Vote Packers Players to the Pro Bowl!

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about playing it out with Strat-O-Matic football? I loved this as a kid. Anybody still play it?

The Pro Bowl selections, though not perfect, represent a consensus that is weighted 2/3 toward player and coaches opinions. While an AP All-Pro selection is most prized, choosing the between the best vs. second best QB or the 2nd. best vs. 3rd. best cornerback is somewhat arbitrary.

With the Pro Bowl rosters, 6 or 8 QBs and 8 or 10 CBs (after the alternates get named) captures the better players without attempting to split hairs. While there are always a couple of reputational picks made out of habit, the choices are by and large, quite credible. As a consequence, Pro Bowl selections are considered in HOF voting (as already noted) and as a contract incentive on occasion.

It would seem the attempts to discredit the Pro Bowl in these kinds of discussions have as much to do with the Packers not getting many players on the roster in recent years as anything else.
Strat-O-Matic are we thinking of the same game?the one where you line up your guys and turn it on and they vibrate all over the place,that's the one I had as a kid in the late 60's.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It's funny how they have updated it with the cleats and the remote to control the speed to somehow try to keep it relevant and yet it still looks really dumb or is lame.
You can't polish a turd.

We had a game called Subbuteo which was massive, and had world championships etc. THAT was pretty dumb now we look at it again.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how they have updated it with the cleats and the remote to control the speed to somehow try to keep it relevant and yet it still looks really dumb or is lame.
You can't polish a turd.
That is the one I had when I was around 10 years old and it sucked so bad we played with it for about 1/2 hour and never touched it again,it was much more fun to play football outside with all our buddies.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're spoiled. A QB who may not be among the consensus elite 4 (or maybe 5 now with Luck) but still in a theoretical top 11 is good enough to win a Super Bowl with the right surrounding cast. If we had a top 4 ILB you might sing a different tune about the "honor" that might accrue.

sure, but you're talking about team success and I'm talking about individual honors that the league anoints. Each their own, no problem with you thinking it's an honor to be in the top 1/3 of the league at your position

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a game called Subbuteo which was massive, and had world championships etc. THAT was pretty dumb now we look at it again.
The one we had as kids was dumb,you turn it on an it vibrates,guy with the football would do a Jim Marshall and go in the wrong end zone.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

sure, but you're talking about team success and I'm talking about individual honors that the league anoints. Each their own, no problem with you thinking it's an honor to be in the top 1/3 of the league at your position
You're right...there is no problem in thinking that.

H

HardRightEdge

Strat-O-Matic are we thinking of the same game?the one where you line up your guys and turn it on and they vibrate all over the place,that's the one I had as a kid in the late 60's.
As noted previously, Strat-O-Matic is something entirely different. A google search indicates it is still around. If the game is still materially the same as it was 40-some years ago when I played it, it's better than Maddon...the probabilities are transparent though somewhat complex. A kid could learn some math playing it.

OP
OP
PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Latest posts