Warren Gerds column: Commissioner sticks by NFL Network

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200711

My favorite part:

John Ryan, San Jose Mercury, speaking of Madison and San Antonio: "Before 2006, those fans never had a problem seeing the Cowboys or the Packers on TV, and now they do. And the reason that they do have a problem seeing them is because of a decision the NFL made. It's not a decision that Comcast or Time Warner made …

"Are you aware of a Packers game that wasn't on across the entire state of Wisconsin before 2006?"

Goodell: "I don't know the answer to that one."

GOOD question. And a pretty lame answer from Goodell.

Warren Gerds column: Commissioner sticks by NFL Network

By Warren Gerds
[email protected]

Green Bay Packers fans in much of Wisconsin will differ mightily Thursday, when they want to watch the big game against the Dallas Cowboys but can't because their cable system refuses to accept the National Football League's demands about where the NFL Network should be placed.

Fans in Green Bay, Milwaukee and Dallas do not have to worry because they are "home city" markets. The game between the 10-1 Packers and 10-1 Cowboys will be broadcast in each by a local station (WFRV, Channel 5, in Green Bay).

Elsewhere in the state and country is another matter. Viewing will be limited to subscribers to Dish Network and DirecTV and to some cable systems that offer the NFL Network package that features eight late-season games.

Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications — two big systems in Wisconsin — do not carry the NFL Network. They want to put the NFL Network on a pay-sports tier that fans who want to see the network pay for rather than on a mainstream channel that all subscribers pay for. The NFL insists on the latter.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell went on for an hour last week in a telephone conference call about what a good idea the NFL Network is for fans.

"We recognize there are millions of fans in Wisconsin that want to see NFL football, and that's what we keep telling the cable operators, that this is something that's going to be in great demand, they want the NFL Network 365 days a year," Goodell said.

It's a "compelling product" and subscribers should tell their cable operator they want the NFL Network as part of their basic digital package, he said.

Questions Goodell fielded from reporters included toughies:

# Rachel Konrad, The Associated Press: "From a fan's perspective, what if they say to you, 'Why should I have to call my cable company? Why do you make me do extra work because you made this decision? … I like the way it was before.'"

Goodell: "Because we are trying to create an NFL Network that would give them football 365 days a year. It gives them a different opportunity to see football all year around, and our programming is extremely entertaining, exciting and in great demand all year around … We're trying to bring more football to more fans."

# Bill Peck, San Antonio Express (San Antonio being a Time Warner city and not getting the Packers-Dallas game on cable): "What would you say to fans who basically just see this as a fight between two deep-pocketed, powerful companies who just really don't want to give in to each other and are more interested in a bottom-line situation than they are in the fans?"

Goodell: "We're doing this in the best interest of the fans at the end of the day. (Putting the channel on a pay-sports tier) is not in the best interest of our fans."

# John Ryan, San Jose Mercury, speaking of Madison and San Antonio: "Before 2006, those fans never had a problem seeing the Cowboys or the Packers on TV, and now they do. And the reason that they do have a problem seeing them is because of a decision the NFL made. It's not a decision that Comcast or Time Warner made …

"Are you aware of a Packers game that wasn't on across the entire state of Wisconsin before 2006?"

Goodell: "I don't know the answer to that one."

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the NFL is being SO demanding, how come it's basically only 2 cable companies that are having a problem? Thats what I don't get. DirecTv, Dish...at least 4 or 5 of the cable companies around here carry the NFLN.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Yeah, I do understand kind of being pissed, but instead of complaining, just switch. That solved all of my problems, and is providing me with much better service as well.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Yeah, I do understand kind of being pissed, but instead of complaining, just switch. That solved all of my problems, and is providing me with much better service as well.

Amen.. and if you love football.. adding the NFL ticket is a very well invested 175 dollars.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodell is wrong. I don't want the NFL Network 365 days a year. I only want it during the season. I plan to cancel my subscription to Comcast's digital sports tier after the season is over.

I actually prefer to have it as a part of a special tier because it's cheaper. I don't have another $40/month to spend on 60 extra channels I won't watch, nor have time to watch. Having it on a special tier allows me to pay only $7.95/month and keep my basic, basic cable.

Cable companies should do a-la-carte pricing. $10/mo. for 15 channels of your choice. I'd be all over that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodell is wrong. I don't want the NFL Network 365 days a year. I only want it during the season. I plan to cancel my subscription to Comcast's digital sports tier after the season is over.

I actually prefer to have it as a part of a special tier because it's cheaper. I don't have another $40/month to spend on 60 extra channels I won't watch, nor have time to watch. Having it on a special tier allows me to pay only $7.95/month and keep my basic, basic cable.

Cable companies should do a-la-carte pricing. $10/mo. for 15 channels of your choice. I'd be all over that.
That would be nice.........but cable companies want to force you to take channels you couldn't care about, so they can charge you more. I really don't think they care about customers. Someday they will, when everyone leaves them for Dish. Till then though, were SOL.

Members online

Latest posts