1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vista vs. XP

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by IronMan, Feb 13, 2008.

1. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I am wanting to buy a new laptop. And since everything now comes with the Vista operating system, I was wondering if stores like Best Buy or Circuit City will remove Vista and install XP? And if so how much does it cost?

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    dont you like Vista?

I bought a brand new HP last year and it was installed on it..I think its awesome, no real issues with it all..

Even with older things such as my dig camera program, it ran fine.

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I'm not sure. But I've heard that its really complicated, and eats up a lot of RAM.

4. PackFanWithTwins

PackFanWithTwins Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Compared to XP, Vista is a pig. But items can be turned off to make run faster.

My father-in-law bought a Laptop with Vista, and I have only had to fix a couple items for him. Unable to remove or repair Quicken after it developed problems. Had to download the Microsoft cleanup utility to remove the program before I could reload for him.

All in all I do not yet feel comfortable with Vista.

Upgrade to an older more familiar operating system.

5. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Mac OS X and Linux. My boxes and laptop have worked for years.

No anti-virus software needed.

Never lost data.

No crashes.

Plus, bring in a Mac laptop to an internet cafe and it impresses the babes.

Now to answer your question, Vista is a memory hog and it's buggy. You're better off with XP.

6. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Vista is fine. I have it on my laptop and it works great. I'm on that computer about 5-10 hours a day. My experience has not proved anyone's complaints to me.

It's really just a nicer XP.

7. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    For a home machine that is being bought new.. Vista.. plus there are things like the indexing and such that can be toggled off to help speed if needed or ram draw. I have been running it for about 9 months are work and about 6 months here on the laptop at home. To me.. the graphics and ease of use rocks.

Office is an adjustment with the ribbons.. but after a while the transition is okay. Being the I run the IT department, we decided to purchase only Vista machines going forward. Some plugins are issues and combatablity at times is interesting, but once you find the drivers for the bridges.. it is an improvement over XP.

Plus the access to the services on Vista is a blessing.

8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    It does hog lot of resources but as long as you have nuff ram it should be fine..and since your getting a NEW l/t there shouldnt be any issues.

9. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you use Outlook as your mail server? We've had nightmares with Vista and Outlook. Yes, I'm forced to use a Windoze laptop. Well, not really forced but I'm not going to buy a computer for work when I'm provided with a free one.

the other problem we've had with Vista is with Java IDEs. Not sure if you have Java developers at your work. I think the issues have been fixed, but I'm just saying initially had some problems.

The rule of thumb with any microsoft product is to wait 2 years and they'll iron out most of the bugs. You never want to be first in line.

10. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds like good advice. The main reason I want a laptop is so when I go to Green Bay, I won't have to go 3 days with no internet. Last December, when I went to the Packers/Lions game, I was there for 3 days, and I had serious pf.com withdrawels! :shock: And I sure could have used a laptop during all those flight delays.

11. BryanAschenbrenner

BryanAschenbrenner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mac OSX Leopard all the way. You can run both windows and OSX on separate partitions.

12. Toddy

Toddy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    Our school removed Vista from everyone's computer and put XP back on.

13. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Yeah, there were the start up issues when I first started to toy with in back in July, but I was the only one running it and worked through the issues. We use very little Java.. but that along with the first couple of clitches with .Net framework, some intital soap issues, and lack of overall drivers made the transition a little perplexing, but it is comming just like the XP mess when it first started up.

A couple of people I know in the industry waited on XP because of the intital issues and headaches, but the transition later was just as painful and costly when the 2000 os started to breakdown or conflict with the new server technology. So my moto is try to keep up with the curve, not bleeding edge but on the fringes so to speak, I am pretty confident in the transition right now. If we had a larger programming staff than me.. I might hold back there.. but so far so good. MSDN is a must though in the transition and taking advantage of the Microsoft development ware.

As far as the mail server, yes we are running Exchange 07 on a 64 bit 03 server with great success. 07 has some improvements in the spam filtering that is very successful.. but as always a bear to maintain the filters. Running mostly outlook 07 on the desktop, but the biggest addition is the web outlook in 07.. the interface is a virtual clone of the the Outlook interface.. have alot of the outside sales and satelite workers using it, some of the internal users are as well.. it is lighter on the client machine.. excellent add.

Also trying the Mac OSX Leopard and having alot of issues within the network with plugins and drivers.. the 03 server platform apparently doesn't take well to it in the domain. It runs, just over by the marketing people alot trying to keep it clean, but for the ad campaign graphics, it is impressive. I am going to bring it home on a long weekend sometime to let it stand alone and give it a good run through.

14. Desis

Desis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Hp in November I think. It has Vista on it, and it runs fine. I've got 2GB ram. Nad yeah, it eats some ram ;)

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That sucks about Leopard. I've never used Mac as a server. I've always used Linux as small servers and it works wonderfully. That's its forte.

16. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    LT has the right idea. once you go Mac, you never go back.

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    since it's been brought up, I'm still running Tiger on my comp., and am reluctant to upgrade to Leopard, because of 1) laser printer i use is a dell branded Samsung-built laser printer and I've heard people say Leopard dropped printer drivers for a great many printers and i don't want to be left out in the cold, and 2) Wife needs CS3 to work properly, or she's losing money.

Any experience with these types of issues in regards to Leopard?

18. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't tell you. I'm using Tiger on both my laptop and my desktop.

19. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8