Wade Phillips.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is safe to say that If the Cowboys fail again this year to win a playoff game, or even make the playoffs, that Wade Phillips will be out as head coach.

If this is so. We should look into bringing him in as a Defensive Coordinator.

Say what you will about the guy, but he can run a defense.

Twizz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that will happen. If TT doesn't want to spend money on players y would he want to spend money on coaches and staff? I mean I do hope he proves me wrong but I don't think it is going to happen

spartacheese520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just not the TT Way. The TT Way would be firing Bob Sanders and promoting Kurt Schottenheimer as the Packers new defensive coordinator. God help the Packers if this were to happen.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
spartacheese520 said:
It's just not the TT Way. The TT Way would be firing Bob Sanders and promoting Kurt Schottenheimer as the Packers new defensive coordinator. God help the Packers if this were to happen.

You got that right.

On the other hand, has TT/MM ever fired a coach since 2005?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, our only hope for meaningful change IS to sign a guy like Phillips who will bring in his own assistants. Expecting mm to cut coaches by himself is dreaming. Besides, just moving in one new coach is a band-aid approach. The team is underachieving in all defensive aspects.
My nightmare scenerio is if mm cuts Sanders and moves Moss into that spot. Moss has been LBers coach (how have they looked this year?) and asst. HC. Apparently he has been ineffective as a HC. But that is the wimpish move this HC will make since he seems blind to his asst's. failures. Friendship is a fine thing until proves short-sighted.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wade Phillips runs a 34, the Pack run a 43. There really isn't a fit, unless you guys are willing to go through a transition year or two.

I think our biggest problem on defense is along the defensive line. There's no problem with just rushing four, but you need depth along the line to always have fresh guys in the game. Getting a pass rusher with our first round pick is a must. Then on passing downs Jenkins can move inside to the 3-technique and Pickett can take some snaps off. Adding a defensive tackle that can push the pile would help too, so Jolly can play less snaps. If we can go into next year with 7 or 8 men in the D-line rotation then I think the defense can get back to where it was last year (when we broke training camp with 9 defensive linemen).

pseudocide

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chillar - hawk - barnett - poppinga

jenkins - pickett - kampmann

AM I BAD???????????????????????

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pseudocide said:

The d-line might work, but Kampman isn't really a 34 DE. The outside linebackers won't work either. Neither of them rushes the passer well enough to play the position in a 3-4. Plus, Barnett doesn't fit that scheme either. He'd likely struggle with the transition like Vilma did when the Jets switched schemes.

We'd probably be best off to search for a DC that runs a 43. Personnel wise this unit isn't far off (just need to add a pass rusher), but Sanders hasn't integrated much in the way of stunts and blitzes into the defense and opposing offenses don't really have to worry about anything exotic from the front seven.

pseudocide

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
pseudocide said:

The d-line might work, but Kampman isn't really a 34 DE. The outside linebackers won't work either. Neither of them rushes the passer well enough to play the position in a 3-4. Plus, Barnett doesn't fit that scheme either. He'd likely struggle with the transition like Vilma did when the Jets switched schemes.

yea you're probably right, but it would be interesting to see how it would work.

DoubleC4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DonnieCash said:
I think it is safe to say that If the Cowboys fail again this year to win a playoff game, or even make the playoffs, that Wade Phillips will be out as head coach.

If this is so. We should look into bringing him in as a Defensive Coordinator.

Say what you will about the guy, but he can run a defense.

oh god please no!!!! i cant stand him

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to worry. PFR has stated that it appears that Jones will retain Wade due to the "economic climate." IOW, super-rich Jerry doesn't want to buy out Phillips' contract and then pay really big bucks to sign a hot new HC, especially going into non-capped 2010. See? Even guys like Jones are feeling our pain. (SARCASM).

Ketchup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pseudocide said:
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
pseudocide said:

yea you're probably right, but it would be interesting to see how it would work.
DE Jenkins, NT Pickett, DE Jolly/Cole(of course after losing some lbs)
OLB Poppinga, ILB Hawk, ILB Mauluaga/Laurinaitis(drafting either one with 1st pick), OLB Kampman(after losing some lbs)
I would have Barnett being traded for a draft pick as i don't think he would fit anywhere in a 3-4 defense. Kampman would probably be the toughest to transition but i think it could be done. Now i know it would be a very hard transition but i would love to see the 3-4 defense in Green Bay. I do believe Mike Nolan was a 3-4 guy and he has ties to McCarthy and doesn't currently have a job so that could be a possibility.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spartacheese520 said:

It is not TT's job to fire Sanders or any other action with the coaching staff. This is MM's prerogative. TT could suggest a move but it is ultimately MM's call.

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wade runs a 1 gap 3-4, which really isn't much different than a 4-3. Kampman would basically be moved to the right side OLB and he'd be the DeMarcus Ware guy... just a pass rusher who stands up. The big problem with running the Cowboys scheme would be the same problem with any other scheme. Most of our d-linemen get pushed around, they can't beat blockers, they are out of position. Same goes for our linebackers. Our front 7 stinks, no matter who is coaching them.