Walker WILL NOT be in Camp

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all knew this was coming, and maybe its already been posted...Sorry if that's the case...But it's official:

Rosenhaus says Walker won't report to camp
Posted: July 20, 2005
Unless things change in the next few days, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker will continue his holdout when training camp begins next week.

Advertisement

That's according to his agent Drew Rosenhaus, who said as much in an interview for HBO's Real Sports taped last Friday and scheduled to be aired next Tuesday at 9 p.m. on HBO.

Here's the exchange between reporter Bernie Goldberg and Rosenhaus:

Rosenhaus: "The news on Javon Walker is that we are, right now, we have already decided he is not going to go to training camp."

Goldberg: "Hold on. That is news."

Rosenhaus: "That is news. I've not said that before. But Javon and I spoke today. And we've made the decision that we're not going to report to training camp. And I can't say when we will report, or if, or when, but he will not be at camp."

Goldberg: "Because?"

Rosenhaus: "Because the teams refuse to negotiate with us. And he's making about half a million dollars, and he's one of the premier players in the league. I can't let this player go out on the field and jeopardize his career for that kind of money. I just can't fathom it."

The transcript of the interview was e-mailed by HBO this morning to Journal Sentinel SportsDay columnist Bob Wolfley.

Veterans are scheduled to report to training camp next Wednesday and begin practice next Friday.

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year he made the Pro Bowl for the first time, leading the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Walker already has missed the team's mandatory minicamp this off-season.

Get ready to sit for a long long time, Javon.

Burn'em Pack :twisted:

DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO.

We are not the team to steal on!!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah?

and what if the Packer receiver's suck this year..what then?

i think you'll be calling for J.Walk to be re-signed pretty quick!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's making a half million dollars per year and he can't let him play because he may get hurt? I can't believe it. If I were Ted Thompson I'd make one phone call and tell Rosenhaus, if he's not in camp (bcause he has a contract that extends for two more years) he will not only be fined for not living up to the letter of his contract, but once the season starts he will not be paid because we couldn't afford to allow him to come when his paychecks start without the proper training. In other words, "He's either in camp when we open, or he's done as a Packer for this year." We'll see how Javon likes his 1.5 mil. contract when the paychecks stop coming. However, do not trade him, let him rot.

OP
OP
M

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
yeah?

and what if the Packer receiver's suck this year..what then?

i think you'll be calling for J.Walk to be re-signed pretty quick!

Walker can sit for 2 years. Win or lose. Solid options at WR, not so solid options at WR...

No renegotiation till the standard time...PERIOD.

I think TT (and every other GM in the league) might need a little plaque that hangs about their doorway. :lol:

I'm prepared to lose to avoid having to deal with 2-3 players that come to the conclusion that they are not making enough each season, and are going to sit out and pout.

Thanks Mike MacKenzie...He should have burned on the bench too. Now look where we are...

The real question is, what happens when Javon pulls a MacKenzie...and throws a jersey on to drop balls and stick it to us good for not caving to his demands...

In that case, I say sit him...For two full seasons.

Javon can walk in two years, but the Pack need to send the message that this tactic will not work in Green Bay.

Know it, love it, live it.

One pro bowl year, followed by essentially two years out of football...

GET THE MESSAGE. :twisted:

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, let him rot! Sickens me that he thinks because of one good year he's something special. I hope they can sue him to for the years he didnt do crap and made money and his signing bonus.

Driver is every bit as good a reciever as Walker is.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not believe he can walk after two years if he sits. By my understanding, a player has to play at least 6 (?) games per season for the season to count toward his veteran vesting in the league.

Can anyone clarify on this matter?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, you're going to throw away a season or two on principal because you won't give in on a pissing match between you and a few of your players?

that's giving up an awful lot in revenue in terms of winning/losing if your team does not remain competitive....

Instead of taking the hardass/hardline route...wouldn't it be better if contracts had SOME leeway to be restructured based upon incentives and performance, after the fact...?

This way...when Grady outperforms that load Hunt...the Packers can up his pay, or give him a raise, (within reason)...(not a complete restructuring per se, but enough to make him happy..on the other hand, they should also be able to deduct a percentage of Hunt's salary...to be fair to the organization)

On the same token, since Javon Walker was what, the 5th rated receiver in the nfl? He also then should be compensated (within reason).---These things should operate on some kind of a sliding scale....the problem is, when an inexperienced GM like Sherman throws out the baby with the bathwater, and overpays much of his talent...it puts you in a hell of a bind--capwise that is...

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line P@ck66, is that it DOESN'T work that way. Whether it should, or not, is a separate issue. If Walker sits out, he doesn't get paid. Besides, does anyone here think that Walker will make or break the season? I sure as hell don't. I don't think playing without him is necessarily "sacrificing" the season because of the overall situation the Packers are in. The rest of the NFC North made great strides over the offseason to improve, while the Packers hands were tied due to moves made over the past few years. In other words, this isn't a team on the "up and up", instead they are a team on the decline and whether Walker is there or not probably won't make enough of a difference. I completely agree with those above - that if the Packers don't nip this in the bud and reverse the trend that McKenzie started, and the future of the Packers will be WAY worse than if we sign Walker. To me, it's the opposite of what you said. If we give Walker a new contract, THAT would be sacrificing the future.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, you're going to throw away a season or two on principal because you won't give in on a pissing match between you and a few of your players?

Like LL said, Driver and Fergy isn't exactly "sacrificing the season."

However, TT caving in sacrifices this and many years to come. Flanny and Ahman already admitted that the SECOND that TT caves, they're doing the exact same thing as Javon, and then what's stopping Driver, Kampman.....

Besides, do you think Javon REALLY intends to go 2 YEARS w/out getting a paycheck?!? On top of that, how much do you think teams will offer for a disgruntled player who hasn't played a down in 2 years?!? A hell of a lot less than if he's in pads for the next 2 years.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

that's giving up an awful lot in revenue in terms of winning/losing if your team does not remain competitive....

Instead of taking the hardass/hardline route...wouldn't it be better if contracts had SOME leeway to be restructured based upon incentives and performance, after the fact...?

This way...when Grady outperforms that load Hunt...the Packers can up his pay, or give him a raise, (within reason)...(not a complete restructuring per se, but enough to make him happy..on the other hand, they should also be able to deduct a percentage of Hunt's salary...to be fair to the organization)

On the same token, since Javon Walker was what, the 5th rated receiver in the nfl? He also then should be compensated (within reason).---These things should operate on some kind of a sliding scale....the problem is, when an inexperienced GM like Sherman throws out the baby with the bathwater, and overpays much of his talent...it puts you in a hell of a bind--capwise that is...

It's funny (and common for you) that you bring Sherman into this when you and Chase would be one of the first ones on here to chastise Sherman if he were still the GM for caving and giving in to Walker's demands. TT needs to take a hardline approach to this because there are several players waiting in the wings to find out what's going to happen here. The Packers will be better because of the hard-line approach similar to how the Eagles handle things like this. Get enough depth and believe in a scheme enough to plunk another player in the slot. Walker will not break the Packers if he holds out. He needs to play worse than the Packers need him to play. Bottom line.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prior to Walkers breakout season last year, GB was and still is a run team. We've been relying on AG to open everything up pass wise. With our RBs and newly revamped OL, I believe we still can be prosperous. I waffled on the MM deal last year, wanting him to stay, but after the **** which was pulled by MM and the distraction issue, not again will I get burned. Walker needs to show up and play, or sit on his ***. We need a game plan from training camp on with the players that are there. No distractions, no confusion, pure cohesion. Go PAck.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best thing that can happen is Fergy comes out and plays like we all know he can, Driver stays productive, and Terrence Murphy comes through and is one of the bigger "steals of the draft". Wouldn't that be something to have JWalk sit on his *** while the receiving corps steps up and gets it done? God would that be funny. I can see it know...Walker is over at Drew's house crying in his popcorn bowl as Driver, Fergy, and T-Murph are running all over the place catching ball after ball!

GO PACK!

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let the big baby sit. What I wouldn't have given to have made a half million dollars before I retired. I wish my children could make half a million. All I can say is that Walker is a big baby, and money means a lot more to him than the Pack. I would rather see the team lose--I hate to say that--than give in to the spoiled brat. As I have said before, he should try to live on the salary that most of the rest of us have to live on.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with those who say leave him sit for 2 years if neccessary. We are not throwing any season away either, we have guys with more talent at WR than we've had in the past.

Not only the Packers but the entire league has to be strong and not cave in to heavy handed tactics like this. Or the entire league will be a mess with agents like Rottenlouse around. As soon as any player has one good year they'll be threating to hold out unless they get a new contract. Look at the players and teams Rottenlouse has effected already in this short time. If he has success watch it explode.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Not only the Packers but the entire league has to be strong and not cave in to heavy handed tactics like this. .

EXACTLY! If all GMs do this, Rosenhaus will fail miserably. Why? Teams will avoid him and his clients knowing his history, and when that happens, players will stop hiring him.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why Walker would want to jeopardize his relationship with his teammates like this.

Is money really everything?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
What I don't understand is why Walker would want to jeopardize his relationship with his teammates like this.

Money is everything to certain but not all athletes in every major professional sport...I just didn't see it coming with Javon Walker.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
rabidgopher04 said:

Money is everything to certain but not all athletes in every major professional sport...I just didn't see it coming with Javon Walker.
I know. I thought Favre would rub off on him.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
He's making a half million dollars per year and he can't let him play because he may get hurt? I can't believe it. If I were Ted Thompson I'd make one phone call and tell Rosenhaus, if he's not in camp (bcause he has a contract that extends for two more years) he will not only be fined for not living up to the letter of his contract, but once the season starts he will not be paid because we couldn't afford to allow him to come when his paychecks start without the proper training. In other words, "He's either in camp when we open, or he's done as a Packer for this year." We'll see how Javon likes his 1.5 mil. contract when the paychecks stop coming. However, do not trade him, let him rot.

I totaly agree. It's Javon's loss.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that he sits out all year.Next year he will still have two years on his contract. I just hope he doesn't do what MM did, come back after the season starts,and say he hurt his hamstring. Then he would get paid just sitting on the bench. Can they stop him from comming back if he does not show up at training camp? :shrug: :tantrum:

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
Rosenhaus: "Because the teams refuse to negotiate with us. And he's making about half a million dollars, and he's one of the premier players in the league. I can't let this player go out on the field and jeopardize his career for that kind of money. I just can't fathom it."

What I can't fathom is how anyone can say this with a straight face. I guess what he is really saying is JW's word doesn't mean anything. Oh wait I know, if JW had another poor year last year he was ready to give money back to the Packers right?

The other thing I don't see Rosenhose explaining is just exactly where a cap tight team like GB is going to come up with all this gold for JW AND Grady AND Bubba. Oh wait Bubba's not his boy so he don't give a rat's *** about Bubba does he? Now that is something I can't fathom.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly wpr...and, you know, if Javon is willing to sign a contract that states he will repay the Packers 1/16 of his salary for every game that he is...

a) injured
b) unable to perform up to pro-bowl standards (as determined by the team)

well then fine, I bet the Packers would be more than happy to re-negotiate his current contract, and Grady's too, heck, the Pack might even bring back Antonio and JJ w/ those clauses built in.

OP
OP
M

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An excellent point, that often gets forgotten about wpr...

There just isn't any $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
to give Javon.

I guess Rosenpig would simply want the present deal re-worked, and tuns of loot lumped in the next few seasons...

To the destruction of the team, and many players that would have to be jetisoned due to this haphazzard gun-to-head contract.

Right on, F him.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose Walker sitting all year would help out the rest of the North, but I like too see teams at full strength......better games, uaually.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
There just isn't any $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
to give Javon.

I think part of DR's beef w/ the Pack is that he and Javon don't necessarily NEED a new contract at the moment (or so they say), they just want the Pack to make a commitment to being willing to come up w/ something in the near future (whatever that is defined as). So, true, the Pack have no $$$ now, but that isn't necessarily as binding in this process as it may appear (assuming DR means what he says).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts