Walker spotted in Vegas, needed 'to get away'

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
January 9, 2007

Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker was "just trying to get away from Denver for a little bit" when he was seen at a Las Vegas nightclub Thursday, team sources said Monday.

Walker's visit to Tryst, in the Wynn Las Vegas hotel, was noted in the Las Vegas Review-Journal on Saturday. Walker and Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey went on the trip the day after Wednesday's memorial for Darrent Williams at the team's facility.

Walker was with Williams in the early morning Jan. 1, when Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting as both left a New Year's Eve party. Several people with the team have said privately that Williams was in Walker's arms when emergency personnel arrived. Bailey flew to Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday with the team for Williams' funeral. Walker told teammates he could not deal with the funeral.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has described Walker as "devastated" and said that Walker was "going through some very heavy grief right now."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever been to the Wynn? They have a Lamborghini and Maserati dealership right at the hotel. It's one ritzy place.

Anyway...nothing like mourning the loss of a friend by partying it up in one of Vegas' trendiest nightclubs. :roll:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever been to the Wynn? They have a Lamborghini and Maserati dealership right at the hotel. It's one ritzy place.

Anyway...nothing like mourning the loss of a friend by partying it up in one of Vegas' trendiest nightclubs. :roll:

Honestly, this guy just went through something indescribably horrendous and sad. Most of us have never been through anything close to this awful. His friend died in his arms. And even if we had been through something similar, there's no telling how we'd react. Humans deal with tragedy in completely different ways.

I think it's pretty messed up for anyone to pass judgement on Javon, and this goes well beyond football stuff. Let's let him find his breath before we call him out.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I admit, when I first read this, I was thinking wtf is his problem? Or something to that affect.

Then, after remembering when a long time friend of mine, Matt took his life the day before my 18th birthday I recalled how I didn't want to attend either. I don't handle funerals or wakes that well. My boss wouldn't let me have the day off. What a jerk huh? The wake was held jus two blocks from where I worked. When the wake started I kept starring at my watch and finally went to the Asst Mgr that I was done, quitting and going to the wake. He thought I should have left, but said not to quit.
So I left. I went to the wake.
I couldn't get in right away, all the preppy uppity girls from school were there grabbing me an huggin me an crying as if they lost their best friend. Matt was a great guy, but they didn't give him his due while he was on this planet and it confused me that they did after he was gone.
I went in, finally. I was strong, I kept my composure through the whole thing.
Then I seen all sorts of pictures on on a huge billboard thing and I completely lost it like a little school girl who got kicked in the shin.

I haven't been to a funeral or wake since and I don't plan on ever attending one again. Not even my own.

With that experience, I can kind of see why he wouldn't attend. Having a friend die in your arms has to be hard as it is.

My one main hope for the man, is he doesn't dillude himself with alcohol like what happens with many people in this same situation. I hope Javon is on the right path an continues it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nothing like mourning the loss of a friend by partying it up in one of Vegas' trendiest nightclubs. :roll:

yeah, sounds like hes just using it as an excuse.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit, when I first read this, I was thinking wtf is his problem? Or something to that affect.

Then, after remembering when a long time friend of mine, Matt took his life the day before my 18th birthday I recalled how I didn't want to attend either. I don't handle funerals or wakes that well. My boss wouldn't let me have the day off. What a jerk huh? The wake was held jus two blocks from where I worked. When the wake started I kept starring at my watch and finally went to the Asst Mgr that I was done, quitting and going to the wake. He thought I should have left, but said not to quit.
So I left. I went to the wake.
I couldn't get in right away, all the preppy uppity girls from school were there grabbing me an huggin me an crying as if they lost their best friend. Matt was a great guy, but they didn't give him his due while he was on this planet and it confused me that they did after he was gone.
I went in, finally. I was strong, I kept my composure through the whole thing.
Then I seen all sorts of pictures on on a huge billboard thing and I completely lost it like a little school girl who got kicked in the shin.

I haven't been to a funeral or wake since and I don't plan on ever attending one again. Not even my own.

With that experience, I can kind of see why he wouldn't attend. Having a friend die in your arms has to be hard as it is.

My one main hope for the man, is he doesn't dillude himself with alcohol like what happens with many people in this same situation. I hope Javon is on the right path an continues it.

I can't count the times i have seen people at funerals over reacting. The same people that never took the time when the person was alive, suddenly show up and act like you said.
Me.......i try to always go to the funeral, as for me it kind of helps bring a closure to the loss. Even though i never forget, to me at least, it helps. And i have buried both my parents and my brother, and more uncles and aunts and even cousins then i can count. But everyone deals differently i guess.
I feel sorry for Walker. It must have been hard. Of course i wasn't there, but i heard there was some kind of altercation before the shooting. I can't understand WHY people have to build up their egos to fight, when it might have been just as easy to walk away from it. I have seen it at bars. Some guy gets a bug up his butt, and has to act like a big man. I would just walk away from a putz like that. But with some guys, that testosterone just won't let them walk away.
What a waste of human life. I hope they get the scum bag that did it.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Walker to and all the people that witnessed this horendous shooting incident...I dont know how the police handle seeing bad accidents cause I for one would never get to sleep...but Cheesy is right, take a few minutes to tell someone that you love the you love them, life is to short...

I have been to the Wynn in September 2006, just walked through it to see it though...we stayed at the Venetian and that was a beautiful place as well...we were there for a week in September and we had a blast...didnt bring back any money's but we didnt loose a whole lot either being there for a week..

Members online

Latest posts