1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Was Bryan Bulaga a good pick? If not, who should've been?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackersRS, Apr 22, 2010.

?

Was Bulaga a good pick? If now, who?

Poll closed May 2, 2010.
  1. Yes

87.3%
  2. Dez Bryant

1.8%
  3. Sergio Kindle

3.6%
  4. Kyle Wilson

7.3%
  5. Jerry Huges

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Charles Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Devin McCourty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    I saw alot of mock drafts a month or two ago that had Bulaga going to us at 23. Although recently Bulaga moved up the board.

I don't think you bench Clifton. Rotate Bulaga in on occasion, and just do it a little bit at a time until by the end of the year he is getting 50% of the snaps

2. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I say if Bulaga beats Clifton, he gets the starting job. If not, he sits, and enters if Clifton struggles/gets injuried, which is quite possible...

I just want the best 5 starting. Sitton and Wells are locks. The other 3 positions are up for grabs. The Ts are between Clifton, Tauscher, Lang and Bulaga. And the G between Spitz, Colledge, Lang and Bulaga.

Let the best man win. I'm sure we'll have a very good line, when the 5 are settled, and repeated.

3. Cincinnati Cheesehead

Cincinnati Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    I wanted Wilson but honestly this was a great pick for us. It will help sow up some problems on our o line whether its LT, RT or LG. Bulaga could help keep Rodgers clean. So I am all smiles.

4. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35

Your right, he was injured in the game. He missed the first three of the season I believe and he was very very rusty. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. I think they have a stud. Keep in mind he is a JR coming out also and I think he is a bit younger. That being said I think/hope the Pack got an excellent player in him

5. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with putting the best 5 on the field regardless of contracts and the like.

Clifton has been in decline the last 2 years, and his penalties have increased.

My bet is that Clifton goes down with an injury during camp and Lang starts at LT or Bulaga. I don't think it will even be a decision with Clifton. Especially if Clifton tries this I can't practice to save himself for the game thing.

6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Yeah, he's not a surefire starter. I think he starts with the edge, but he could very possibly be beaten by the rookie and the 2nd year kids...

7. DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +48
    Kindle will be big in the second, and I have a feeling Thompson wants him enough to go get him

8. S.S.Tuura

S.S.Tuura Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we made the right pick Bulaga will be at LT for the next 10 yrs. He won't start the season anywhere, i think it will be same as last season but lang at LG.

9. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    Sorry can I please have something to read about this guy hope he is a great pick :D

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    LOL just go to the first page of the thread.

Or look for his thread in the draft section...

11. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    My ONLY concern with Bulaga is the thyroid issue. If that is a recurring issue we could have another Mandarich on our hands. If not, he'll be a beast for us.

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Mandarich was a steroid user... IMHO not the same thing.

My concern with Bulaga is really his athleticism (to play LT). His sophomore year, nobody could get past him. But last season, he looked a little stiff. He showed up at the bowl game against Derrick Morgan and GT, but still, not the same guy as a sophomore... Could be the thyroid...

Just one thing: this guy is 21. For those saying he has reached his potential, that's garbage. He's 21. Nobody at 21 has reached his potential.

I think, worst case scenario, he's a great RT...

13. uncleharley

uncleharley Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just turned 21

No one has mentioned a potential problem with Bulaga's maturity. He just turned 21 a few weeks ago. Most guys are not full grown until they are 24 or 25. I remember another O lineman who came out of Navy at age 20 or 21. He struggled for a few years before he settled in at left guard. My thought is that this is a great pick, but we might have to wait 2 or 3 years for the pick to pan out.

uh :to_keep_order:

14. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    He sounded like a very mature guy in his interview. Everyone thinks that he's not going to start this year but he told reporters that he's going to push himself for the starting spot. He knows his expectations are high and he's going to fight for a starting job. All in all, Bulaga is one of those Iowa players who know what to say the right the things. They're intelligent, smart football players.

15. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    we needed a tackle if for no other reason than to groom for next year.

16. 21dmvp21

21dmvp21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    when we were on the clock i had it down to bulaga and wilson, i was shocked both fell to us. me personaly thought we would take wilson, but im very happy with the bulaga pick. he will now have a chance to maybe start at guard (which is unlikely) or he can learn behind two of the best tackles the packers have ever had in clifton and Tauscher.

17. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Haven't hear of Bob Skoronski and Forrest Gregg, have you?

I agree with your other analysis, though...

18. 21dmvp21

21dmvp21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    maybe i worded it badley, i meant that cliffy and taucsh are two of the best in recent years not of all time, they are far from that lol.