Walker Allowed to Seek Trade

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over at ESPN (sorry, I suck at linking) there is an article which states that the Packers have given Walker permission to shop himself and seek a trade. Right now NO and Denver lead the list, with the Dolphins, Eagles and one or two more teams somewhat involved. States it should be completed before the draft.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Over at ESPN (sorry, I suck at linking) there is an article which states that the Packers have given Walker permission to shop himself and seek a trade. Right now NO and Denver lead the list, with the Dolphins, Eagles and one or two more teams somewhat involved. States it should be completed before the draft.

digs: there is nothing new in this. Ted already gave that permission some time ago. The only new news is that he will going to NO and Denver for physicals and to talk with front office.

TT's position has not changed -- if Walker's agent can find a value trade that he (TT) believes will benefit the Packers he will entertain the offers. If a trade is going to happen it is likely to happen before or during the draft -- we have known that all along.

The rest is pure speculation on ESPN's part looking for a scoop so that they can claim to have reported it first.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just happy to see some action..hopefully something to TT's satisfaction takes place prior to or during the draft. I still see Shanahan ponying up.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bruce said:
digs: there is nothing new in this. Ted already gave that permission some time ago. The only new news is that he will going to NO and Denver for physicals and to talk with front office.

TT's position has not changed -- if Walker's agent can find a value trade that he (TT) believes will benefit the Packers he will entertain the offers. If a trade is going to happen it is likely to happen before or during the draft -- we have known that all along.

The rest is pure speculation on ESPN's part looking for a scoop so that they can claim to have reported it first.

I agree that if TT feels a deal is worth while it could happen..but when did the team give permission?? Back on March 28 TT refused to give permission?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=411548

McGuire, the agent for Walker, not only requested a trade but also asked Thompson for permission to shop his client. Thompson refused.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With so many teams wanting him. what kind of pick do you think we could get. I don't want Lelie.

Maybe we can get a lineman or two from Denver that is already familiar with the zone blocking scheme!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DePack said:
With so many teams wanting him. what kind of pick do you think we could get. I don't want Lelie.

Maybe we can get a lineman or two from Denver that is already familiar with the zone blocking scheme!

Ohhh I like that idea!!!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if NO is looking for their next big WR for Brees, that could up the bidding.

Me, I see nothing less than a solid, early to mid 2nd rounder with maybe a 5th thrown in for good measure.

Too many players have come back successfully from this injury to really leverage it down too far.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Bruce said:

I agree that if TT feels a deal is worth while it could happen..but when did the team give permission?? Back on March 28 TT refused to give permission?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=411548

McGuire, the agent for Walker, not only requested a trade but also asked Thompson for permission to shop his client. Thompson refused.

Look at both article, they both use:

Walker has threatened to retire rather than play for the Packers next year, and general manager Ted Thompson has said he expects Walker to honor his contract.

"I've spoken with Javon over the course of the spring," Thompson said. "I think I'll let the original statement that we put out stand there. I know that things get said from time to time and I think the less said on something like that, the better."

Thompson did say that he and the team would welcome Walker back.

"I would," Thompson said. "I'm sure the team would. He's very well liked here. I assume you guys would agree with me."

TT does not do his bidding or negotiating through the press. This is old news and is why there has been so much speculation regarding Walker trades and Denver, NO and Philly being in the forefront of that speculation. There have been several articles published about the teams that have reported interest.

TT quietly gave the same permission to Grady Jackson last season -- he just does not ever do it publically -- nor should he.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Walkers agent is the one that said on March 28th that TT refused..

Now the report is saying they are allowing him to seek a trade...

just wanted to know when after March 28th and now was the permission granted??? Cuz you claim TT gave permission long ago?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT didn't give permission until now. Before now he refused permission and was hearing offers from other teams himself. It isn't a huge change but it does give the chance of a trade going through more likely, especially since now Walker can negotiate a new deal with a prospective trading parter.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact that KC is involved. They are in desperate need to upgrade their WR group, Herm Edwards is a new coach who needs to make a splash, and JW would certainly help on both fronts.

NE is interesting though...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Walkers agent is the one that said on March 28th that TT refused..

Now the report is saying they are allowing him to seek a trade...

just wanted to know when after March 28th and now was the permission granted??? Cuz you claim TT gave permission long ago?

If you notice this is not an announcement from the Packers front office -- rather an unnamed source reportedly close to the situation. This was done quietly (which is TT's mo) some time ago. Philly and Denver newspapers have been writing about it and speculating like crazy for some time.

TT's stated position has not changed, nor will it publically. He expects Walker to honor his contract, which would include reporting to a new team if traded.

It has long been talked about that if a trade were to happen it would happen right before or during the draft.

If you want to believe that this is new or a surprise -- that is cool. I don't see it as anything that was not widely talked about in NFL circles and cities -- but ultimately, who cares?

I am excited by this weeks uptick in activity. It is one of the reasons I love draft week -- things dramatically shift from slooooowwwww to high gear.

Here is to an exciting week that will only get hotter :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I see where your coming from..
Dont agree with it, but I can understand your point.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, the talk of trading him has been going on for quite awhile, but with giving him permission to seek a trade, it opens up some new opportunities and allows him to visit possible teams and work out a new contract with them before they decide to trade with him.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker has killed the Packers attempts as he wants 10-12 million guaranteed. That is more than Charles Woodson got by the way.

He just is not living in reality. I said last year if he would have shut up and been to mini-camps etc. he could have had a great contract this year with the cap room the Packers have. But to demand it last year when the Packers did not have the money was dumb.

Walker is just out of touch with reality.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Walker has killed the Packers attempts as he wants 10-12 million guaranteed. That is more than Charles Woodson got by the way.

He just is not living in reality. I said last year if he would have shut up and been to mini-camps etc. he could have had a great contract this year with the cap room the Packers have. But to demand it last year when the Packers did not have the money was dumb.

Walker is just out of touch with reality.

IMO..Its his family that is pushing him...

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah this way the other teams can talk with walker and work something out moneywise so they are more likely to make the deal already knowing what he is going to get paid when they get him. His agent should be smart enough to get something fair and not ridicuous worked out with somebody.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Like I said, the talk of trading him has been going on for quite awhile, but with giving him permission to seek a trade, it opens up some new opportunities and allows him to visit possible teams and work out a new contract with them before they decide to trade with him.

BINGO which is a huge obstical to overcome. Walker wants at least ten million in guarenteed dollars. Any team who is going to trade for him will need to work out an extention before they will pull the plug on a deal on a player for a single season coming back from an ACL. The visits will allow physicals if they can work out a potential extention.

This is the time if it is going to happen. Fasten your seatbelts the roller coaster has left the loading station...

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
SuperRat said:

BINGO which is a huge obstical to overcome. Walker wants at least ten million in guarenteed dollars. Any team who is going to trade for him will need to work out an extention before they will pull the plug on a deal on a player for a single season coming back from an ACL. The visits will allow physicals if they can work out a potential extention.

This is the time if it is going to happen. Fasten your seatbelts the roller coaster has left the loading station...

i'd rather have signed javon than woodson. 10 million gaurenteed, we could pay him, but walker wants to go, so what choice do you have.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mr. Walker and his agent, when they go out seeking a trade on their own, will find out that other teams don' value him as highly as they think he should be.
Hopefully reality will smack Javon right in the face.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts