Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
ESPN just reported that we have the number 5 pick. Top 5 looks like this:

Houston
New Orleans
Tennesee
New York
Green Bay

I assume Bush and Leinart are gone. That leaves us with these possibilities.

AJ Hawk
D'Brickshaw Ferguson
Mario Williams
DeAngelo Williams
Jimmy Williams

At least 3 of those names will be on the board for us to grab. This miserable season is over. Let the draft discussion begin.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
At #5 we have a shot at AJ Hawk at LB or Mario Williams DE to help the defence.

Sounds good to me. How about Kampmann, Montgomery, Mario, and KGB at DE?
Hammer

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well older fans may remember that when you have a high pick that the money becomes an issue with the players already on the team.

I think with what I have seen of the draft opinions the Packers should go with DE. KGB makes big money. Kampmann will either get a nice contract or leave for a better one. They should be happy and not get jealous of of the rookies pay. Peterson is an RFA and can't say too much.

The Packers need a good 3rd DE in the mix. There are locker room politics to consider. The Packers should get first or second DE as this is the position with the best value at that spot in the draft. OG in the second round.

It is still early and the draft is not until the last of April. Plenty of time to debate.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favreforever721 said:
Who is better...Mario Williams or Mathis K.(that one guy from Boston College)?

Mario Williams is rated higher in all the rankings I've seen. 6'7", 285lbs, very good pass-rush skills.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
jhensiak said:
Hawk to Mike LB and Barnett to Will LB......Perfect!

And no one in the middle??

Hey Gopher....a "MIKE LB is a middle linebacker...."Will" is a weak side linebacker and A "SAM" is a Strong side LB in a 43 defense. Sorry....AJ Hawk as middle LB, Barnett weak side LB, and Diggs on the strong side where he belongs....Unless you went to the Mike Tice school of football. :wink:

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jhensiak said:
Hey Gopher....a "MIKE LB is a middle linebacker...."Will" is a weak side linebacker and A "SAM" is a Strong side LB in a 43 defense. Sorry....AJ Hawk as middle LB, Barnett weak side LB, and Diggs on the strong side where he belongs....Unless you went to the Mike Tice school of football. :wink:

Gah, sorry, I wasn't paying attention. :oops:

Anyway, Hawk is an OLB and Barnett is already in the middle so why switch them around? You guys all complain about Barnett being undersized and blah blah blah, but I think he does just fine. Get someone like Hawk in there and we'll be even better.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
so who are we looking for?

My guess is one of these players (and I think they will pick and not trade):

1. AJ Hawk
2. Mario Williams
3. Haloti Ngata (looked great in the bowl game; first time I saw him play).

btw: Here's Scout Inc's top 32 (from espn.com)

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32
Player Class Pos. School
1. Reggie Bush Jr. RB USC
2. Matt Leinart Sr. QB USC
3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson Sr. OT Virginia
4. A.J. Hawk Sr. OLB Ohio St.
5. Vince Young Jr. QB Texas
6. Jimmy Williams Sr. DC Virginia Tech
7. Demeco Ryans Sr. OLB Alabama
8. Mario Williams Jr. DE N.C. State
9. DeAngelo Williams Sr. RB Memphis
10. Chad Greenway Sr. OLB Iowa
11. Jay Cutler Sr. QB Vanderbilt
12. Vernon Davis Jr. TE Maryland
13. Michael Huff Sr. DE Texas
14. Mathias Kiwanuka Sr. DE B.C.
15. Haloti Ngata Jr. DT Oregon
16. Tambi Hali Sr. DE Penn St.
17. Santonio Holmes Jr. WR Ohio St.
18. Gaines Adams Jr. DE Clemson
19. Derek Hagan Sr. WR Arizona St.
20. Paul Posluszney Jr. OLB Penn St.
21. Thomas Howard Sr. OLB UTEP
22. Orien Harris Sr. DT Miami-FL
23. Claude Wroten Sr. DT LSU
24. Sinorice Moss Sr. WR Miami-FL
25. Laurence Maroney Jr. RB Minnesota
26. Mercedes Lewis Sr. TE UCLA
27. LenDale White Jr. RB USC
28. Kelly Jennings Sr. DC Miami-FL
29. Elvis Dumervil Sr. DE Louisville
30. Brodrick Bunkley Sr. DT Florida St.
31. Rodrique Wright Sr. DT Texas
32. Marcus McNeill Sr. OT Auburn

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
jhensiak said:

Gah, sorry, I wasn't paying attention. :oops:

Anyway, Hawk is an OLB and Barnett is already in the middle so why switch them around? You guys all complain about Barnett being undersized and blah blah blah, but I think he does just fine. Get someone like Hawk in there and we'll be even better.

I have see AJ Hawk in few games, he is more physical than barnett, and moving Barnett to the weakside so he can better utilize his speed in coverage which is important on the weakside,...(because of no SS on the weakside) in cover 3

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what would be best for us...

Texas QB Vince Young and/or Notre Dame's Brady Quinn declare...so we are in position to draft them, which mean we can attract an offer from another team, in need of a QB, who wants to trade up (Baltimore, Detroit)--I think the extra draft picks would help us out extremely.

Here's my top guys assuming we keep the #5 pick, in no serious order...
1. LB AJ Hawk, Ohio State
--Be wary of Tennessee at #3, I think they would go through and pick Hawk, but if we get a shot at him, do it--our defense would start to have some intensity, we already have Nick Collins, Hawk would make our defense's potential that much greater, and I'm in support of moving Barnett to the outside if Hawk is selected. However don't sweat it, if AJ is off of the board for us there are plenty of LB's available in this draft.

2. DE Mario Williams NC State / DE Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College
--This is a tough choice, both defensive end prospects have high upsides, but they also have concerns entering the league--Mario has the ideal size, but lacks speed and quickness off the ball, Kiwi is as quick as can be, but at 260-265, he needs some weight. I'd like to wait for the combine before I'd determine which guy I want, I'll take Mario Williams, not witout some hesitation.

3. DT Haloti Ngata, Oregon
--I've been raving about this guy since this time last year. 6'5 340, and so quick at that size that Oregon has used him in coverage before, has the potential to be the guy that we need to draw double teams on every play (because I assume we lose Grady Jackson). He has the potential to be a run stopping force, as well as a threat to sack the QB from the interior line--Colin Cole, Cullen Jenkins, Corey Williams, they're GOOD at DT, but not GREAT, we need a guy who I believe can make the entire defensive line better the moment he steps on the field, and Ngata is it. Another reason I select Ngata over another d-lineman is, I would love to see Mike Montgomery get a shot to start opposite Kampman.

4. CB/S Jimmy Williams, VA Tech
--Fact, Al Harris is on the wrong side of 30, Fact, Ahmad Carroll still isn't setting the world on fire, Fact, NFL recievers are becoming too damn big--Williams at 6'3 could step in and solidify this position, or, he could also solidify free safety, making for a very potent tandem of Collins and Williams...Williams' ball skills are always talked about, we lack someone who can cause turnovers, specifically by picking passes off.

5. OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Virginia
--I view the first four picks as a crap shoot. A lot of needs for those teams, maybe this big fella falls to us. It will be interesting to see what Thompson does if he is on the board, you know how Thompson feels about drafting for value. Perhaps picking Ferguson would mean we would discard "False Start" Clifton. -OR- If Ferguson is still on the board at #5, I see some teams lining up to try and trade up and select possibly the best OT prospect since Orlando Pace, as some regard him.

6. RB Laurence Maroney, Minnesota / RB Deangelo Williams, Memphis
--I have no deep knowledge of these guys--I saw Maroney one game this season, during which he was on his back on the grass at State College for most of the afternoon; I wanted to catch Memphis' bowl game but, well, didn't. I know a lot of guys on here say select a running back, I say go with Gado for now and ALSO try to draft Lendale White, who might be on the board when we draft in the 2nd round, or sign a free agent.

With the 5th overall pick, surrogate Packer GM JW084 selects, from the University of Oregon, DT Haloti Ngata

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Barnett in the middle too. I like having an MLB who can play sideline-to-sideline. Is Hawk as fast as Barnett? If so, maybe there's room for debate here.

OP
OP
M

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Great post JW084. I think all these defensive players would hep tremendously. I really like the idea of Jimmy Williams. With 2 good corners we could pressure the QB with more blitzes. Also, taking Ahmad Carroll off the field is sure to add 5-10 years onto my life. However, I don't think he's worth the #5 pick as of now. It might not be a bad idea to trade down somewhere around the 10 spot to get him and an extra pick.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our corner depth chart isn't exactly sparkling, especially with Joey Thomas gone

we should make it our objective so that morons like Jason Horton will not stumble onto the field in ANY circumstance...we should look at some free agents (younger FA's, no Sam Madison types), or perhaps look into spending a pick on a corner, first round or even later

Members online

Latest posts