Want To **** Off Viking Fans?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Green Bay wouldn't even be on the map without the Packers.
On a NATIONAL map or a state map? If you mean to suggest Green Bay would be dead without the Packers you couldn't be more wrong. There are alot of businesses that rely on Packers income NOW, but it was a robust city long before the NFL was as big as it is. It has evolved as a result of the attention in the last 50 years, but it's ridiculous to say that Green Bay wouldn't have flourished without the Packers, just as Appleton has.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a NATIONAL map or a state map? If you mean to suggest Green Bay would be dead without the Packers you couldn't be more wrong. There are alot of businesses that rely on Packers income NOW, but it was a robust city long before the NFL was as big as it is. It has evolved as a result of the attention in the last 50 years, but it's ridiculous to say that Green Bay wouldn't have flourished without the Packers, just as Appleton has.
True that the majority of towns and cities all across America are doing fine without any pro sports team.
But I probably never would have heard of Green Bay if it hadn't been for the Packers.
Ever hear of Beloit?
How about Reedsburg?
Elroy?
New Glarus?
Didn't think so.

OK maybe you did. But my point is that there are tons of large towns/small cities that we have never heard of.
And it's the same for every resident of every state.
(I was in Sturgon Bay this week. Never heard of it till now.)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Nobody would have heard of Green Bay if it had not been for the Packers. Sure the town would have been there, the paper mills woould have seen to that. But on a national level, Green Bay would be as well known as Manitowoc.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody would have heard of Green Bay if it had not been for the Packers. Sure the town would have been there, the paper mills woould have seen to that. But on a national level, Green Bay would be as well known as Manitowoc.
I see what you did there.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay wouldn't even be on the map without the Packers.

Was that suppose to be a slam or a compliment? If it was the former, that was one of the lamest put downs I have EVER heard! Of course Green Bay is all about the Packers, just like Gettysburg, PA is all about that terrible Civil War battle...
Do you really think Green Bay is known as "Title Town" because of all the books that were written there?

Really,you gotta come up with something better than that!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Was that suppose to be a slam or a compliment? If it was the former, that was one of the lamest put downs I have EVER heard! Of course Green Bay is all about the Packers, just like Gettysburg, PA is all about that terrible Civil War battle...
Do you really think Green Bay is known as "Title Town" because of all the books that were written there?

Why does it have to be either? It's more fact than anything else. Very simple, if it wasn't for the Packers, most people throughout the US would have never heard of Green Bay much less know it exists. Just a fact of life. The Packers made the town of Green Bay a common household name. Case in point, ever hear of Vero Beach Fl, how about New Brunswick, NJ. More than likely not. Why, because they don't have a NFL team playing there.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does it have to be either? It's more fact than anything else. Very simple, if it wasn't for the Packers, most people throughout the US would have never heard of Green Bay much less know it exists. Just a fact of life. The Packers made the town of Green Bay a common household name. Case in point, ever hear of Vero Beach Fl, how about New Brunswick, NJ. More than likely not. Why, because they don't have a NFL team playing there.

Seems odd that a town that nobody would have heard of can support an NFL team but an area with 2 major US cities, with one having more fortune 500 companies than Chicago, can not.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understood where Raptor was coming from and I agree.
Why didn't anyone else pick up on it? Why the knee jerk reaction of being so defensive?

And even with the Packers GB is still somewhat unknown time to time. I've heard stories of famous personal who say, "I'm going to Green Bay to be part of football" and others are like "Where?"

Heck, I'm in Madison. Home of the Rose Bowl winning UW Badgers and the state capitol. And I don't think anyone outside of Wisconsin knows about us.
(Well we did get some natl. attention with the protests but the limelight is off of us now.)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ever hear of Beloit?
Of course, like all old Packers fans I quake in fear upon thinking of the fearsome Beloit Fairies. That’s right, Fairies. That powerhouse team pummeled the Packers in November of 1919, ruining their undefeated season. (The final score was 6-0 but you had to be there!) Again in the next season the fearsome Fairies ruined the Packers undefeated season with a humiliating 14-3 loss. (Face it any loss to a team named “Fairies” is humiliating.) No doubt Curly Lambeau conspired against the fearsome Fairies or the entire NFL would live in fear of facing them!

(The Fairies really were a pro football team sponsored by Fairbanks Morse, a manufacturing company in Beloit.)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, like all old Packers fans I quake in fear upon thinking of the fearsome Beloit Fairies. That’s right, Fairies. That powerhouse team pummeled the Packers in November of 1919, ruining their undefeated season. (The final score was 6-0 but you had to be there!) Again in the next season the fearsome Fairies ruined the Packers undefeated season with a humiliating 14-3 loss. (Face it any loss to a team named “Fairies” is humiliating.) No doubt Curly Lambeau conspired against the fearsome Fairies or the entire NFL would live in fear of facing them!

(The Fairies really were a pro football team sponsored by Fairbanks Morse, a manufacturing company in Beloit.)

Thanx for that bit of football history lesson since I'm from Beloit and never heard of the Faries.
But I have seen Fairbanks Morse. Beloit is/was a major town of industry.
I'm starting an annual trip down there once/twice a year to watch the Beloit College Buccaners football team play.
They don't play as good as a Big 10 game but it's free and it's fun and it's football!

There is no way anyone would ever think of naming their team the Fairies in today's NFL.
The only thing that comes close is Neon Deion in those ads and even he looks too damn gay.

Edit: I found this site which shows some of the early history.
Check out those high scores!
http://www.packershistory.net/1919-20PACKERS.html

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Frankly, 1/2 of 1% is doodly squat. On a $100 purchase that's a whoppin' 50-cents. Now Brown County residents pay it on everything...but...the largest tourist attraction obviously is the Green Bay Packers and Lambeau Field...and that tax "could" have been retired what... 15 years early? The debt's paid off but of course, the tax will NEVER go away now.

I'd hate to see the Vikings move out. It just wouldn't be the same. I'll maintain that of all the times I've sat in Lambeau with fans of an opposing team ... I've had the most fun with the fans that follow the Vikes. Now, the last Viking game I saw in Minnesota was in the old Met and I was just a youngster, but ... still, I like the State of Minnesota and the folks there...now, if you were talking Bears fans, that'd be a different matter altogether. :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Omg...Are people really fighting about if GB would be known if it wasnt for the Packers?

Little bored? Anyways...

A way to **** off Vik fans is to show parts of the Saints game ;)

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How tough would it be to be a Viking fan, to lose your team to another city, and to then watch that team win a Super Bowl. I guess that would make the poor Viking fans bigger losers than the team itself. I am going to guess that this whole thing is going to get real ugly before it is over.

probably about as bad as losing your basketball team and watching them become World Champs not once, but 11x after they left

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
probably about as bad as losing your basketball team and watching them become World Champs not once, but 11x after they left
If your talking about the Lakers they won the championship 6 times in 11 years before they left MN. Oh, and before they were in MN they were the "Detroit Gems". So it's a moot point and lame try. You should learn the complete history of a team before commenting on them. Besides, I'm a Bucks fan.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
True that the majority of towns and cities all across America are doing fine without any pro sports team.
But I probably never would have heard of Green Bay if it hadn't been for the Packers.
Ever hear of Beloit?
How about Reedsburg?
Elroy?
New Glarus?
Didn't think so.

OK maybe you did. But my point is that there are tons of large towns/small cities that we have never heard of.
And it's the same for every resident of every state.
(I was in Sturgon Bay this week. Never heard of it till now.)

I just had to respond to this post.

Ever hear of Beloit? - the western Wisconsin Ghetto, Northern Chicago
How about Reedsburg? - They got Beavers as their school mascot they deserved to be unknown. :)
Elroy? - Tommy Thompson's town and they have a cool pharmacy/train shop.
New Glarus? - Best Wisconsin beer.
Sturgeon Bay - High school has a great athletic department for Boys swimming.

You can also say no one heard of Chico CA till A-Rod got famous.

But onto the subject of this thread. Lambeau once tried to make the team move to LA and the city said no. They voted with their wallets and everything they could. Let the people decide if they really want the Vikes.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
But here's the point you seem to be missing. Do you think ANYBODY who lives in Green Bay cares one tiny bit if their city is nationally known? I understand that someone who lives in MinniAppleass or Chitcago wants to be recognized for where they live. The difference is that people who live in Wisconsin live here because we LOVE it, not because anybody has ever heard of it.
The Green Bay Packers are what's on the map, not the city. The Green Bay Packers fan base is far larger than the city of Green Bay or the state of Wisconsin. It's international. Football people are not fans of the city per se, they are fans of a storied franchise with a unique setting.
JK about the city name-calling too Raptor, you're a good poster and I respect your input.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Besides, I'm a Bucks fan.
Wait a minute: You’re a Vikings fan and a Milwaukee Bucks fan?! Let me guess, you like the Cubs, too? Just kidding of course but that would be consistent. Poor guy, but at least no one can accuse you of bandwagon jumping or being a fair weather fan!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your talking about the Lakers they won the championship 6 times in 11 years before they left MN. Oh, and before they were in MN they were the "Detroit Gems". So it's a moot point and lame try. You should learn the complete history of a team before commenting on them. Besides, I'm a Bucks fan.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

actually, it would be a very fair comparison, if not a bigger sore point because they won 6 Championships before they left. Besides, who cares if they were the Gems, the point was that the Lakers left MN and won a crap load more Championships after they left. Lakers have more support in LA than they ever did in MN.

besides my comment wasn't directed AT you it was just a general comment about Minnesota not being able to hold on to it's sports teams very well.

Members online

Latest posts