1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Was it really worth it to let Matt Flynn go?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Forget Favre, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    well......he stunk it up.....was to be expected, he really does not have anyone worth a crap to throw to or a decent line to keep him safe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,382
    What exactly is it about the situation that we "woulda coulda shoulda" done? Slapped a $15M franchise tag on a player that would have ideally never played a down except in garbage time? Traded Rodgers for a slewful of picks and made Flynn the starter? Those sound like potentially job and career-endangering decisions for Ted Thompson.

I'm just asking for some reasonable and realistic way as to how we could have kept Matt Flynn. You can't even say "match Seattle's offer" because 1) Paying nearly $9M a year to a backup is an enormous waste of resources and 2) There is no reason Flynn would have stayed here for the same amount knowing at the time he would have had no chance of ever starting here.

3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    Just think of this as the "Matt Flynn Appreciation Thread."

4. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,382
    Okay, I appreciate the fact that Matt Flynn was a very good backup QB for us. I also appreciate the fact that if Rodgers misses long-term time, it won't matter whether Matt Flynn, Graham Harrell, Vince Young, BJ Coleman, or Seneca Wallace is the backup QB.

5. azrsx05

azrsx05 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +44
    Flynn is now the Raiders 3rd string QB

6. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,823
    At least, God forbid, if Rodgers got hurt, we could offer Flynn a chance to come back as a fill in as he knows our system ? if thats at all possible under NFL rules ?

7. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. atthegates97

atthegates97 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    i say he ends up signing here. seems logical i think.

9. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    • Like Like x 1
  10. FP562

FP562 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    I hope we sign him again, poor guy can't catch a break

11. P-E-Z

P-E-Z Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    he was cut at Oakland

12. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,014
    People that really want him, STOP and THINK on this for a moment.

Too bad the Vikings already got Freemen or they'd be on him like flies on stink!

• Like Like x 1
  13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,445
    What's wrong with wanting Matt Flynn back for the right price? The Vikings need a starting quarterback. We need a backup quarterback. BIG difference. The central question that should be easy for Packers brass to make is if what they had in Matt Flynn through 2011 was better or worse than the Seneca Wallace that they've seen over the past five weeks. I'm not sure that any of us know the answer since none of us have seen a pass out of Wallace. All that us fans have is recent memories of games played by both QBs when they were with other teams and other offenses.

All offseason and throughout camp we argued about whether Harrell or Coleman could go in and win a game if AR went down. At least as of 2011, we knew that Flynn could do it. Do we all have the same confidence in Wallace? That's tough for any of us to know except those that have seen him in practice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I'm not paying Flynn starter money to not botch a hand off in his only appearance that I remember. Now we get him back on the cheap. Completely worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,382
    I don't think Flynn is in a position to demand much, considering he's out of a job. Fortunately for him, he did get paid and hopefully set himself up for life.

I think he'll be back as our backup next year, it makes too much sense for him not to. Something like $1M a year for 2 years. But I doubt they make a change this year.