We hire our coach MONDAY, Jan 9th - announcement Jan 10th

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: We hire our coach MONDAY, Jan 9th - announcement Jan 10t

tromadz said:
the man gave 6 years of service to the packers. He gave it his all. He deserved a standing ovation. I would have given him one. That doesnt mean I (or every member of the packers) think hes a great coach by any means. You guys are really gone...

I never said he was a great coach. I was just trying to argue that coaches aren't measured by how they look.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

hmm, not really.

just because some players arent bashing sherman and dont like him as a coach doesnt mean some dont feel that way, and you would be very stupid to feel some dont feel that way. I say that because there are too many people on the roster for some of them to not like him. was that worded poorly? Do I have to dumb that down for you too?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're right, Sherman wasn't a great coach, mostly because he didn't win a championship, but he was a very good coach. You people who think he sucked are just out of your minds. You don't win 60% of the games you coach if you suck as a coach. It's virtually impossible.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
was that worded poorly? Do I have to dumb that down for you too?

There's no need to be an *******. I never said some players didn't like him, I just said that you can't judge a coach by how he looks and that he had respect - he kept the team together.

Anyway, I don't really feel the need to say anymore about this. What's said has been said. Either you agree or you don't. Doesn't mean either one of us is less of a person. Let's move on please.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

unless you have a hall of fame QB, offensive line full of pro bowlers, pro bowl HB and a should be-pro bowl FB, and 2 pro bowl WRs near the end.

yeah, nobody with those things should be able to win 60% of their games.

you wanna know how I am sure of this. I know how this will be proven. There is a lot of Sherman love in the media now. They feel he was done dirty. All signs point to sherman being a HC in the league next year. The thing is, a team that needs a new HC doesnt usually have a proven QB or a great offensive line. Those were what sherman worked with his entire stay in GB. He never made that defense competitive, so i wont be looking at that in his next job. I will see how mr. 60% winner does without having his offense gift wrapped.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
hmm, not really.

just because some players arent bashing sherman and dont like him as a coach doesnt mean some dont feel that way, and you would be very stupid to feel some dont feel that way. I say that because there are too many people on the roster for some of them to not like him. was that worded poorly? Do I have to dumb that down for you too?

One day you're going to get out of high school and realize that acting that way does nothing to lend credibility to anything you say. I know you think you're somehow the most knowledgeable person on this forum, but once you get into your 20s you're going to realize at times, you're wrong and that you're opinions are no more valuable than anyone else's.

I'm not sure why it's somehow a certainty that some players don't like Sherman. You're probably right that some didn't like him, but given that I can think of only one guy who ever played for him who came out and criiticized him, and that every single player interviewed following his dismissal had nothing but praise for him, I have a lot better evidence to support my opinion than you do to support yours. Neither one of us is necessarily right, but my opinion is supported by stronger evidence.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
unless you have a hall of fame QB, offensive line full of pro bowlers, pro bowl HB and a should be-pro bowl FB, and 2 pro bowl WRs near the end.

Except that most of those players developed into Pro Bowl players under Sherman's tutelege. Maybe you don't remember Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera early in their careers, but I do and they were awful. Green did nothing in the NFL until he got to Green Bay and was coached by, you guessed it, Mike Sherman. Driver was nothing more than a third receiver until he developed under Sherman's staff. Walker had nothing but promise until he got to Green Bay. Mike Sherman's coaching staff turned him into a Pro Bowler. The only one of those guys who was a player before Sherman coached him was Henderson.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPackerFan said:
tromadz said:

Except that most of those players developed into Pro Bowl players under Sherman's tutelege. Maybe you don't remember Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera early in their careers, but I do and they were awful. Green did nothing in the NFL until he got to Green Bay and was coached by, you guessed it, Mike Sherman. Driver was nothing more than a third receiver until he developed under Sherman's staff. Walker had nothing but promise until he got to Green Bay. Mike Sherman's coaching staff turned him into a Pro Bowler. The only one of those guys who was a player before Sherman coached him was Henderson.

I had no idea mike sherman was the running backs coach. I apologize.

Nice "high school" crack. You got me good. I dont feel my opinions are better than anyones else, so get off that, mr. moral. I just find it hard to believe so many people can like sherman, based on his winning %. Mike Tice could have had those numbers with that team.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPackerFan said:
The only one of those guys who was a player before Sherman coached him was Henderson.

Not Favre though. Ok. I am done arguing with you, TO. Have a happy and safe 2006.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I missed Favre. He was pretty good before Sherman got there too, though he did have his worst season in a long while under Ray Rhodes, you know the one before Sherman got there.

I also think it's silly to say that because Sherman was the HC and not the running backs coach that he was not responsible for Green's development. That's absurd.

The high school crack was totally warranted IMO and based on your posts I'd say you do think your opinions are more valuable. Just my opinion though and there's nothing wrong with disagreements. Hey, if everyone thought the same way on this board it would be a pretty boring place to be.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Read an article in the Press Gazette about the long ties between Bum and Wade Phillips and TT. Phillips is interviewing on Monday, as well.

Today, from what I read, Phillips is the odds-on favorite(ya, I'm not thrilled either).

If I was Jim Bates, I would bust a chair over TT's head and tell him to shove it as far as he can. Bates meets all the needs and he's in-house.

The one candidate that I think will emerge if it's not Phillips is Sean Payton.

Regarding Favre: don't believe any of the comeback crap. He's done, their just trying to find the right time to announce it. Ted will have to be there and he's got other things on his mind. You don't cry your eyes out in the locker room and hand your heir-apparent a signed ball if your going to see them in 12 weeks at mini-camp.

A new broom sweeps clean, and Brett is out, trust me. TT couldn't give Sherman a straight-up reason why he was fired, and he won't give a straight answer about Favre, but he doesn't want him back, either. TT wants this to be his team, not Ron Wolf's, and that means ciao!, baby, right or wrong.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gotta agree with you on all points net. I'm actually holding out hope for Favre . If TT hires Wade Phillips he should be castrated. In the poll on this website, I'm the one who voted for Sean Payton. I think he is ready.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hate to say it but I agree that TT is looking to push out the old so to speak. GMs are big headed and have huge egos. TT wants to make his own mark on the league. So get resy for two to three years of dismal seasons before anything positive. Bretts gone Walker will likely be gone next year TT is a cheap *** but does not have the quality meter that wolf had. He is way focused on the future and Brett is not in it for him. You all can thank Harlan who is convienently stepping down

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

yeah..net..

and you couldn't be happier that Favre's *** was kicked out door..couldn't you?

(i don't get you..man....)

Maybe you're one of those guys that feel more comfortable rooting for a team that's sucking...

you know what they're called..."losers"...

I think you'd rather be a "long suffering" Packer fan...then a winning Packer fan....

weird...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pack66....If Favre says at his press conference that the firing of Sherman was the deal breaker in his coming back, how will you feel? I don't think Brett would say that publicly but what if?

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

wow - been away for a couple of days & we're STILL arguing over sherman?!? it's time to move on guys. he's gone - now we move on with whoever TT decides will be a good HC. if favre retires it will be for MANY reasons. the man loves the game too much to pin it solely on a coaching change. whatever brett decides, i'll support his decision. only HE knows if it's time to go & it while i do think he'll see who the new HC is & that will have some weight in his decision, i don't think it will be the ONLY reason.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

DePack..

I hear what you're saying..and I would not be happy about it..as it would DEFINITELY indict TT as on the side of the Favre haters and ingrates that reside on this board...

That is what I don't understand...

The almost "visceral" hatred of a guy who's only carried your team...(singlehandedly at times)..for 15 seasons...I mean..who are these people??...

I would hardly call them "Packer fans"....

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pack66 is right. The word "INGRATES" is perfect for the Brett Bashers.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There can't possibly be a "Packer fan" alive that doesn't want Favre back next season. Hell, even if it means hindering the rebuilding phase for another year.....which I don't think it does.......it would be worth it to see #4 behind center for another year. Imagine the ovation when he breaks Marino's all-time passing TD record in week 13......

Don't get me started. Wanting Favre to return is the main reason I supported Sherman as hard as I did. I have a bad feeling that he will be the reason I despise Thompson for years to come.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

DePack..

About 8 posts above yours in this thread...there's a "Packer fan" (so called) who doesn't want him back....

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
There can't possibly be a "Packer fan" alive that doesn't want Favre back next season. Hell, even if it means hindering the rebuilding phase for another year.....which I don't think it does.......it would be worth it to see #4 behind center for another year. Imagine the ovation when he breaks Marino's all-time passing TD record in week 13......

Don't get me started. Wanting Favre to return is the main reason I supported Sherman as hard as I did. I have a bad feeling that he will be the reason I despise Thompson for years to come.

Why do some people think that Favre coming back hinders the rebuilding Process??? Doesnt GB have a QB in waiting who would benefit from another year on the pine to develop?? And what makes people think that TT could not ask Favre to restructure his deal to get more money to negotiate for FA that will Produce. TT cannot be so dense to figure out that three years of "rebuilding" will nto be tolerated by GB fans. And dont tell me you will all give a pass to whoever the new coach is if the Pack finish 3 and 13 next year. We do and Should demand a good product as fans we are the consumers and therefore have that right. I am not happy with the firing of Sherman not because Brett may not be back but because I felt he was a decent coach and this year there are not any great coaching canidates out there. I feel that TT will come to regret his decision in the next two years. And I hate to say it but welcome to the down years. (unless TT figures it out)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack, I agree with you 100 % but am afraid we may not get to see it because of the way I think Brett will be handled this offseason. The "Ignorance is Bliss" saying will be very appropriate for many fans if Brett does retire as he won't give the real reason why ( being put out to pasture ) because as we know, he is too much of a class act. Real Sad.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't want to speak for net but I'm not sure he doesn't WANT him back. I think he just thinks TT doesn't want him back and that the Packers would be better oof moving on. However I do remember net once saying that Bart Starr was a better QB than Brett Favre. No way. net is pretty knowledgable and definately level-headed...maybe too level-headed for the likes of you and me.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

speculation is fun

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope Bates. childress would be a mistake, that offense has been less than stellar and I don't see him as a great offensive mind at all. But anyone could do better than calling a reverse on the 11 yard line like the last game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts