We hire our coach MONDAY, Jan 9th - announcement Jan 10th

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I got this from an ESPN\Associated press article:

"In addition to Phillips, Thompson said Monday he will speak to current Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates about the job."

Well, there it is. I do not know when they will announce the hiring, but Monday should all but seal the deal.

I have seen the list of interviews lined up, and none of them excite me. Also, hiring from within increases the odds of Favre coming back. If Bates is moved to HEAD COACH, he will have good input on our new DC, so our defense should remain the same, if not better(we were what, 7th overall thsi year? amazing, really). Then Bates and TT would work together to get an offensive coordinator who is worth something.

I will honestly be surprised if Bates isn't named the head coach before next friday. If it doesn't happen, please, don't feel shy about telling me I was wrong...because I strongly believe this. I almost jumped out of my chair just seeing Bates was going to be interviewed(even though I knew it was going to happen).

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: We hire our coach MONDAY, Jan 9th - announcement Jan 10t

I hope your wish comes true Trom....When i look over the list of applicants... Bates in my eyes is in a class of his own.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Bates will be a wise choice and thanks for the information trom.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I got this from an ESPN\Associated press article:

"In addition to Phillips, Thompson said Monday he will speak to current Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates about the job."

Well, there it is. I do not know when they will announce the hiring, but Monday should all but seal the deal.

I have seen the list of interviews lined up, and none of them excite me. Also, hiring from within increases the odds of Favre coming back. If Bates is moved to HEAD COACH, he will have good input on our new DC, so our defense should remain the same, if not better(we were what, 7th overall thsi year? amazing, really). Then Bates and TT would work together to get an offensive coordinator who is worth something.

I will honestly be surprised if Bates isn't named the head coach before next friday. If it doesn't happen, please, don't feel shy about telling me I was wrong...because I strongly believe this. I almost jumped out of my chair just seeing Bates was going to be interviewed(even though I knew it was going to happen).

Bates looks like the coaching type.

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep. He's really a logical choice. I also hope he's our next head coach. I think he (Jim) really bit his tongue a lot this year coaching under Sherman. Remember, his name was circulated last year for head coaching positions. I think he agreed to come here in order to take over for Sherman. So...let's get the absurd and derogatory league mandated minority interview out of the way and hire him.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerChick said:

Well there's the most brilliant rationale that I've ever heard for making someone the HC of an NFL franchise - "he looks the part." Good Lord is that ridiculous.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPackerFan said:
PackerChick said:

Well there's the most brilliant rationale that I've ever heard for making someone the HC of an NFL franchise - "he looks the part." Good Lord is that ridiculous.

You know, people on this forum have been using that rationale all season long to have Sherman fired. "He doesn't look fired up", "He doesn't show emotion", "Sherman, look excited out there!" etc, etc, etc. So, that's the mentality of some people on this board as stupid as it is.

I tried to argue against it, but it's rather pointless because the number of morons who think that way outnumber me here. True story.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really like Bates but I would think the best thing to do would be to get an offensive minded coach since we already have the defense of Bates and that way it comes out balanced. I don't know if there are any really good Offensive Coordinator candidates that could come in and not make it a big deal but Childress from Philly runs the same style of offense as the Packers thus meaning Favre would be more likely to stay on and we would still have Bates, assuming he doesnt go elsewhere to be a head coach, in that case i would want him to stay in Green Bay and go ahead and be the head coach. I don't want to lose Bates at all.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sorry friend, but this die hard packerbacker feels that TT is going after an offensive minded coach for shermans replacement.

i'll pick chidress or kubiak.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rabidgopher04 said:
TOPackerFan said:
PackerChick said:

You know, people on this forum have been using that rationale all season long to have Sherman fired. "He doesn't look fired up", "He doesn't show emotion", "Sherman, look excited out there!" etc, etc, etc. So, that's the mentality of some people on this board as stupid as it is.

I tried to argue against it, but it's rather pointless because the number of morons who think that way outnumber me here. True story.

except that football players are some of the most emotional and animated people on the face of the planet. having a guy who gets fired up does make a difference. as stupid as it sounds, it does matter. players feed off of their coach, and when he stands there looking dumbfounded, chewing on his pen, what the **** are they supposed to think? thank you.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We don't have Bates. The new HC will be given the ability to choose his own staff which may or may not include Bates. Not to mention that if Bates isn't successful in getting an HC position, he may wish to follow Sherman.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
except that football players are some of the most emotional and animated people on the face of the planet. having a guy who gets fired up does make a difference. as stupid as it sounds, it does matter. players feed off of their coach, and when he stands there looking dumbfounded, chewing on his pen, what the **** are they supposed to think? thank you.

Well, you know, I haven't heard a single player that said they didn't believe in Mike Sherman or that he lost the team throughout the season.

So I really don't think that theory holds up.

The only people that are complaining are the fans - the people who have nothing to do with what happens on the football field.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why...would he follow sherman. they werent friends or anything. that is very...odd of you to say.

i also doubt harlan lets bates go as DC. we've had 3 DCs in as many years, and this is the best one so far...so no. Just because it is a new HC coming in doesnt mean bates is gone.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

5 minute standing O when he came into address the team and, except fot that putz Mike McKenzie, nothing but good things to say about Sherman from players who have left GB.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rabidgopher04 said:
tromadz said:

Well, you know, I haven't heard a single player that said they didn't believe in Mike Sherman or that he lost the team throughout the season.

So I really don't think that theory holds up.

The only people that are complaining are the fans - the people who have nothing to do with what happens on the football field.

just because its not being said, doesnt mean its not true. have you ever played a sport of any kind?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TOPackerFan said:
We don't have Bates. The new HC will be given the ability to choose his own staff which may or may not include Bates. Not to mention that if Bates isn't successful in getting an HC position, he may wish to follow Sherman.

wow

I think the board is cracked out when it comes to thompson 'chasing favre out'...but if TT goes thru with this and in fact "chases out" Bates, who made a legit defense out of practically nothing, I'm gonna switch sides

Honestly I don't think it will be Jim Bates coaching...I don't think he wants to be a head coach because I think he could have before last season, maybe that changed, I dont know...

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Have to defend Trom, last fan Poll I saw was split 50 / 50 over Sherman leaving and that was 40,000 votes. I am not saying if this is good or bad , just the fact that a lot of fans were discontent.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry, but is the rationale that because it's not being said it is true? Don't get that argument.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bates wants the job. I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. A Mike Sherman hire and protege'. tromadz and Pack66 would have to love that.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WinnipegPackFan said:
Have to defend Trom, last fan Poll I saw was split 50 / 50 over Sherman leaving and that was 40,000 votes. I am not saying if this is good or bad , just the fact that a lot of fans were discontent.

That's my point. What the hell difference does it make what the fans think? Sherman had the players' respect. There was a standing ovation from him when he was in the locker room announcing his departure.

Trom - it doesn't matter if I played sports or not.

TOPackerFan said:
Sorry, but is the rationale that because it's not being said it is true? Don't get that argument.

I totally agree.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

no, just because its not being said, doesnt mean its not true.

just because people are saying sherman isnt respected as a coach, doesnt mean people feel that way. did i dumb that down enough for you. Im not saying it IS that way, im just saying it could easilly be that way

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry rabid,

I read the post too fast and you are right. I think he had the players respect. Just wanted to point out the fan mindset with the numbers.

please accept my apology.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

the man gave 6 years of service to the packers. He gave it his all. He deserved a standing ovation. I would have given him one. That doesnt mean I (or every member of the packers) think hes a great coach by any means. You guys are really gone...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
no, just because its not being said, doesnt mean its not true.

just because people are saying sherman isnt respected as a coach, doesnt mean people feel that way. did i dumb that down enough for you. Im not saying it IS that way, im just saying it could easilly be that way

Read my friend. I said because it's not being said does it mean it is true?

I have three college degrees, so there's no need to dumb anything down for me fella. I got the point the first time, it was just a pretty poorly worded argument.

Members online

Latest posts