Walker: Thompson drove me from Green Bay

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The argument that was made at the inception of unrestricted FA is that monied veterans would bear the brunt when cuts to meet the cap are made. Voila.....13 years later, we have aging, expensive veterans let lose by the Packers....just like every other team in the league. Nothing new or startling.....exactly what was forecasted and what has happened for 13 years now.

Wahle had been hinting at leaving for two seasons. Sharper left for little more money that was offered by TT. Longwell is chasing the Pro HOF in a dome (same w/Vinatieri). Rivera is on the wrong side of prime and cost too much.

Were some of them disappointed they could not remain Packers? Sure. Were the Packers disappointed to see some of them leave? Sure. Just the nature of the league these days.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It annoys me to no end that people just assume it is a communication problem on TT's part. It seems more likely to me that they talked and Ted wouldn't redo his contract right away so Walker threw a hissy fit. I would agree with you if there was any evidence that it is because Ted couldn't communicate very well with him, but you are taking that out of nowhere. I don't mind criticism of TT, and people have made valid points, but I just wish in some cases these things could be backed by facts, and this can't be either way. Perhaps Ted Thompson told him to buzz off. Perhaps Ted Thompson begged him to stay with the team and promised a substantial pay increase before the end of the year. Perhaps it was somewhere in between. Nobody knows. Ted isn't going to tell anybody, and I don't know how much you trust a guy that told the press that Driver wants out when that wasn't the case.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All about the money. Looks like Mortenson was right. I'll miss Walker when it comes to Sundays but Mondays-Satardays I'm glad he's gone. We were in a bad spot. We made the most of it. That's all we can ask.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
It annoys me to no end that people just assume it is a communication problem on TT's part. It seems more likely to me that they talked and Ted wouldn't redo his contract right away so Walker threw a hissy fit. I would agree with you if there was any evidence that it is because Ted couldn't communicate very well with him, but you are taking that out of nowhere. I don't mind criticism of TT, and people have made valid points, but I just wish in some cases these things could be backed by facts, and this can't be either way. Perhaps Ted Thompson told him to buzz off. Perhaps Ted Thompson begged him to stay with the team and promised a substantial pay increase before the end of the year. Perhaps it was somewhere in between. Nobody knows. Ted isn't going to tell anybody, and I don't know how much you trust a guy that told the press that Driver wants out when that wasn't the case.

Once again.... TT has said that he has not and will not discuss extending Walker's contract with him. Walker basically says the same thing. If TT tried to get him to stay they are both denying it. If TT even gave him the courtesy of a meeting, they both are denying it.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't say anything. It just says they didn't go into negotiations on a new contract. It doesn't mean he refused to talk to Walker at all, or meet with him at all.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Javon, from the start, seemed to be eager to communicate? ******* laid down an ultimatum out the gate...now there is some exceptional communication/negotiation skills if ever I've seen them.

He acted like a punk and, thus, was treated like a punk. I used to love Sterling....until that night before the opener when he truly held the team hostage. I now respect his skills, but think much lees of him as a person. One can make distinctions.

Javon is talented, but he is also immature and manipulative...glad to see you overlook those KNOWN FACTS in ASSUMING TT is to blame in all this.

You know, none of us truly know how it shook out internally, but on the external, Javon conducted himself poorly. The same can not be said for TT's public statements concerning the matter.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
SuperRat said:

Once again.... TT has said that he has not and will not discuss extending Walker's contract with him. Walker basically says the same thing. If TT tried to get him to stay they are both denying it. If TT even gave him the courtesy of a meeting, they both are denying it.

Here is what happened.

Last year Walker wanted a new contract or he said he'll hold out.
Ted Thompson told him NO.
Favre said those comments. Words were. HE should show up to camp and let them take care of you later.
Walker showed up
Walker got hurt against the Lions in Week 1.
Walker according to mortenson yesterday on the radio waste little time. Remember the interview on fox after the injury during the season. According to Mortenson he was done with the Packers at that time. At that time he didn't want to play with Green Bay.
Walker then fires Drew Rosenhaus
Hires a new agent
Goes to ESPN's Michael Smith and says he won't play in GB. Want's to be traded or cut otherwise he'll retire.
Also tells Smith that Driver is going to do the same thing as him. (Trying to show leverage with that)
Thompson says he won't trade. Expects him to play and fulfill the contract.
Walker says he'll show up in week 10 and leave as a free agent then if he has to and their get nothing.
Thompson finally allows him to seek trade.
Walker meets with Denver. Sneaks out in the middle of the night and meets with Philly.
Green BAy trades Walker to Denver for a 2nd round pick. Turn that pick into 5 picks total.
Mortenson comes on the radio and say Javon wanted out because he didn’t get his money. It wasn’t about the fans. Wasn’t about 4-12. Wasn’t about the team in general. It was about Thompson not giving him more money.

The End for now :lol:

Seriously Green Bay was in a no win situation. We give in and trade him and we get something. Or we keep him. He shows up in Week 10 probably wouldn't help us much because of an attitude. If we're in the middle of a playoff hunt the last thing we need is cancer. Green Bay got decent value for a player with one good year and an ACL injury. Now obviously we know what player Javon is. I'm sure he'll rebound. The question is what will those 5 picks turn out to be. We'll see in the future.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
And Javon, from the start, seemed to be eager to communicate? ******* laid down an ultimatum out the gate...now there is some exceptional communication/negotiation skills if ever I've seen them.

He acted like a punk and, thus, was treated like a punk. I used to love Sterling....until that night before the opener when he truly held the team hostage. I now respect his skills, but think much lees of him as a person. One can make distinctions.

Javon is talented, but he is also immature and manipulative...glad to see you overlook those KNOWN FACTS in ASSUMING TT is to blame in all this.

You know, none of us truly know how it shook out internally, but on the external, Javon conducted himself poorly. The same can not be said for TT's public statements concerning the matter.

I agree....but the difference is that Javon DID report and paid a huge price for it in game one. I can't stand SS to this day.

Saying that, I do expect our highly educated GM to be able to deal with punks, as well as scholars. I would hope our GM has more sense and will be the bigger man than a receiver that got no education at college (Fl. St.) and scored a 9 on the Wonderlic.

That doesn't mean give in to him........just splain! That's all.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really porky but I'm not saying we could have saved him. Walker fired Rosenpig because Green Bay kept asking him..."When are you getting rid of Drew?" He CLAIMS he got rid of him because he thought it would be easier to negotiate with Green Bay.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see sources for these things you are bringing up because it sounds to me like alot of guessing. Green Bay asked him to get rid of Rosenhaus and the only reason Walker fired him was so he could stay with the Packers?

or perhaps was it because he saw what was going on with the TO debacle and decided that Rosenhaus could ruin a players image or Rosenhaus was spending too much time with TO and not enough with him?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I would like to see sources for these things you are bringing up because it sounds to me like alot of guessing. Green Bay asked him to get rid of Rosenhaus and the only reason Walker fired him was so he could stay with the Packers?

or perhaps was it because he saw what was going on with the TO debacle and decided that Rosenhaus could ruin a players image or Rosenhaus was spending too much time with TO and not enough with him?

Yep I made that all up :roll:

Join ESPN Radio insider and maybe they'll have Mortenson on the Dan Patrick show. He was just on yesterday. Talked about Steve McNair as well. Charlie Cassey resigning. Good Stuff!!

Green Bay didn't ask Walker to get rid of Rosenhaus. Davenport's agent is ...... Rosenhaus (unless he did chance I don't believe he did)

Walker got rid of Rosenhaus because he felt Rosenhaus couldn't get him out of Green Bay becaue of his reputation. He felt by getting rid of him and hiring someone else there was a better chance he could get out of Green Bay. That's why he fired Rosenhaus

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:

I take it this was intended for me.......I said JW CLAIMED the Packers kept asking him when was he going to get rid of Drew. Did you see CLAIMED....hell it was even capitalized for you. That's a fact JW did claim this. If you want me to provide you with a recording of it, I can't. But if you look close enough it WAS in the papers!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't responding to you.

DePack said "Walker fired Rosenpig because Green Bay kept asking him..."When are you getting rid of Drew?" He CLAIMS he got rid of him because he thought it would be easier to negotiate with Green Bay."

and i was just wondering where he would possibly get that information or if it is just conjecture like most of what is being said in this topic.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

He acted like a punk and, thus, was treated like a punk.

I compare it to when Steve Smith voiced his opinion publicly regarding his contract extension (or lack thereof at the time) when the Panthers announced an extension during the 03 season for Kris Jenkins. Smith felt he deserved an extension (and he did) and felt slighted. The team, behind closed doors, addressed this with Smith and ultimately gave him his fair market value.

The point is that they didn't disrespect the player, halt negotiations, and try to make a point publicly with a guy they knew they needed. Obviously Smitty knew it too or he wouldn't have spoken out. Since that time, Smith has grown as a person and player, and has proven he was worth the extension. I feel that the meeting behind closed doors had A LOT to do with Smith's overall attitude change since then. Now, all sides are happy.

There is a way to do things and a way not to. Others take notice of the way things are handled publicly whether you believe it or not.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pantherd said:
digsthepack said:

I compare it to when Steve Smith voiced his opinion publicly regarding his contract extension (or lack thereof at the time) when the Panthers announced an extension during the 03 season for Kris Jenkins. Smith felt he deserved an extension (and he did) and felt slighted. The team, behind closed doors, addressed this with Smith and ultimately gave him his fair market value.

The point is that they didn't disrespect the player, halt negotiations, and try to make a point publicly with a guy they knew they needed. Obviously Smitty knew it too or he wouldn't have spoken out. Since that time, Smith has grown as a person and player, and has proven he was worth the extension. I feel that the meeting behind closed doors had A LOT to do with Smith's overall attitude change since then. Now, all sides are happy.

There is a way to do things and a way not to. Others take notice of the way things are handled publicly whether you believe it or not.

Now THAT is a novel approach!!!!

And all I've been saying in this thread!!!!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't really make that clear. If you think that the Packers should of shut up and gave in then that is a understandable view, but you were saying things like Ted Thompson didn't meet with him at all, and that Walker fired Rosenhaus so that he could be on better turns with the Packers, and that stuff had no concrete evidence to be backed up with.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I wasn't responding to you.

DePack said "Walker fired Rosenpig because Green Bay kept asking him..."When are you getting rid of Drew?" He CLAIMS he got rid of him because he thought it would be easier to negotiate with Green Bay."

and i was just wondering where he would possibly get that information or if it is just conjecture like most of what is being said in this topic.

oh my bad :oops:

I was going to say. You expect me to dig up links from last year. :lol:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
You didn't really make that clear. If you think that the Packers should of shut up and gave in then that is a understandable view, but you were saying things like Ted Thompson didn't meet with him at all, and that Walker fired Rosenhaus so that he could be on better turns with the Packers, and that stuff had no concrete evidence to be backed up with.

:wall: :wall: I'm done!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pantherd said:
digsthepack said:

Didn't Smith ask for more money after a couple years of proving himself? Not just one good year?

edit, nm I looked myself. Smith proved himself from the get go. Walker didn't prove himself until his third year.

:shrug:

I'd have to say that makes a difference.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pantherd said:
digsthepack said:

Didn't Smith ask for more money after a couple years of proving himself? Not just one good year?

edit, nm I looked myself. Smith proved himself from the get go. Walker didn't prove himself until his third year.

:shrug:

I'd have to say that makes a difference.

Agreed zero...but the point of his post was treating disgruntled players with respect.....not giving into them.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Agreed zero...but the point of his post was treating disgruntled players with respect.....not giving into them.

And you can only do so much with some 'disgruntled players'.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He "drove you from Lambeau?" With the price of gas, you should be thankful!
The Packers stance has been NOT to negotiate with more then ONE year left on a contract. So TT said NO to "poor little Javon." Had he been willing to EARN an extension here, he would have got it, period. As Driver did. He wasn't willing to wait, or follow the Packers rules. If they broke the rule for him, then they would open the door for all future players to do the same, and say "Well, you did it for JW!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts