Vonta Leach Released!!!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers Tuesday released fullback Vonta Leach. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, made the announcement.

Wide receiver Koren Robinson, who agreed to terms yesterday, signed with Green Bay Tuesday.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henderson must be ready to play.

I thought Humphrey would get released, but I don't believe Leach fit the system at all. He did have a couple good blocks Sunday, though.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to blow my own horn or anything, but I'm five for five. Back before training camp somebody did a post called "Love 'Em or Leave 'Em," in which we picked players who would contribute to the Packers this season and players who would not contribute. My five candidates for not contributing were Mark Roman, Rod Gardner, Najeh Davenport, Adrian Klemm, and Vonta Leach. Now every one of them has been waived.

I've never been a Leach fan, but I'm not sure what the offense will look like if Henderson gets hurt again. McCarthy has talked about how the fullback plays a different role in his offense and does not need to be as big of a blocker, but in the preseason and the first regular season game, the fullback seemed to do the same thing we saw under Sherman.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't a good fit for us at all. He could block but McCarthy wants guys who can catch and Leach can't catch.

I rather have them release Martin, Lee, or Murphy. I did read Murphy was being worked at FB. Perhaps they feel he can block and catch where as Leach can only catch.

This isn't a bad move releasing Leach. Leach won't contribute much anyways when Henderson get's back so someone had to go.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree Porky, Leach was a solid blocker. He is the better than Willie when it comes to blocking. Willie looked pretty bad in the preseason. Also what if Willie gets hurt again.

This is a VERY bad move, letting go your best blocking FB because he can't catch real well is stupid. Fergie and Martin can't catch and they are still here. Leach was a FB for christs sake. Whats he going to see, 1-2 passes a game? COMPLETELY BONEHEADED! TT just doesn't much care for people who can block.

The only bright spot of Sunday was Green ran for 100 yards and then Teddy releases the guy who blew the holes open for em. Friggin Brilliant

Reaction score
Er, porky I just came from class so I'm friggin out of it, but did you mean Humphrey? I can't recall a Murphy on the roster.

Leach was our backup FB, but he was slightly above average at blocking at best IMO.

The real test comes now, as TT must find a guy to replace him, or MM must develop someone already on the roster.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked him for his blocking skills but feel no pain now that he's gone, hopefully Koren will stay clean.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea whats going on anymore with this team! Maybe with our new offensive scheme, the FB is only used for lead blocking and/or dump passes. That said, I don't see why we couldn't adapt one of our TE's in that set. Let's face it, our TE's are used the same way as the FB to a degree, minus the seam routes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I like the move. Excellent. Many positives to this move.

Show them that no one is safe. You screw up, you are gone. Everyone is expendable.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll soon be down to 22 players who have all learned a lesson:)o) You don't break up with your gal unless you have another one set up. I hope he has someone in mind unless we're going to convert some TE.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
We'll soon be down to 22 players who have all learned a lesson:)o) You don't break up with your gal unless you have another one set up. I hope he has someone in mind unless we're going to convert some TE.

They might as well.......the TE's didn't do anything last week!

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harsh on Leach, I think! 4 TEs seems to be a lot - unless one of them is hiding something as a FB!

I take Calicheese's point - if we cut everyone who messes up, then we are going to have a very thin roster before long. :oops:

I'd be happier if I had more confidence in Robinson, but I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures. Either TT is a genius for recognising something in him that most are now doubting, or he is rolling the dice - time will tell.

So, yet another successor to William Henderson bites the dust! :wink:

Chris

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thisis a TERRIBLE move. We rush for 100 yards and we release the guy the blew the holes open for Green. Go back and watch the tape. Vonta was the best blocking FB on this team. Certainly better than Big Willy is anymore. I don't care about his hands, whats he going to get 1-2 passes a game? David Martin can't catch and he is a friggin TE!

God knows we need 4 te's and a bunch of non-contributors in the secondary. I just don't get the logic here. Now we will have to pursue a FB next year. More youth I guess. I think TT cut him because it was a MS guy.

Ranks right up there with Longwell. It may be just a FB, or just a kicker but these guys are SOOOO important to the overall team. I can't believe there were not 10 other guys to go before our 1 and only FB after Big Willy who looked BAD in preseason.

The bad moves just keep piling up!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Thisis a TERRIBLE move. We rush for 100 yards and we release the guy the blew the holes open for Green. Go back and watch the tape. Vonta was the best blocking FB on this team. Certainly better than Big Willy is anymore. I don't care about his hands, whats he going to get 1-2 passes a game? David Martin can't catch and he is a friggin TE!

God knows we need 4 te's and a bunch of non-contributors in the secondary. I just don't get the logic here. Now we will have to pursue a FB next year. More youth I guess. I think TT cut him because it was a MS guy.

Ranks right up there with Longwell. It may be just a FB, or just a kicker but these guys are SOOOO important to the overall team. I can't believe there were not 10 other guys to go before our 1 and only FB after Big Willy who looked BAD in preseason.

2 for 2 today Pyle. David Martin should have been released two years ago! Cutting Leach because of his affiliation with MS sounds like a conspiracy theory though. Wasn't Vonte on the verge last year, and Luchey was cut instead? I remember something about the 49ers wanting to scarf up Vonta if we tried to sneak him on the practice squad.

All in all, I don't agree with this move either!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:

Cutting Leach because of his affiliation with MS sounds like a conspiracy theory though.

yeah theres a lot of that stupid stuff flying around. Add a loss to the mix, and it gets worse.

did you know, TT is also making GB bad so favre retires? its true! hes a witch! BURN HIM!

Lock827

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping our Saints will pick him up, as we lost both FB's to injury last week in the first half and have only signed 1 so far.

Is he a good blocker with stone hands? That's what I'm gathering from reading the posts.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lock827 said:
I'm hoping our Saints will pick him up, as we lost both FB's to injury last week in the first half and have only signed 1 so far.

Is he a good blocker with stone hands? That's what I'm gathering from reading the posts.

Some seem to think he was a great blocker. I think last week was probably his only good game. (Which is strange.....he had his best game, then gets cut). Anyway, i was not overly impressed with what his over all career has been. Below average in my view. Now, this is ONLY my opinion. I sure don't know everything. It's just what i saw it for.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can put Martin back there. Just as good a blocker with just as good a hands.

Just being sarcastic.

Althought I believe that is part of the plan.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
We can put Martin back there. Just as good a blocker with just as good a hands.

Just being sarcastic.

Althought I believe that is part of the plan.

I know it was only the first game, but did we even HAVE a TE on the field Sunday???
(more sarcasm!!! :wink: )