Wade Phillips in Dallas

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Wade Phillips hiring in Dalls looks really bad to me, and this article doesn't help:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/mike_mcallister/02/09/cowboys/index.html

First, I don't see this team as having the talent to make a Super Bowl run. They are coming off a season that was virtually injury-free, with the best coach in the NFL, and they got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by a very mediocre Seattle team. Is Wade Phillips going to come in and do what Parcells could not? I suppose they are a young team, but are they going to improve THAT much? It's possible, but it doesn't seem likely.

I also think Terrell Owens is going to hate Wade Phillips. He even bad-mouthed Parcells after Parcells left. And Phillips will have a much harder time dealing with Owens' crap than Parcells did. Phillips is not a good public relations guy.

I just think it was a lousy hire. Jones needed someone to take over the team after he had already chosen the offensive coordinator and future head coach. Unlike this Sports Illustrated writer, I fail to see this as a clever move.

I think Jones is going the way of Al Davis. Both are smart guys who know football, but as they get older, they put more and more trust in their instincts and surround themselves with yes-men. That's the impression I get, anyway. I don't know what really goes on behind the scenes.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I think that Wade Phillips is going to make the Cowboys one of the top 5 defenses in the league next season, and that they'll do at least as well. They're not losing any key players, and they'll come into the season knowing who their Franchise QB is. Also, Phillips has improved the record of the team he took over in both of his previous 2 head coaching jobs, and turned San Diego's D into a powerhouse.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I think that Wade Phillips is going to make the Cowboys one of the top 5 defenses in the league next season, and that they'll do at least as well. They're not losing any key players, and they'll come into the season knowing who their Franchise QB is. Also, Phillips has improved the record of the team he took over in both of his previous 2 head coaching jobs, and turned San Diego's D into a powerhouse.

Do you think Wade Phillips is a better defensive coach than Bill Parcells? I don't. And he's certainly not as good a head coach as Parcells, plus he will have a rookie OC who was hand-picked by Jerry Jones, not himself.

What were the records of the teams Phillips took over before? They must've been .500 or lower, because I don't remember Phillips' teams ever being much over .500. Expectations will be much higher for him this time around.

But your point is taken about Dallas not losing any key players this year--or at least it doesn't appear they will--and they know who their franchise QB is coming into the season. Those are significant factors. And they are a young team. I just don't think their talent level is very much above average. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out next season.

Members online

Latest posts