watch "Last day at Lambeau"

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the core problem is he never really said anything about the fans.

Had he said the right things not as many people would of been pissed off.

I cannot deny what he did for the team in his early years. I remember watching him as a young kid every sunday. He was my Icon has kid. Its just a shame what a huge Ego does to someone. No one put his Ego in check and it got too big for his britches. A normal level headed person would not of done the stuff that he did.

There are 2 Versions of Favre. The Early great years and the end of his career. I hate the Favre at the end of the Carrer. But Respect his early days.

Mike Sherman never put his ego in check, so when MM did he didn't know what to do and took it as disrespect.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mike Sherman did sooooo much to try and ruin this franchise as a GM, not purposely just through his own incompetence, from bad draft picks, terrible contracts, allowing Favre to run the show, sleeping at the combine (One of my personal favorites) that I can't believe the hatred TT gets. I can understand disagreeing with TT and his philosophy because it isn't everyones cup of tea, and I don't even agree with everything he does. One of the co-hosts to the Big Show yesterday on 1250 WSSP here in Milwaukee yesterday was saying that he'd love to see what MM could do with a GM that gave him tools he could actually use, I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of it. I for the life of me will never understand this thinking. Again, TT is by no means perfect and I will never say he is but we are lucky to have him. How many other teams would jump at the chance to land TT if he were ever fired? I'll say at least 25.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into a TT discussion I swear but this documentary IMO sheds some light onto what kind of a guy TT really was then and is now. He doesn't deserve to be hated because of the summer of '08 which is IMO where alot of is all comes from.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I also heard from WSSP reporter that said during the whole saga was that Ted didnt want Brett to look bad in the media.

But yet, Brett's inner circle hated ari fleischer was hired and thought it was to spin everything negative to Brett

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also heard from WSSP reporter that said during the whole saga was that Ted didnt want Brett to look bad in the media.

But yet, Brett's inner circle hated ari fleischer was hired and thought it was to spin everything negative to Brett

Was that from an actual Packers reporter or someone form the station?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was that from an actual Packers reporter or someone form the station?

someone they had on...Not sure who

Also something about the actual board of directors had a say in it as well??? I faintly recall something to that effect?? Could be wrong

But I do know that Bergstrom car dealer who is on the board was in favor of letting Brett go...and Brett was considered a "Friend" or at the very least did commercials for them

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is what makes me upset when I hear people rag on how TT and MAC "handled" this situation. To this day, all the Packers have done is take the high road. They didn't even issue the timeline until they really started taking heat and even then, all they did was state facts without adding any private conversation information that by all accounts would make brentint look even worse.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always said that although a great GM, Ron Wolf's greatest failure and mistake was turning the reins over to Mike Sherman.

Sherman was not a terrible coach, in the sense of X's and O's. But he lacked the ability to control a locker room and keep egos in check.

He was also as bad of a GM as there has ever been in the NFL. He was severely underqualified to be a multi-role GM/coach.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always said that although a great GM, Ron Wolf's greatest failure and mistake was turning the reins over to Mike Sherman.

Sherman was not a terrible coach, in the sense of X's and O's. But he lacked the ability to control a locker room and keep egos in check.

He was also as bad of a GM as there has ever been in the NFL. He was severely underqualified to be a multi-role GM/coach.

agreed. i was watching the Mike Holmgren "Miked Up" episode last week. It was awesome. At one point a guy comes off the field after doing something stupid and Mike goes "Hey, so how would you feel if I cut your a## on Monday when we get back to Seattle!" Would you like that? NO" THEN DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!"

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. i was watching the Mike Holmgren "Miked Up" episode last week. It was awesome. At one point a guy comes off the field after doing something stupid and Mike goes "Hey, so how would you feel if I cut your a## on Monday when we get back to Seattle!" Would you like that? NO" THEN DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!"

I saw this.. It was great!! He was talking to Jervey wasn't he?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Wolf shares the blame but it was Harlan's decision, so it's much more on him. Harlan says he struggled going away from the structure he put in place that led to the Packers’ “rebirth” in the early 1990s. Too bad he didn't struggle more. He really liked Sherman and didn’t want to hire a GM who might fire him (BTW, Thompson took the job on the condition he wouldn't fire Sherman the first year.) And perhaps he thought Mark Hatley, who was the number two personnel guy, would be the pseudo GM. Hatley died in the summer of ’94 and if he had a positive effect, it wasn’t enough of one before he died. Anyway, I give Harlan great credit for fixing the structure of the organization and for getting the Lambeau renovation done, but promoting a guy who had zero GM experience was a very bad idea.

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

Agreed. Sherman was a decent coach. Got to the playoffs every year besides his last season. But his Draft picks were beyond ****.

I cant remember any notable picks Sherman got from the draft.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Sherman was a decent coach. Got to the playoffs every year besides his last season. But his Draft picks were beyond ****.

I cant remember any notable picks Sherman got from the draft.

Off the top of my head... Barnett, Kampman, Corey Williams, Wells but yes you're correct he was awful.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Examples, telling Favre he could not come to camp (the commissioner had to intervene and publicly explain Favre's contractual status and status under the collective bargaining agreement, and instruct Packer Management to stop being ridiculous), that was embarrassing. sending somebody to Miss. to essentially try to bribe Favre to not play football again......ludicrous. Planting stories that the Vikings had tampered, the league investigated and cleared the ViQueens. Planting stories that Favre had a secret cell phone (part of the whole "tampering" smear.) every day there was a new stupid action by the Packers. Just announce that you're taking trade offers for,the guy and be done with it. Being so afraid to face Favre that when they finally, FINALLY pulled their head out of their butt to trade him (at a bargain basement price at this point due to their bungling) they tried to bury him in a place they would never have to face him again, understandable since the following year he beat them twice. It was embarrassing as a Packer fan to read how terrified they were at the prospect of ever having to face this guy again. Have the courage of your convictions, trade him, thank him for his years of service as a Packer, and with a square jaw and a set of balls say you look forward to competing against him down the road. Good lord the whole way the situation was mishandled was pathetic. Anyone who says the franchise handled the situation "well" in my opinion needs to have their head examined. And those who keep whining about " oh yeah but Brett hit me first" you sound like 5 year olds. Management should have competently handled the situation without the kind of ****** cowardly theatrics I mentioned above ( and more ). They did not. Does Favre warrant criticism? Yes he does, this thread is not about Favre peeves, it's about Packer peeves. I expect management to meet certain standards of competence and ethical behavior, in the Favre episode they failed miserably. It was a sad chapter for the franchise. If anyone can honestly defend the way the Packers handled it, all along the way, I just can't relate to your way of thinking.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Examples, telling Favre he could not come to camp (the commissioner had to intervene and publicly explain Favre's contractual status and status under the collective bargaining agreement, and instruct Packer Management to stop being ridiculous), that was embarrassing. sending somebody to Miss. to essentially try to bribe Favre to not play football again......ludicrous. Planting stories that the Vikings had tampered, the league investigated and cleared the ViQueens. Planting stories that Favre had a secret cell phone (part of the whole "tampering" smear.) every day there was a new stupid action by the Packers. Just announce that you're taking trade offers for,the guy and be done with it. Being so afraid to face Favre that when they finally, FINALLY pulled their head out of their butt to trade him (at a bargain basement price at this point due to their bungling) they tried to bury him in a place they would never have to face him again, understandable since the following year he beat them twice. It was embarrassing as a Packer fan to read how terrified they were at the prospect of ever having to face this guy again. Have the courage of your convictions, trade him, thank him for his years of service as a Packer, and with a square jaw and a set of balls say you look forward to competing against him down the road. Good lord the whole way the situation was mishandled was pathetic. Anyone who says the franchise handled the situation "well" in my opinion needs to have their head examined. And those who keep whining about " oh yeah but Brett hit me first" you sound like 5 year olds. Management should have competently handled the situation without the kind of ****** cowardly theatrics I mentioned above ( and more ). They did not. Does Favre warrant criticism? Yes he does, this thread is not about Favre peeves, it's about Packer peeves. I expect management to meet certain standards of competence and ethical behavior, in the Favre episode they failed miserably. It was a sad chapter for the franchise. If anyone can honestly defend the way the Packers handled it, all along the way, I just can't relate to your way of thinking.
I'll add a couple of things in defense of the GB front office. Hopefully, it will mitigate some of the hate.

Some of the mishandling, which I agree with is likely a function of:

•TT rarely talks to the media. He should but he's an introvert and for whatever reason he doesn't.
•Murphy was new and didn't step up to handle.

I think Harlan should have managed the situation as outgoing president. To AK's point, nobody communicated. They didn't talk to the press. They wanted to send Farve his locker and pay him off to stay retired.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you watch "Last Day at Lambeau"? Serious question.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll add a couple of things in defense of the GB front office. Hopefully, it will mitigate some of the hate.

Some of the mishandling, which I agree with is likely a function of:

TT rarely talks to the media. He should but he's an introvert and for whatever reason he doesn't.
Murphy was new and didn't step up to handle.

I think Harlan should have managed the situation as outgoing president. To AK's point, nobody communicated. They didn't talk to the press. They wanted to send Farve his locker and pay him off to stay retired.

1. Completely agree with this about TT. He absolutely is an introvert but that shouldn't define him. I don't know the guy personally but from everything I've heard/read he's a very emotional guy. Also, very sneaky funny as well. I wish he's show some of that.

2. The point about Murphy is absolutely correct as well. I almost feel bad for the guy. He was thrown into the fire and never should have been.

Interesting take about Harlan too. I wonder if he had any say into any of this.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect management to meet certain standards of competence and ethical behavior, in the Favre episode they failed miserably. It was a sad chapter for the franchise. If anyone can honestly defend the way the Packers handled it, all along the way, I just can't relate to your way of thinking.

He instigated and the started everything all by himself. So, yes - I will defend the way management "handled" it. Who cares? He destroyed and ruined 15 years of his legacy, all by himself. As for management - had he not forced their hand and stayed home where he belonged (he sure as hell didn't belong in Green Bay after March 8, 2008), then they wouldn't have had to inadvertently "drive down there, offer retirement packages", and all that other nonsense. Screw him. Green Bay is a better place without him and uh ... Aaron Rodgers proves that every time he breathes air. This isn't up for debate, the proof is in the pudding.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He instigated and the started everything all by himself. So, yes - I will defend the way management "handled" it. Who cares? He destroyed and ruined 15 years of his legacy, all by himself. As for management - had he not forced their hand and stayed home where he belonged (he sure as hell didn't belong in Green Bay after March 8, 2008), then they wouldn't have had to inadvertently "drive down there, offer retirement packages", and all that other nonsense. Screw him. Green Bay is a better place without him and uh ... Aaron Rodgers proves that every time he breathes air. This isn't up for debate, the proof is in the pudding.

Exactly right. It's the very fact that Packer "management" wasn't used to handling such an egomaniac, self centered azzwipe like brent that made this all hard to "manage". In damn near any other NFL town they'd kick him out and tell him to not let the door hit him in the azzzzzzz!

Just like arm chair GM ing player roster moves, it's easy to now say after the fact what Packer management should have done. The fact is, brent and his blind followers wouldn't be happy with any ending here that didn't involve IntBrentINT getting his butt kissed on the 50 yard line by Ted! After ALL the BS BrEINT FevreINT pulled, it really takes a special kind of Packer "fan" to even begin to rag on the Packers "management" over the issue. Notice there is no I-N-T in management! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly right. It's the very fact that Packer "management" wasn't used to handling such an egomaniac, self centered azzwipe like brent that made this all hard to "manage". In damn near any other NFL town they'd kick him out and tell him to not let the door hit him in the azzzzzzz!

Just like arm chair GM ing player roster moves, it's easy to now say after the fact what Packer management should have done. The fact is, brent and his blind followers wouldn't be happy with any ending here that didn't involve IntBrentINT getting his butt kissed on the 50 yard line by Ted! After ALL the BS BrEINT FevreINT pulled, it really takes a special kind of Packer "fan" to even begin to rag on the Packers "management" over the issue. Notice there is no I-N-T in management! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Indeed. I had hoped that by now, my vile disgust for what he did to the team and put them through would have dissipated by now. But alas ... it hasn't - not one bit and this is why they keep delaying the jersey retirement ceremony - because Bretty Boo-Boo is nervous about getting booed right out of the stadium. I have Gold package season tickets and if he's there, I'd be quickly inclined to throw darts at him. Seriously, just straight up F that guy. I'd rather discuss Vince Ferragamo, Chuck Fusina, Blair Kiel, and Anthony Dilweg, at this point.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Planting stories that the Vikings had tampered, the league investigated and cleared the ViQueens. Planting stories that Favre had a secret cell phone (part of the whole "tampering" smear.) every day there was a new stupid action by the Packers. Just announce that you're taking trade offers for,the guy and be done with it. Being so afraid to face Favre that when they finally, FINALLY pulled their head out of their butt to trade him (at a bargain basement price at this point due to their bungling) they tried to bury him in a place they would never have to face him again, understandable since the following year he beat them twice.
1. Secret cell phone: Probably the one he was using to send naked pics of himself jerking off to all those women.
2. Viqueen Tampering: He called the Lions to give them tips on beating the Packers - not to far fetched to think he was also calling the Queens. Just because something can't be 'proved' doesn't mean it didn't happen. I seem to recall in one of his interviews trying to make the Packers look bad - he was asked about the Vikings and he referred to the Vikings as 'we' - as if he was already a part of the team.
3. Bargain basement price: Favre wasn't worth much - as proven by his continual late season choke mode. Surprised we got anything for him.
4. Paying off Favre to stay retired. Another lie by Brett. The endorsement package that he turned down was offered and had been negotiated for the last several months PRIOR to his un-retiring.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Secret cell phone: Probably the one he was using to send naked pics of himself jerking off to all those women.
2. Viqueen Tampering: He called the Lions to give them tips on beating the Packers - not to far fetched to think he was also calling the Queens. Just because something can't be 'proved' doesn't mean it didn't happen. I seem to recall in one of his interviews trying to make the Packers look bad - he was asked about the Vikings and he referred to the Vikings as 'we' - as if he was already a part of the team.
3. Bargain basement price: Favre wasn't worth much - as proven by his continual late season choke mode. Surprised we got anything for him.
4. Paying off Favre to stay retired. Another lie by Brett. The endorsement package that he turned down was offered and had been negotiated for the last several months PRIOR to his un-retiring.

Always letting facts get in the way of an illogical and uninformed "opinion". :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre, or somebody like him doesn't come along, the Packers would (still) be perennial doormats. If the Packers had not had the resurgence Favre made possible, no Reggie White, no Super Bowl, probably no Aaron Rodgers, who knows, maybe we'd have won the Ryan Leaf sweepstakes, it's totally impossible to tell. I suppose we also could have wound up with Peyton Manning. Also without the Favre led resurgence it's highly highly doubtful the taxpayers would have voted to fund a renovation of Lambeau. In that case Lambeau would be one of the biggest dumps in the NFL instead of one of,the better stadiums. So as somebody who lived through the Lombardi years as well as the dark ages, I'm very very grateful to everything Favre did for the Packers to help make them the standout franchise they are today. He's an imperfect human being, as are we all, but he was a great great Packer and an even greater football player.

Members online

Latest posts