Watching Jimmy Valvano talk about Lombardi and the Packers

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn this speech brings tears to my eyes every time. God bless ya, Jimmy V... and of course, you too Vince:(

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That was a great speech from a man who would die a few weeks later. The story about quoting Lombardi in his first job as coach of Rutgers’ freshmen team is funny and I liked his reaction to the time warning. The whole thing is extremely inspirational. If you have never heard it, here’s a link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

IMO the V Foundation is a great example of how a charity should be run. The operating expenses of the foundation are paid from the income from an endowment fund so 100% of the money given goes to cancer research. It has consistently been rated highly by Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org/), a great source to check out charities.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I made my inlaws watch Valvano's speech the other night - two of them are fighting cancer. It's an inspirational speech for sure, but Jim always had a way of making people laugh. "All eyes on me.....Rrrrutgers University."

I upped my donation this year. They've done a great job raising awareness and money for breast cancer, but there are many other types of cancers that also need to be fought!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJV reminded me about something I saw in the 2hr documentary about Valvano and his 1982/83 Wolfpack team. Jim's reasoning behind the Jimmy V Foundation was not only to fight cancer, but that he hated losing. He knew that cancer was going to beat him initially but with the Jimmy V Foundation he felt that it was his way of ultimately beating cancer, even after his own death.

A great way to carry on the fight and never lose

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I attended a Wolfpack booster club event with my stepfather at a high school here in Charlotte where Valvano introduced a new recruit named Spud Webb. Valvano told the boosters, "Wait until you see this kid play! You're not going to believe your eyes." Webb was 5' 6", but could jump to the ceiling.

Valvano and Lombardi. Two great men lost way too soon.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a speech that Jimmy gave to the Million Dollar round table in 1987 that was incorporated into the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "Survive and Advance". It is hands down one of the best speeches I've ever heard. If you have an hour to spend on it, here it is
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Also, the ESPN documentary on the 1983 NC State Wolfpack basketball team is one of the very best sports docs I have ever seen. If you have 2 hours, I highly recommend it. Part 1
Part 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts