watch "Last day at Lambeau"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
believe they would have gotten higher compensation and not have caused all the damage to the franchise if they had MANAGED/HANDLED things better. I'm not seeing where we disagree.

Now your statements are making better sense to me..Thank you..

What were teams offering for Brett?

But I do not see any damage that they caused?

I was there opening night vs Minny in 08 and the cheers for Rodgers at that time were HUGE..

And I was there the times Minny with Brett came to play in GB and again, the cheers for Rodgers were huge and the boos for Brett were equally as loud

So can you expand on how the damage they caused?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now your statements are making better sense to me..Thank you..

What were teams offering for Brett?

But I do not see any damage that they caused?

I was there opening night vs Minny in 08 and the cheers for Rodgers at that time were HUGE..

And I was there the times Minny with Brett came to play in GB and again, the cheers for Rodgers were huge and the boos for Brett were equally as loud

So can you expand on how the damage they caused?

Go back to my original peeve....it's never changed..... "Mishandled" is the word I used

No clue what teams were offering or what they WOULD have offered, nobody really knows, having been a pretty successful negotiator all my life I do know that when you lose leverage ( which the Packers did), you get offered less. When you eliminate potential trading partners you get offered less.

The damage was A) less compensation B) looking like inept fools C) losing the "special" luster, they DID stoop to unethical behavior, by exhibiting fear of facing Favre again they looked cowardly, by trying to bribe Favre into (real) retirement they surrendered a little bit of that "something special" that no other NFL franchise really had, TT didn't "get it", neither did (either) MM, nor do a few posters here. I don't think they ever quite get it back, maybe, MAYBE, if "they" can figure out how to heal this wound.

I expected Green Bay management to handle things BETTER, something along the lines of " it's come to our attention that Brett Favre is contemplating changing his mind and playing football this coming season, Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback, that decision is irrevocable, we are genuinely grateful for everything Brett has done while a member of the Packers, if he truly wants to play football again it will be for another team and we look forward to competing against him because,that is what sports are all about. I encourage any and all teams to contact us about his availability"

Better for Favre, Better for the organization, better for fans, better for Rodgers, better for football........ In my opinion

As far as Rodgers being cheered and Favre booed when he returned, I would certainly hope fans would be behind the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers rather than the quarterback of the Minnesota ViQueens...... Hell they cheered for McMahn when he wore green and gold

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go back to my original peeve....it's never changed..... "Mishandled" is the word I used

No clue what teams were offering or what they WOULD have offered, nobody really knows, having been a pretty successful negotiator all my life I do know that when you lose leverage ( which the Packers did), you get offered less. When you eliminate potential trading partners you get offered less.

The damage was A) less compensation B) looking like inept fools C) losing the "special" luster, they DID stoop to unethical behavior, by exhibiting fear of facing Favre again they looked cowardly, by trying to bribe Favre into (real) retirement they surrendered a little bit of that "something special" that no other NFL franchise really had, TT didn't "get it", neither did (either) MM, nor do a few posters here. I don't think they ever quite get it back, maybe, MAYBE, if "they" can figure out how to heal this wound.

I expected Green Bay management to handle things BETTER, something along the lines of " it's come to our attention that Brett Favre is contemplating changing his mind and playing football this coming season, Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback, that decision is irrevocable, we are genuinely grateful for everything Brett has done while a member of the Packers, if he truly wants to play football again it will be for another team and we look forward to competing against him because,that is what sports are all about. I encourage any and all teams to contact us about his availability"

Better for Favre, Better for the organization, better for fans, better for Rodgers, better for football........ In my opinion

As far as Rodgers being cheered and Favre booed when he returned, I would certainly hope fans would be behind the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers rather than the quarterback of the Minnesota ViQueens...... Hell they cheered for McMahn when he wore green and gold

....and again... of ALL the pet peeves...THAT is what you pick huh? nuff said I think.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I named 3, this was one, another was related, the final being people who hold injuries against a player, which is of course ridiculous...... I guess I'm a pretty happy camper:)

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're suggesting that it's okay for a player to deliberately hold a press conference and publicly retire verbally, get on the cover of SI and every sports section cover of every newspaper in the country, get thousands of of accolades, etc. Sorry, but forget your "papers were never filed" load of crap. The team went through OTA's, mini-camps, etc. with Rodgers as the starter, but you're basically saying, "Screw Rodgers and the coaches, Favre comes first".

The hell he does. Here's what we know for sure ... had Favre remained the QB, there's no way that XLV happens, because he would have found yet another way to throw the season down the tubes before they ever even got there. FACT.
Can you say Michael Jordan?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The damage was A) less compensation B)

You stated you dont know what was being offered, but here you state they got less? Explain? how can they get less, if you didnt know what they were being offered..It is your opinion they got less, but not a fact

looking like inept fools C)

These are statements I have an issue with..This is your opinion and not a fact..Brett lied more than once, yet not one lie have you posted from the Packers..

losing the "special" luster,

I explained that Rodgers got real loud cheers that 1st game he was a starter...

So how did the Pack lose the luster? did hotels loose money that 1st season? Bars? I think they sold out every game and was still a tough ticket..

Or is it just a perception that the luster was gone?

they DID stoop to unethical behavior, by exhibiting fear of facing Favre again they looked cowardly,

They knew he was still good, so you dont face a guy that can beat you, yet unethical??? Where? Brett did the lying, not the team..

by trying to bribe Favre into (real) retirement

Bribe is a lie...

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/interesting-read-from-js-online.16815/page-3#post-252584

I posted it there in 2009

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/i-called-it.18082/page-7#post-263569

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/31948684.html

Brett admits it isnt a bribe
Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp.

He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports.

That article states the been working on it for a long time..

. We have been working on that (deal) for some time."
His description of the marketing deal explains why negotiations are taking so long. The Packers stand to make a lot of money marketing Favre's image and his approval could be worth much more than the club is offering.

Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp. He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports.

So he tells us that it isnt a bribe and they been working on it and that is why things are taking long..

Read it again, Brett states it isnt a bribe...

Then---lies, and unethical behavoir

As a HUGE Brett fan at the time, this really made me start to re think the entire situation and begin to truly look with open eyes...

I expected Green Bay management to handle things BETTER,

Brett himself out right lied in the span of 2 weeks...

Yet you only say the Packers embarrassed themselves?

Thins I am sticking to are actual quotes from Brett and why I have issues with him...

Some (such as yourself) still think the team was wrong..And that is FINE!!

But please dont use the excuse as they were unethical...I posted actual Brett quotes to back up my claims.

I have yet to see things said by the team to show unethical behavior..Only opinions by you that you formed by things they did..Even the Googell thing was more a push to get the two sides to fix their issue...

This would have been great if the Packers did say this (other then we want to compete against him)

Poor business to trade to your biggest rival, specially when he was playing at a good level still.

it's come to our attention that Brett Favre is contemplating changing his mind and playing football this coming season, Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback, that decision is irrevocable, we are genuinely grateful for everything Brett has done while a member of the Packers, if he truly wants to play football again it will be for another team and we look forward to competing against him because,that is what sports are all about. I encourage any and all teams to contact us about his availability"

When was the last time a team announced they were trading their best player?

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Youre
You stated you dont know what was being offered, but here you state they got less? Explain? how can they get less, if you didnt know what they were being offered..It is your opinion they got less, but not a fact

These are statements I have an issue with..This is your opinion and not a fact..Brett lied more than once, yet not one lie have you posted from the Packers..

I explained that Rodgers got real loud cheers that 1st game he was a starter...

So how did the Pack lose the luster? did hotels loose money that 1st season? Bars? I think they sold out every game and was still a tough ticket..

Or is it just a perception that the luster was gone?

They knew he was still good, so you dont face a guy that can beat you, yet unethical??? Where? Brett did the lying, not the team..

Bribe is a lie...

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/interesting-read-from-js-online.16815/page-3#post-252584

I posted it there in 2009

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/i-called-it.18082/page-7#post-263569

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/31948684.html

Brett admits it isnt a bribe

That article states the been working on it for a long time..

So he tells us that it isnt a bribe and they been working on it and that is why things are taking long..

Read it again, Brett states it isnt a bribe...

Then---lies, and unethical behavoir

As a HUGE Brett fan at the time, this really made me start to re think the entire situation and begin to truly look with open eyes...

Brett himself out right lied in the span of 2 weeks...

Yet you only say the Packers embarrassed themselves?

Thins I am sticking to are actual quotes from Brett and why I have issues with him...

Some (such as yourself) still think the team was wrong..And that is FINE!!

But please dont use the excuse as they were unethical...I posted actual Brett quotes to back up my claims.

I have yet to see things said by the team to show unethical behavior..Only opinions by you that you formed by things they did..Even the Googell thing was more a push to get the two sides to fix their issue...

This would have been great if the Packers did say this (other then we want to compete against him)

Poor business to trade to your biggest rival, specially when he was playing at a good level still.

When was the last time a team announced they were trading their best player?[/quot

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you say Michael Jordan?

Michael Jordan never threw bricks at the backboard when the season was on the line. He put the ball where it was supposed to go. I can't say that about what, the last five years of Favre's career?

That's the end of any Bulls-glorifying I'm going to do. Go Bucks.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Favre sucked, you're right
What a sack he was
I wish he had never been a Packer
Every pick is the QBs fault
Risk/reward calculations are a bunch of smoke and mirrors
Favre was actually calling all the shots
Not Sherman, not McCarthy, not Thompson
They kept sending him out there
They had the power to sit him ANY time they chose, but they did not
And Jordan never missed a shot
What-ever

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Favre sucked, you're right
What a sack he was
I wish he had never been a Packer
Every pick is the QBs fault
Risk/reward calculations are a bunch of smoke and mirrors
Favre was actually calling all the shots
Not Sherman, not McCarthy, not Thompson
They kept sending him out there
They had the power to sit him ANY time they chose, but they did not
And Jordan never missed a shot
What-ever

I have come to learn that when posters become frustrated and cant think of how to debate something, they get defensive and make up stuff.

No denying in 2 of last 3 real playing years, he tossed an int to end his chance to to the SB.

That was his point

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One sure fire way to never throw an interception, never throw a pass, you guys have gone so far afield it's getting ridiculous

If you're proud of the way the packers handled the situation all I can say is you have your standards, I have mine

You say they mishandled the situation, yet you defend the way they handled it.... Hard to fathom

Would I be afraid to face a player I deemed expendable? No I would not, again, a difference of our competitive makeup, a difference in character

If you think the whole Favre debacle constitutes a proud chapter in the Packer story you're entitled to your opinion

Leadership starts at the top, that's Ted Thompson (Mark Murphy kind of stepped onto a moving train) and Mike McCarthy....Packer leadership failed
If you want to make excuses for them that's fine, again, we have different standards and expectations

If you admit failure ( the packers mishandled the situation) yet defend it, I really cannot help you, you're trying to justify a failure to perform

There is no justification or excuse for failure..... If you embrace it or even accept it, I just have to move on

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One sure fire way to never throw an interception, never throw a pass, you guys have gone so far afield it's getting ridiculous

If you're proud of the way the packers handled the situation all I can say is you have your standards, I have mine

You say they mishandled the situation, yet you defend the way they handled it.... Hard to fathom

Would I be afraid to face a player I deemed expendable? No I would not, again, a difference of our competitive makeup, a difference in character

If you think the whole Favre debacle constitutes a proud chapter in the Packer story you're entitled to your opinion

Leadership starts at the top, that's Ted Thompson (Mark Murphy kind of stepped onto a moving train) and Mike McCarthy....Packer leadership failed
If you want to make excuses for them that's fine, again, we have different standards and expectations

If you admit failure ( the packers mishandled the situation) yet defend it, I really cannot help you, you're trying to justify a failure to perform

There is no justification or excuse for failure..... If you embrace it or even accept it, I just have to move on

Here's the thing cheese... and I want you to think about this and let it sink in. You keep saying the Packers front office looks like inept fools. Yet, only you and about 3 other Packer fans have that opinion. hmmmmmm

There's a big difference between "could have done things differently and "were inept fools". I think you should focus on the pink ****** cakes. THAT is really a bad situation.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I have said they could have done things different, but end result would been the same. How can you come to the conclusion that I said they failed?

You could drive one way to a place and someone else drive a totally different way..End result- you till get there in about same time...Not a failure, just a different way of handling it

Since I have been explaining why I think Brett was unethical, you now think I was happy for the Packers..Since you have been saying how the Packers mishandled things, you must be ecstatic that Brett lied and went about it the way he did..

Add that in with the repeated questions/comments on why you defend Brett, even when shown quotes of lies--you offer no rebuttal to it, instead you counter with everything about the Packers..

Yes, time to move on

Last edited:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said they could have done things different, but end result would been the same. How can you come to the conclusion that I said they failed?

You could drive one way to a place and someone else drive a totally different way..End result- you till get there in about same time...Not a failure, just a different way of handling it

Repeated questions on why you defend Brett even when shown quotes of lies--no rebuttal to it, instead you counter with everything about the Packers..

Yes, time to move on

I'm not going to argue with him either, it's pointless. Undies in a bunch because obviously, he took Favre's side and ... he LOST! There was a poster on the previous forum I used to be on - he actually said, after they won Super Bowl XLV, "I couldn't really enjoy it". LOL, wow. So in other words, he was more of a Favre fan, more than he is a Packer fan. Brilliant. It must really suck to be lonely on that side of the fence.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with him either, it's pointless. Undies in a bunch because obviously, he took Favre's side and ... he LOST! There was a poster on the previous forum I used to be on - he actually said, after they won Super Bowl XLV, "I couldn't really enjoy it". LOL, wow. So in other words, he was more of a Favre fan, more than he is a Packer fan. Brilliant. It must really suck to be lonely on that side of the fence.

You are totally right. There are a select few blind die hard brentint FvReint followers out there that, rather than admit to being duped like the rest of us, they keep fighting it. Say it with me cheese..."Hello, my name is AKCheese and I'm a recovering brent favrfereint apologist."

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are totally right. There are a select few blind die hard brentint FvReint followers out there that, rather than admit to being duped like the rest of us, they keep fighting it. Say it with me cheese..."Hello, my name is AKCheese and I'm a recovering brent favrfereint apologist."

Hilarious. Whatever. I've never wavered. What we saw transpire in the Vikings-Saints NFC title game to what happened just over 365 days later, is the stuff dreams are made of, for the Packer fans who have always subscribed to the theory that no one single player is above the team. I really don't care if Favre was better than Whitehurst, ****ey, Majkowski, or Dilweg. I will always be more of a fan of the helmet and uniform, than I am a fan of the person wearing it. They come and go - the helmet and uniform stay the same.

Favre put the Packers in a horrible, precarious position for no coherent reason. So, F him and good riddance. Go play with your white beard and continue to bitterly snicker because Ted, Mike, and Aaron got rings and shoved them up your ****. It's called karma and it exists for very valid reasons.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe you used the term "mishandled" just as I did.... Mishandle = failure in my book

Actually I'm the one who both recognizes Brett's missteps as well as the Packer's. I'm the one who assigns blame to both parties. That's the real world. Some jilted lovers just can't handle it. I have friends who are divorced and 15 years later still can't stand to be in the same room with their ex. Makes it difficult at family times, like weddings. These are the same kind of people who will boo when Favre returns to Lambeau, (and refer to him by sophomoric names now) you just have to feel sad for them really.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What mistakes do you think Brett made?

In all seriousness, it seems you only have blasted the Packers and that is why a few of us are debating/arguing with you

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In all seriousness, it seems you only have blasted the Packers and that is why a few of us are debating/arguing with you

I think his color choice on those crocks was horrible. didn't compliment his watch or shorts.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This started out as a discussion of biggest Packer peeve and that's where I'm leaving it, not going into Favre's imperfections that's another long road I'm not going down. Not why I came to this forum ( nor is THIS discussion actually), I will say obviously the annual "retirement" issue got tiresome. I think he made a genuine a comment early on and was amazed at the (over) reaction. Then he got asked about it at the end and beginning of each season. A few times I think he was amused like the time the press showed up at his golf tourney looking for an announcement. I think he played around with "them" and in a way it was funny in its ridiculousness but it hurt him and it hurt the GBP.

I remember early on I expressed concern about him actually retiring and my dad scoffed (btw my dad loved the packers but really didn't have much time for any individual athlete) anyhow he just laughed and said "this is all BS, that guy will NEVER retire, they'll carry him out on his shield" which in essence is what happened.

So the whole retirement drama "game" (and I think it essentially was a game) never should have been started by Favre and the Packers should have refused to "play"

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen, dude. This proves that you really do "get it". Case closed.

Here's what I get, and yes the case really is closed.

A commander is always responsible.... Always

Command of the front office went from Ron Wolf to Mike Sherman to Ted Thompson.... Period

The Favre situation did not suddenly pop up overnight, it emerged because of decisions and actions taken by these men over time culminating in the events at the end

Favre was not a commander, manager, or leader ( in the organizational sense). Favre was a soldier, he was "labor".

If I as a commander had tried to blame my mishandling on a subordinate for a situation I had allowed to occur and had in fact created in the first place, I would have been relieved.

Ted Thompson got off easy, winning a Super Bowl erases a lot of "sins", same way Favre got away with a lot of things based on great things he did on the field

That's what I "get"

That's what a lot of people DON'T "get"

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AKCheese - It really doesn't matter. Bottom line - he should have signed his retirement papers immediately after the press conference on March 8, 2008. Had he done that like a good little boy, then all would have been good in the world and there would have been zero drama to ever have started! Commanders have no control over their subordinates making stupid decisions, like circus-starting.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AKCheese - It really doesn't matter. Bottom line - he should have signed his retirement papers immediately after the press conference on March 8, 2008. Had he done that like a good little boy, then all would have been good in the world and there would have been zero drama to ever have started! Commanders have no control over their subordinates making stupid decisions, like circus-starting.
Here we go again. AK sums it up beautifully yet the Favre shots continue. Let it go.

AK--Thank you again for your service. If we all did stint in the military, your assessment would be more readily accepted.

Latest posts