Warrick Dunn - A weapon out of the backfield...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Yep it is a wish list thread, but think of the options he could provide as a change of pace back to throw in certain situations. Thoughts?

WARRICK GETS HIS WISH

A day after signing running back Michael Turner to a long-term deal, the Atlanta Falcons have parted ways with veteran tailback Warrick Dunn.

The team has announced that Dunn has been released. He reportedly asked to be let go after Turner was acquired.

"Warrick Dunn holds himself to the highest standards of the National Football League," said Falcons owner Arthur Blank in a team-issued release. "His contributions, not only to the Falcons but to the entire NFL both on and off the field, have been well documented. The legacy he leaves in Atlanta will be long-remembered and appreciated by his fellow players, fans and the community. In my mind, Warrick will always be part of the Falcons family. At times like this our hearts are heavy, but the nature of the game sometimes requires making these kinds of decisions, however difficult they are for all of us. I wish Warrick continued great success in his future endeavors."

Perhaps better known for his time in Tampa, Dunn actually spent one more season with the Falcons.

He instantly becomes a free agent, and he may sign with any other team.

Dunn, who last week was named the inaugural recipient of our Joe Delaney Award, has rushed for 10,179 yards and has more than 4,000 receiving yards. He was named the NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2004. B

Because Dunn spent much of his first five NFL seasons splitting touches with Mike Alstott in Tampa, Warrick still has plenty of tread on the tires. Moreover, he would immediately infuse a high amount of character into any NFL locker room.

If we were running the show for any of the other 31 NFL franchises (and fans of each of those teams should thanks the Heavens every moment of every day that we aren't), we'd sign Dunn right now.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, I'm having a hard time figuring out who to keep out of Morency, Jackson and Wynn to backup Grant. The last thing we need is a washed up RB coming in here thinking he should be the starter.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Oh I disagree, he has split carries his whole career and is a very high character guy whom is a heck of a recieving threat.. I see only positives to adding him. He doesn't have to carry the load and wants to win..

As far as your condrum.. Mo's time to prove himself is up and the other two, Jackson and Wynn, have a lot to improve upon. IMO.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I disagree, he has split carries his whole career and is a very high character guy whom is a heck of a recieving threat.. I see only positives to adding him. He doesn't have to carry the load and wants to win..

As far as your condrum.. Mo's time to prove himself is up and the other two, Jackson and Wynn, have a lot to improve upon. IMO.

My next door neighbor was his running coach in high school. Great guy, very quiet. Good role model. Positive image. No ego problems at all.

The thing is, how much of Dunn is left? If he's 100%, then he's good for 1000+ yards.

Do we want him? Sure. Do we need him? No.

Our priorities right now should be OL, TE, LB, and DB (in no order). WR and RB I think we're fine at. It's wants vs needs. Nothing personal, Dunn. I hope he gets signed to a good team and has 1000+ yards. I've always liked the guy.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
33 year old 170 pound RB. That's a tough one to grasp. I don't believe he'd be any better than Noah Herron and if Jackson's progressing then you don't make the move. However if the Packers see future problems with Jackson then a one year deal might not be a bad idea.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
33 year old 170 pound RB. That's a tough one to grasp. I don't believe he'd be any better than Noah Herron and if Jackson's progressing then you don't make the move. However if the Packers see future problems with Jackson then a one year deal might not be a bad idea.

See I think we were missing a large part of an attack (*edit)offense with someone that could catch the ball out of the backfield and be explosive in the open space.. that is the angle I see. But he can still tote the rock in a pinch if need be.. he has experience in the ZBS with Gibbs being down there.. plus he can be a mentor to the younger backs.

We have Grant and others to do alot of the heavy lifting.. let him come in and be the edge type player out of the backfield.. short term weapon as I see it.

Oh and let me be clear, it would have to be a reasonable deal, one of those roll the dice moves moreso.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to say no, if you want a back that bad, draft one, there's way too much talent in the draft this year not to if you want another back and are not satisfied with any backs not named grant or jackson. Dunn will be a good player for some team, but he's not for us, he's too small, and at 33 he's getting up in years, I don't care if he did split carries, after a while age catches up to you. He's no emitt smith that's for certain.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's too damn old?

Okay, let's call Favre too damn old too.

Warrick Dunn is a great guy. I don't know why you guys are ******* him saying, "Oh no, he's a washed-up RB who only wants to start." Seriously, you don't know what you're saying. This is a guy who's been called the most charitable person in the NFL.

In Atlanta he ran very efficiently in the ZBS. He's a great catcher out of the backfield. Despite his frame, his extremely speedy. If you guys truly believe Vernand Morency is better than Warrick Dunn, you're horribly mistaken.

Dunn got released because he asked for it. The Falcons just signed Michael Turner, and they're going to invest a lot of time in Jerious Norwood (a younger version of Dunn).

Dunn provides veteran leadership and over 5 years of experience running in the ZBS.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to say no, if you want a back that bad, draft one, there's way too much talent in the draft this year not to if you want another back and are not satisfied with any backs not named grant or jackson. Dunn will be a good player for some team, but he's not for us, he's too small, and at 33 he's getting up in years, I don't care if he did split carries, after a while age catches up to you. He's no emitt smith that's for certain.

You realize who Emmitt Smith has been running behind his entire career right?

Smith is almost as overrated as Aikman.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

Smith lasted a few years after he left Dallas, I'm not sure Dunn is even half the back Emitt was.

ftwuno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you figure the packers will keep three maybe four rb's. Grant and Jackson are going to be 1 & 2 , I don't think Dunn would be intrerested in a #3 RB position. I think the Packers may draft a guy to challenge Wynn for a roster position. I liked Wynn in college, but I am not sure he has the work ethic to be a NFL running back.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
if you have the opportunity to add a high quality player, i think you go for it, 100% of the time.

I gotta disagree with that, you can only field 11 players at any given time. You typically can only put 2 Tackles, 2 Guards, a Center, a single QB and a couple WRs on the field at any given time. Like it or not your waisting a lot of money on a Guy like dunn who may not get much of any playing time. Look at the Redskins, they brought in TJ Duckett last year (2006), and the guy hardly got any snaps at all. We do not need that sort of situation here.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:
Veretax said:

Smith lasted a few years after he left Dallas, I'm not sure Dunn is even half the back Emitt was.

Smith only lasted 2 years after leaving Dallas - -played in 25 games -- started 20 -- rushed for 256 and 937 yards in those 2 years -- the lowest totals of his career since his rookie year (also 937 yards).

Coincidentally, Emmitt left Dallas when he was 33.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are only a few positions on our team that "can't get any better". Yeah, Grant was awesome last year. But i'm not 100% convinced that he wouldn't benefit from some more help. Yeah, I feel a certain connection to B-Jack, and Herron, and Mo, Wynn. I like the guys. They're Packers! But, do I think any of them bring more to the field and to the locker room than Warrick Dunn? No. Do I think any of them can offer Grant more help than Warrick? No. If one of them has to get cut to make room for Warrick, so be it.

gopack0909

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sign him for a 1 year deal and see how he does... I think he would be a great third down back for the pack

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sign him for a 1 year deal and see how he does... I think he would be a great third down back for the pack

what makes u think Dunn would come to GB to sit on his *** and barely get any snaps?? Get Real, this isnt Madden :-?

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopack0909 said:

what makes u think Dunn would come to GB to sit on his *** and barely get any snaps?? Get Real, this isnt Madden :-?

While I agree with you, the saying "this isn't Madden" gets a little old after a while.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
gopack0909 said:

While I agree with you, the saying "this isn't Madden" gets a little old after a while.

for real, Dunn wouldln't even do that in Madden.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Dunn signs with someone it will be for at least three years. I'm really not convinced that he is the style of back that the Packers would want for their offense. The fact that Atlanta used a ZB scheme doesn't really matter. Remember he was playing his home games in a dome. True Minny and Detroit play in domes too, but GB and Chi do not. I'm just not convinced that a guy who played most of his ball in Florida and Georgia, is cut out to playing in Wisconsin.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me he's not an "elite" back, just an average guy. Plus a 33 year old RB is getting up there, even if he did share time. His body is 33, no matter how few runs he had.
Favre is one of the exceptions. He has shown that he still can do it at his age. I'm sure the "wall" isn't far off for him either though.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me he's not an "elite" back, just an average guy. Plus a 33 year old RB is getting up there, even if he did share time. His body is 33, no matter how few runs he had.
Favre is one of the exceptions. He has shown that he still can do it at his age. I'm sure the "wall" isn't far off for him either though.

hmm yah and Favre was never a between the tackles runner either :D

Members online

Latest posts