Vonnie Holiday

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Vonnie Holliday, UFA, Miami Dolphins
He’s been an effective defensive tackle throughout his career, and when Holliday hits the market, his experience, talent, and size will make him a desirable option for teams that need defensive interior run support. He posted seven sacks in 2006, and Miami won’t want to lose him, as they have a collection of veteran players who could help make a Super Bowl push in the next few seasons. Yet, Holliday can command a decent dollar amount if he seeks a new employer. Don’t be surprised to see the Dolphins re-sign him before free agency.

Packers kicked themselves in the *** when he signed with KC. I wonder if we go after him.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
And to think, we let him go so we could give the big bucks to Cledius Hunt

omg are you serious? i thought we let him go cuz he got injured an didnt think he'd recover ... my god ... ok i will refrain from going on a how stupid is Sherman rant....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offered Holliday a good contract, which he turned down. He then played out the last season of his Packer contract and had the bad luck to get injured, forcing him to sign with K.C. for much less money than he would've earned had he re-upped with the Packers the year before.

He was a good run-stopping DE, but not much of a force as a pass rusher, except in that one game against the Bills where he had something like five sacks. The Dolphins have moved him to DT, which is probably where he should've been playing before. That's where he played in college.

He's a solid player, but not a great one. I don't think he would add much to the Packer defense at this point.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great Post Zero!

This is why I love this site. A post like this gets me thinking and keeps me in the N.F.L. mental zone in the off season.

Every NFL Team has players they should perhaps have never let get away, and it is a great powwow. I liked Holliday as a player and I think it was sad that a great deal of members here jumped on his ***, or wrote him off when he chose to not take the offer and play out his contract. That was a business decision, and this is still a business.

This is a good story, for an Ex Packer who contributed to this team.

I am happy for him. He comes back from a major injury, he does well, he makes money.

It is the American dream.

Thanks for the heads up on a former Packer.

R.P.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't this thread belong in another forum. It's history. No offense but my Sherman thread was locked?

Holliday was a pretty good defensive end. The Packers offered him a contract extension before the start of the 2002 season. He turned it down. He then had a knee injury and as damaged goods, he was signed by KC for less money in 2003. His entire story reeks of irony. As a result, the Packers signed Joe Johnson for protection. Johnson was considered as the best free agent available. The Packers got 11 games out of Johnson with two sacks and bad hits to the salary cap when he was released.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Greg. We have "good" DTs not great, pass-rushing ones. If we go after a DT, he MUST be one who can collapse the pocket. Easier said than done. Maybe Okoye in the draft, although he's not big.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers actually offered Vonnie more then he signed with KC. If my memory is correct VH fired his agent over the deal, after the guy told him he could get more money elsewhere.

Funny how history gets twisted at times.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers actually offered Vonnie more then he signed with KC. If my memory is correct VH fired his agent over the deal, after the guy told him he could get more money elsewhere.

Funny how history gets twisted at times.

Thanks for setting the record straight. If it wasn't for the greed of his agent, Vonnie would still be here and Cletidus would have been bonging it up on someone else's fans money.