Walker trade part deux?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am interested, if this deal takes place, how it turns out for the Vikes.. good player but a risky move IMO.

By the way, I am interested to see how Wilf and company handle the explaination of how Allen is okay on the roster, but someone like Krob doesn't fit..

ALLEN, VIKES DEAL CLOSE?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2008, 3:20 p.m.
The guys at the Minneapolis Star Tribune write that Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, the team’s franchise player, is at the Minnesota Vikings’ facility on Friday, that his agent is in attendance as well, and that a deal between the two teams is in the works.

“The latest we’re hearing is that an agreement with the Chiefs is close to being in place and this thing could get done quick,” writes Judd Zulgad. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also are reportedly interested in Allen.

The sticking point will then be the compensation for Allen. As we wrote on Thursday night, the prospect of giving huge guaranteed money with no effective device under the CBA for getting it back should cause real concerns for the Vikings, given that Allen has two DUIs, a two-game suspension, and now owns . . . a bar.

And maybe we missed the press release announcing that the Vikings have been sold, because the last time we checked the franchise was owned by a man who insisted on “high standards, high morals and success” from his football players.

Apparently, the “success” part of the equation becomes the focus when the player in question is one of the best defensive ends in the league. Thus, the same thinking that got receiver Cedrick Wilson fired by the Steelers while linebacker James Harrison got a pass for doing essentially the same thing apparently will apply in Minnesota, where Koren Robinson was canned and Jared Allen is now welcomed with open arms.

Maybe the explanation will be that Jared Allen drove his car after getting drunk at a baptism. Twice.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok.....i'm missing something......what does Walker have to do with it? Maybe i'm lame and missing something (probably so!)

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Maybe I should have included more of an explaination.. the Vikes are going to have to give up quite a bit to pull this trade off.. not to the extent of the Walker deal years ago.. but it could blow up in there face if Allen steps out of line and has to sit a year.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comparing this to the Herschel Walker trade is just plain dumb. The Vikes gave away 3 first round picks, 3 second rounders, a third rounder, a sixth rounder, and four players for Walker, two thirds, a fifth, and a tenth. If you cancel out the picks that they the Vikings received in that trade the Vikings gave up 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and four players for a 27 year old at a position in which players tend to have a relatively short shelf live.

Allen, on the other hand, just turned 26 and likely has a good six to ten years ahead of him. And the VERY most the Vikes would give up is two firsts. But that would only happen if they signed him to an offer sheet. If this trade does go through it would be for no more than one first and one second (likely next year's pick) but that second will probably be this year's third acquired from Denver. And the Vikings have 2 3rd rounders so that will not hurt as much. While that is a steep price, it is not going to cripple a young franchise the way that the Walker trade did.

If Allen stays out of trouble and continues to produce at the level that he has the last couple of years (playing next to Kevin and Pat Williams should help his cause) the Vikings would be getting a steal.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gonna be a one this year and a two next year.

Jason Taylor, mentioned as possible Packer again today.

Members online

Latest posts