Vinnie Curry- Red Flags?

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few weeks back I stated that there are some "red flags" regarding Vinnie Curry, the DE/OLB from Marshall. I was asked to not disclose them until after April began because they are "sensitive" issues that are causing some "red flags" with Curry.

I spoke to an AFC West scout in my evaluation process about Curry (in February), who I thought had the skill set that could translate nicely to the Packers 3/4 and entice Ted Thompson. The scout (who I have known for many years, trust and has dinner with my family on many occasions) told me that "Curry has some red flags". I asked what they were he replied "Curry is not a smart person, on the field, off the field, in the class room and in the film room. He is the type of kid that you can't trust because he makes poor decisions, both on and off the field. He has had people cover for him and look out for his best interests, but in the NFL, once he gets paid, all bets are off. The fear with our team is he comes in, gets paid and ends up in jail or puts himself in situations that may end up getting suspended or kicked out the NFL."

He told me to ask around to other scouts and sources I have, so I did. I spoke to 3 other scouts for NFL teams and an "independent" scout (from a scouting service) and they all conveyed the same feelings and doubts about Curry.

The prevailing thought is he is NOT a smart player and will struggle to pick up a complex defense (like the Packers run). If he is asked to do anything other then go get the QB he will struggle and won't have much of a career in the NFL. They worry about his decision making off the field, the company he keeps, the places he goes, and if he will continue to play hard when he gets an NFL paycheck.

I do not have a link nor will I reveal my sources. I have no grudge nor do I know Curry and have no reason to make this up. This is what I was told by 5 different scouts (who are sources) and make a living scouting players and have access to information most people do not have. I am not sure if teams or the Packers have taken him off their draft boards. I was told that a prominent "draft expert" will also report this as the draft gets closer.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great info there. I really liked what I saw on tape but there is no reason for anyone to make that stuff up about him. Sounds like a future Cowboy to me.

Reaction score
if he's still on the board, draft him, point at the QB and tell him to start hunting.... Try and milk a season or two of productive pass rush from him, if he matures, then great...but if he starts showing some "problems", then trade/cut him.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nice thing about a playing in a tiny market like Green Bay is that there isn't much trouble to get into. Green Bay, WI has to make any posse hesitate...

The information is interesting: may explain a possible slip in the draft or it might be disinformation propagated by clubs that would benefit from seeing him passed over...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a Marshall player.

Again, Johnny Jolly proved that even if a guy is on that Packers, that if it's in his blood to be a gangsta thug, that it's gonna come out sooner or later.
The headaches Teddy has had because of Jolly will probly cause him to simply remove this idiot from his draft board.

No My Cousin Vinny in Green Bay.
Give us Bruce Irvin and his dreadlocks instead.

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that he could be successful in Green Bay, where he would probably be a guarantee bust in teams like the Jets. Though after his combine and this, I'd be disappointed if he went in the first round to us. Could be worth the late round 2nd pick that GB has but, even then, there could be some great OLB's that fall. Really hoping that Shea McClellin falls to us in the 2nd round because I think he has everything we need.

Members online

Latest posts