Vote: who do you blame most for last night?

Who's more to blame

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I laughed, worriedly, last week when I read quotes from players, and Capers, that said facing Joe Webb last week was good preparation for this Niners offense.
That's like comparing a 1978 Pinto to a 2013 Ferrari. Were they serious?

Now, we don't know exactly what Capers & company worked on this week in their prep and practice. We don't know what they showed the players, worked on.

But what we do know is that it not only didn't work well, but it made Kaepernick look like the greatest all-around QB who ever lived. Never before in any game, playoffs or regular season, has a QB run for as many yards as he did with 181 yards.

You know, it almost looked like the defense prepared for a slow pocket passer like an old Dan Marino or a gimpy Peyton Manning.

We saw Walden follow the fake to Frank Gore, and Kaepernick ran right behind him for 56 yards, Walden with his back to him. He was benched then.
I saw Woodson out of position so many times, leaning the wrong way.
I saw a few blitzes called brilliantly where, Hayward for instance, he came in unaccounted for, untouched, and he not only missed Kaepernick, he let him run right past him and get 20 yards. Anyone else recall that one blatant fail?

Think about this: We are afraid to let Rodgers run because he takes big hits often.

Kaepernick ran for that many yards, and he never even took a big hit. We barely hit him. That's pathetic.
But then, we were pathetic in our 2009 playoff loss too, making Kurt Warner a record-setting passer that day beating us I think 51-45.

So who do you blame more for last night's embarrassment in Candlestick, against the running QB?

Capers game plan/strategy
The so-called "Players" execution/performance (lack of)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 9ers were the better team on offense, defense, and special teams.

The muff'd punt was terrible. The lack of someone spying on Kaep was horrendous. Rodgers turn over had the "what was that?" Kind of reaction

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense was on the field too much and some of the game planning was atrocious. The lack of adjustments was disappointing as well.

The offense failed to sustain drives and we abandoned the run. Tough game. SF is a match-up problem for us.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about "The better team won" as a choice? Face the fact, 49ers were as good or better in every area. Kaepernick is a freak - never saw anything like this ever. Frankly, it does not bother me so much when a better team beats us. When a inferior team beats us, then I get a bit upset. Time to move on.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I laughed, worriedly, last week when I read quotes from players, and Capers, that said facing Joe Webb last week was good preparation for this Niners offense.
That's like comparing a 1978 Pinto to a 2013 Ferrari. Were they serious?

Now, we don't know exactly what Capers & company worked on this week in their prep and practice. We don't know what they showed the players, worked on.

But what we do know is that it not only didn't work well, but it made Kaepernick look like the greatest all-around QB who ever lived. Never before in any game, playoffs or regular season, has a QB run for as many yards as he did with 181 yards.

You know, it almost looked like the defense prepared for a slow pocket passer like an old Dan Marino or a gimpy Peyton Manning.

We saw Walden follow the fake to Frank Gore, and Kaepernick ran right behind him for 56 yards, Walden with his back to him. He was benched then.
I saw Woodson out of position so many times, leaning the wrong way.
I saw a few blitzes called brilliantly where, Hayward for instance, he came in unaccounted for, untouched, and he not only missed Kaepernick, he let him run right past him and get 20 yards. Anyone else recall that one blatant fail?

Think about this: We are afraid to let Rodgers run because he takes big hits often.

Kaepernick ran for that many yards, and he never even took a big hit. We barely hit him. That's pathetic.
But then, we were pathetic in our 2009 playoff loss too, making Kurt Warner a record-setting passer that day beating us I think 51-45.

So who do you blame more for last night's embarrassment in Candlestick, against the running QB?

Capers game plan/strategy
The so-called "Players" execution/performance (lack of)

The kid I paid to put the horse tranquillizers in the 49ers Gatorade buckets !! :mad:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Total team screwup.
Walden constantly getting sucked inside on the end runs.
BJones getting caught in the wash.
DB's unable to get off the WR blocks.
Hawk sticking like glue to his blocker.
Tramon a step slow.
EDS allowing free rushers on delayed blitzes.
Ross rookie mistake on the muffed punt.
McCarthy over reacting to aforementioned error.
MM abandoning the run in the 3rd quarter.
I will credit MM with the personnel on the field during the no-huddle when Cobb was the RB in the 2nd half.
Capers with not having the players ready to contain a running QB. Kevin Greene is included in this as his LB crew is supposed to be the main line of defense in Caper's scheme.
Medical staff. How is it the Packers have relatively long injury lists 2 of the past 3 years? League leading if not close to it.
NFL in allowing the replacement refs to put this game in SF after a bye week instead of GB which would have had it. The SF defense was wearing down by the end of the season (NE, Sea, & AR offenses moved the ball) and the week off allowed them to recover a bit.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How about "The better team won" as a choice? Face the fact, 49ers were as good or better in every area. Kaepernick is a freak - never saw anything like this ever. Frankly, it does not bother me so much when a better team beats us. When a inferior team beats us, then I get a bit upset. Time to move on.
Cam Newton, RG3, Wilson, Vick, Tarkenton, Young, Culpepper. All of these ran like that their first year or so. We'll see over the next few seasons if he is different.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I actually think that IS what bothers me the most. Not that we lost, but that we are clearly not as close to being a championship caliber team as I thought we were.

At least if we would've just had a terrible game, I'd feel like we were right on the championship cusp against going forward. But we were clearly inferior, and I'm not sure how close we really are anymore.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
We've lacked a pass rusher to compliment CMIII for years, plus we never seem to blitz and/or send pressure like one would expect. I heard a lot of complaints about Clay last night, but when Capers is continuously sending three against him, how exactly is Matthews supposed to get the pressure needed?

I'm not going out on a soapbox crying for terminations but will be interested in seeing how we try to fix this mess of a run D.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MM abandoning the run in the 3rd quarter.
I will credit MM with the personnel on the field during the no-huddle when Cobb was the RB in the 2nd half.

They did RUN with Cobb there..so those two statements dont make sense?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to blame anything we did offensively (other than not going for it on that 4th and 4). We scored enough points to win. We gave up 45. Not going to win when you give up 45 points.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why couldnt Ross or Cobb catch a kick/punt??????? Why would you put ross at punt returner in a PLAYOFF game. Let Ross return kicks and punts ALL next season and then he will be ready to catch them in the playoffs. I dont blame MM 100% though its not the first time Ross has returned punts he should know how to catch. I blame most of it on the D both coaches and players mainly LBS as far as players go.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not a very analytical approach: the whole "better team won" rationalization glosses over the reasons why the better team won in favor of a mental shortcut.

I'm not going to blame anything we did offensively (other than not going for it on that 4th and 4). We scored enough points to win. We gave up 45. Not going to win when you give up 45 points.

I'll place some blame on the offense. The offense scored just 17 points before the outcome had been decided. Take a look at that time of possession: the offense didn't do any favors for the defense by maintaining drives. As a result, our D was gassed by the third quarter.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why kaepernick wasn't assigned a spy every play and how no one else figured out that all they did was read option or throw to crabtree.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we must point fingers I think we have to point it at the O-Line. The problems start from there. When the offense is having trouble, it puts added pressure on the defense. I think our O-Line played pretty well last night all things considered but if you look at the season as a whole, it was by far our weakest link. To blame someone for the loss in SF you have to look at both sides of the ball. There was breakdowns on both sides. In a playoff game, with an opponent as closely matched to you as SF, there is very little margin for error. One area where I would criticize Capers, and mind you I am not a big fan of 2nd guessing a coach, I would question why he played man to man coverage against a running QB once it became obvious the QB could run. I would of liked to see them switch to zone much quicker than they did. They left a wide open middle for Kap. That cost us. Offensively, we had a weak 2nd half, rare for us because we are usually a strong 2nd half team. You can fault the offense there. Too many dropped balls, not enough sense of urgency. As a team, we just didn't play to our potential or skill level. If we had, we would of won that game even though it would still be very close. Keep in mind SF is a very strong team. There is no shame in losing to them. They just beat us and there's not much more you can say. You can analyze every aspect of the game and break it down piece by piece but the end result it the same. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fumbled punt was a back breaker much like the Hail Mary last year. The Packers finally stop Kapernick and get him off the field and immediately give him the ball on the five-yard line. It changed the entire momentum of the game.

I was also waiting for a defensive adjustment that never came. I'm not a defensive coordinator, I'm not any kind of a coordinator... nor am I a defense, but the Packers kept running man and putting nobody between the defensive line and the secondary. Kapernick just pulled the ball down and ran at will. Where was the adjustment?

With that being said, this team needs linebackers. Linebackers who can run... Linebackers who can tackle... Line backers who don't get consistently confused by the "read option" over and over and over again. The lack of athleticism of AJ Hawk, Erik Walden and Brad Jones looked slow and bad.

Well, hopefully Brian Bulaga, Derrik Sherrod, Jerel Worthy, Desmond Bishop and Nick Perry all come back healthy and contribute.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why kaepernick wasn't assigned a spy every play and how no one else figured out that all they did was read option or throw to crabtree.

Who would you have put on him? Nobody at the linebacker position is fast enough and none of our DB's can tackle. So really who do you assign to him?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Personally, I blame the 49'ers for being a better prepared and more talented team.

I mean...the nerve of those a-holes... to thoroughly trounce our guys twice in one season. Apparrntly, they didn't get the memo that they're supposed to defer to the Packers.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would you have put on him? Nobody at the linebacker position is fast enough and none of our DB's can tackle. So really who do you assign to him?

That was exactly my point. A spy is useless we don't have a player to keep up with him. It was the coverage that was the problem, not using a spy.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

You forgot Gore. You also forgot Kaper wisely reading our man to man coverage and seeing a wide open middle, just running the ball with no one to catch him. Assigning a spy isn't going to help you in that situation.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
You forgot Gore. You also forgot Kaper wisely reading our man to man coverage and seeing a wide open middle, just running the ball with no one to catch him. Assigning a spy isn't going to help you in that situation.
We did pretty good stopping Gore.

Latest posts