Waived Goodbye

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? Now that Robinson has been waved any bets on who next is waived from last years squad ? And who will be the surprise player of the new crop? Gone my guess is Colledge. New pro will be Nelson.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next waived: Noah Herron and Vernand Morency

Rookie surprise: Jermichael Finley and Brett Swain

Reaction score
I'm surprised that so many think we'd cut one of the RBs considering that Grant is still unsigned, and it was only last year that our RB crops were decimated with injury in the off-season.

Both V-Mo and Herron will probably not make the roster, but both are talented and have produced. They may still have something to offer this team, and I think you'll see both Morency and Herron make it safely into TC. (with one, if not both, getting cut in TC at the earliest)

And there is no way that Colledge is going to get cut any time soon, especially since Ted declared Colledge and Spitz are the starting Guards going into Training Camp this year.

Personally, I think most likely player from last year to be cut is DE Michael Montgomery. He's been injury prone, and hasn't shown a whole lot in games he played. With the addition of DE Jeremy Thompson, I'd think Montgomery has the most to worry about in terms of getting cut when we start signing our draft picks.

Surprise amongst our rookies? I'll say 7th round pick WR Brett Swain. From the interviews he gave at during the rookie orientation, he seemed to know exactly what role the Packers wanted him to fill while also talking about being a versatile player, and that is a positive. I think the Pack will keep 6 WRs, and Swain may have some value as a KR. So I expect he may surprise a lot of people by making the roster, and possibly being one of our KRs.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Herron makes the roster actually. He's extremely valuable as a 3rd down back and TT will keep 4 backs IMO. I actually like him more than DeShawn Wynn.

Colledge I think will hang around for quite a while. He's inconsistent but he's not bad enough to go from starter to off the team especially on a cheap contract.

Vernand Morency, Jason Hunter, maybe Jarrett Bush get cut in my opinion. First to go will probably be Morency.

Surprises: I'll throw out Lumpkin the undrafted RB from Georgia. I think he might turn some heads in camp. Might not make the team but he'll be an interesting story and if Wynn doesn't toughen up in camp something could brew there.

My other guy is Patrick Lee. I think he'll be the teams nickel back by the start of the season. Better fit than Williams and Blackmon.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop: :pop: Some good points in the replies guess Morency seems to be the one guy really o n the bubble. Does anyone here have the take on the WR, Jake Allen, quite tall at 6 - 4 but, apparently not a very hefty guy at 190 lbs. Would be nice to have some real height downfield and hopefully with some real speed as well.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think Herron makes the roster actually. He's extremely valuable as a 3rd down back and TT will keep 4 backs IMO. I actually like him more than DeShawn Wynn.

As we have seen with Robinson, the Packers are cutting the cord on players with marginal talent that aren't proven to be durable, to me that places Herron and Mo on the list, I agree on Mo moreso, but Jackson is being talked up I don't see the Packers holding onto Herron.

As the draft picks start signing, player will have to be cut to make room.. that to me means injury risks will be the first players to recieve their walking papers.. Herron and Mo seem likely Canidates as the Packers want to see what they have in players like Wynn, Lumpkin, Jackson and maybe another add ..

Other canidates IMO..

Tory Humphrey, TE
Charlie Peprah, S
Tyrone Culver, S (Another injury risk)
Abdul Hodge LB (Can't stay healthy)
Chris Francies, WR
Shaun Bodiford, WR

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson will push out Mo.
Swain will make the team and push out Bodiford.

Colledge is staying. I've heard he will eventually be an OT. Our current starting OTs aren't exactly young, and as much as I like Cliffy, he's had enough wear and tear on his body for a lifetime. I just don't see Cliffy in the NFL 2 or 3 years from now. I do see him behind the scenes still working for the Packers org in some capacity though, maybe even eventually as an assistant coach.

Those are my predictions.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

As we have seen with Robinson, the Packers are cutting the cord on players with marginal talent that aren't proven to be durable, to me that places Herron and Mo on the list, I agree on Mo moreso, but Jackson is being talked up I don't see the Packers holding onto Herron.

As the draft picks start signing, player will have to be cut to make room.. that to me means injury risks will be the first players to recieve their walking papers.. Herron and Mo seem likely Canidates as the Packers want to see what they have in players like Wynn, Lumpkin, Jackson and maybe another add ..

Other canidates IMO..

Tory Humphrey, TE
Charlie Peprah, S
Chris Francies, WR
Shaun Bodiford, WR

I'm one of the few that doesn't really like Wynn and I think they keep 4 backs this season. Herron, Jackson, Wynn, and Grant are my choices.

Lumpkin is my sleeper who is a rather big back. The last time I checked he was 220 pounds. I think he could push Wynn and bump Wynn off the roster. If not then I think Wynn makes the roster.

So with Herron it's about making it to camp. I think he could get let go if they bring in another back but to me Morency is clearly the odd man. If Herron is there, it's going to be tough to let him go. He's the 2nd best back on the team IMO until Jackson and Wynn prove otherwise.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Other canidates IMO..

Tory Humphrey, TE
Charlie Peprah, S
Chris Francies, WR
Shaun Bodiford, WR

Geez! Have those same guys on my list of possible waived players. I also carry Blackmon on that list, another health problem. What's your take on the Allen guy, 6-4 WR Porky?

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some interesting opinions on here... I'll agree with the cuts possibly being Morency or Wynn, but I really think its hard to make any legitimate standouts until we see some action at training camp.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I'm one of the few that doesn't really like Wynn and I think they keep 4 backs this season. Herron, Jackson, Wynn, and Grant are my choices.

Lumpkin is my sleeper who is a rather big back. The last time I checked he was 220 pounds. I think he could push Wynn and bump Wynn off the roster. If not then I think Wynn makes the roster.

So with Herron it's about making it to camp. I think he could get let go if they bring in another back but to me Morency is clearly the odd man. If Herron is there, it's going to be tough to let him go. He's the 2nd best back on the team IMO until Jackson and Wynn prove otherwise.

I agree with regards to Wynn.. but I think they will give him a chance yet this season.. his upside is greater IMO than Herron or Mo..

Lumpkin is another Wynn.. flashed but couldn't stay on the field.. you never know with those types.. Herron is a marginal talent that has heart and overachieves.. but lacks that upside.. IMO.

That is why I think Herron or Mo are the next to go before camp.. 7 or 8 have to go.. a few might be recent signed RFA.. but a couple of vets will get their walking papers as well.

BTW.. if the NFL changes the roster limit rules... then who knows as most of these cuts won't happen until during training camp and a surprise might pop up.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think that MM likes Wynn or I got that impression last year. If he get's hurt again and misses time early like he did in '07 he will not make it because MM is big on availability.

I do not believe Heron, as much as I like him, can make the roster. TT and the Packers are building a team with young upsiders and holding on to him takes one of those off the team.
Based on what they did last year Humphrey is gone BUT this is a different roster which would mean a rookie behind Lee so there's maybe a glimmer but not much.
Hodge is probably history which is a shame because I think he could be a good inside LB with a little time on the field but Bishop is much more athletic and blows people up and with Chill coming in there's no room.
Peprah-gone
Bodiford-gone (although he showed flashes of a very good return man)

I think Colledge stays because he's versatile and as long as he is in the running for tackle spot later. If he doesn't show he will eventually be a starting tackle he will be gone but not for another year.

I think Coston starts so he's not in trouble. When the run game finally got going he had won a starting job at guard and I believe he was missed in the Championship game.
The "O" line is really going to be a war and hard to get a handle on and for me, at least, the toughest position to predict who stays.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Morency stays.
he showed the ability last year and we just resigned him at the beginning of this offseason.

I dont think we would go through the trouble of resigning him early and keeping him off the market... if he was gonna be the first guy gone in cuts.
i see the RB depth chart like so. Grant, Jackson, Morency, Wynn. 4 RB's isnt crazy. most teams with a zone scheme keep 4 and in Denvers case it can be up to 5 or 6 at times.

the thing is... at this point in their careers. not one of those RB's is a sure thing. so i gotta think we keep all of them for insurance.

and warhawk... i hope your wrong about the Butcher.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If durability is a consideration, then A-Rod would be out (does not take much anymore to end up on IR) and Brohm would be the surprise Rookie of The Year.

Members online

Latest posts