Mario Williams' $16 mil per year Bills insanity.

Looking just at the 5 extension years at $13.2 mil per year, I believe this is the #2 richest defensive player contract in the league.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as good as clay is that's to much..i know some will disagree being he's the only real threat on defense but man. Hopefully his hamstrings hold up.

H

HardRightEdge

as good as clay is that's to much..i know some will disagree being he's the only real threat on defense but man. Hopefully his hamstrings hold up.

Ya know, it's one more example of where the salary spread has been heading...stagnant cap, rookie contracts cheaper under the new CBA scale, rookie savings migrating to the elite players, the middle range players at, say, 29 years of age and up, getting squeezed.

A few teams, like Baltimore, are seeing a lot of value among those cheap "middle aged" players. Even SF has brought in some cheap vets with value with the money they saved not re-signing Goldson. I think there is wisdom here. The whole "don't sign guys hitting 30 years old" makes sense if you have to give them a 5 year deal. It does not make a lot of sense when you can pick these guys up on 1, 2, 3 years or without much in guarantees.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know, it's one more example of where the salary spread has been heading...stagnant cap, rookie contracts cheaper under the new CBA scale, rookie savings migrating to the elite players, the middle range players at, say, 29 years of age and up, getting squeezed.

A few teams, like Baltimore, are seeing a lot of value among those cheap "middle aged" players. Even SF has brought in some cheap vets with value with the money they saved not re-signing Goldson. I think there is wisdom here. The whole "don't sign guys hitting 30 years old" makes sense if you have to give them a 5 year deal. It does not make a lot of sense when you can pick these guys up on 1, 2, 3 years or without much in guarantees.

31 mil in guarantees definitely says he's elite imo haha.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Would you have been excited if we would have signed Peppers for 6 years/$84M which is what the Bears gave him? I'm sure you would've been.

That contract had $42M guaranteed compared to $31M for Clay. Peppers was 30, Clay is 27.

I don't think this contract is unreasonable at all.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best thing about this is it is fairly long term, which should keep his cap number pretty reasonable for the first half or so of the contract. The other best thing is that if they sign our super OLB for 5-6 years, it would seem highly probably they will sign our super QB for 10 or so years, given the fact that QBs usually are productive longer- as I have been advocating - thereby keeping his cap number reasonable also. There's a way to do things, and it AIN'T like that media guy talked about - 4 years for Rodgers and presumably the same or less for Matthews.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you have been excited if we would have signed Peppers for 6 years/$84M which is what the Bears gave him? I'm sure you would've been.

That contract had $42M guaranteed compared to $31M for Clay. Peppers was 30, Clay is 27.

I don't think this contract is unreasonable at all.

what? that makes no sense sir. I could care less about Peppers or what the Bears gave him, we are talking about Clay Matthews. Thank you tho.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm....just speculating here but maybe the CM/AR contracts are part of the reason why TT has not over spent on the retreads from 31 other teams this off season! Prudent management of the salary cap will allow GB the opportunity to lock up a couple of the best players in the league. Of course doling out this much cash is always a gamble but at least we know what we are paying for!

H

HardRightEdge

McGinn is reporting that the signing bonus is $20.5 mil and that's the only guaranteed money, vs. the $31 mil posted at rotoworld. If so, that's team friendly.
"The Green Bay Packers gave linebacker Clay Matthews a signing bonus of $20.5 million Wednesday as part of his five-year, $66 million extension.
Including the restructured portion of his 2013 contract, the total cash value of the six years is $69.77 million. None of the base salaries are guaranteed, leaving the guaranteed portion of the deal at $20.5 million.
Matthews will count $6.71 million against the salary cap this year before his cap charge swells to $11.1 million in 2014. His other cap salaries will be $12.7 million in 2015, $13.75 million in 2016, $15.2 million in 2017 and $11.4 million in 2018."

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hmmm....just speculating here but maybe the CM/AR contracts are part of the reason why TT has not over spent on the retreads from 31 other teams this off season! Prudent management of the salary cap will allow GB the opportunity to lock up a couple of the best players in the league. Of course doling out this much cash is always a gamble but at least we know what we are paying for!
Rodell would rather let Matthews walk and pay a retread 8-10 mil.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what? that makes no sense sir. I could care less about Peppers or what the Bears gave him, we are talking about Clay Matthews. Thank you tho.

The point is if we signed an elite pass rusher in free agency, you would have been thrilled.

But because it's our own guy it's not as exciting to you and you think we're overpaying.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is if we signed an elite pass rusher in free agency, you would have been thrilled.

But because it's our own guy it's not as exciting to you and you think we're overpaying.

Annt wrong, getting HELP for Matthews would've been exciting. Why? Because the defense needs it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, back to the matter at hand.

From what I read this deal is relatively cap-friendly for the dollars and the market rate available to Clay. While you can certainly put me in the camp of folks that doesn't like to have elite superstars eating up disproportionate amounts of cap space, it's the price you pay for hitting grand slams in the draft. I guess that I'd rather win with small ball and occasional home runs but you can't...ever...bad mouth the grand slams. Rodgers and Matthews are our grand slams and are worth keeping around. They instantly make our offense and defense better much better than any other player on the roster

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts