1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Walker trade part deux?

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by Pack93z, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I am interested, if this deal takes place, how it turns out for the Vikes.. good player but a risky move IMO.

By the way, I am interested to see how Wilf and company handle the explaination of how Allen is okay on the roster, but someone like Krob doesn't fit..

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok.....i'm missing something......what does Walker have to do with it? Maybe i'm lame and missing something (probably so!)

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
  4. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Maybe I should have included more of an explaination.. the Vikes are going to have to give up quite a bit to pull this trade off.. not to the extent of the Walker deal years ago.. but it could blow up in there face if Allen steps out of line and has to sit a year.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ahhh! Got ya! :wink:

6. nelanator

nelanator Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Comparing this to the Herschel Walker trade is just plain dumb. The Vikes gave away 3 first round picks, 3 second rounders, a third rounder, a sixth rounder, and four players for Walker, two thirds, a fifth, and a tenth. If you cancel out the picks that they the Vikings received in that trade the Vikings gave up 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and four players for a 27 year old at a position in which players tend to have a relatively short shelf live.

Allen, on the other hand, just turned 26 and likely has a good six to ten years ahead of him. And the VERY most the Vikes would give up is two firsts. But that would only happen if they signed him to an offer sheet. If this trade does go through it would be for no more than one first and one second (likely next year's pick) but that second will probably be this year's third acquired from Denver. And the Vikings have 2 3rd rounders so that will not hurt as much. While that is a steep price, it is not going to cripple a young franchise the way that the Walker trade did.

If Allen stays out of trouble and continues to produce at the level that he has the last couple of years (playing next to Kevin and Pat Williams should help his cause) the Vikings would be getting a steal.

7. A1MEANGREEN

A1MEANGREEN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    a lot of ifs in there !!!!!!!!

8. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    It's gonna be a one this year and a two next year.

Jason Taylor, mentioned as possible Packer again today.