Vince Wilfork

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here but I expect 90 to surprise some people this upcoming season. The way I look at it he is running out of time to make some serious money and this next year is literally "do or die" IMO. We all know he has been a disappointment since his breakout campaign in 2010 but that doesn't mean he is donezo in my mind. He seemed to be in pretty good shape (huge man good shape that is) last year before the injury ended his season before it started and from all accounts he has spent the entire rehab stint with the team opposed to away from the team which is pretty standard. He has the ability to be a game-changer and I think it is only a matter of drive and determination. If he shows up out of shape or doesn't produce then his career can pretty much be considered wasted and I can't help but believe he is fully aware of this. He is not yet 30 and has a chance to put some serious coin in the bank if he has a great season. This may be a pipe dream and I am prepared for the onslaught of naysayers that will flame me for this post but I don't put anything up that I don't truthfully believe. Imagine if we can get a motivated Raji and Guion to bolster the middle of this D-Line. If somehow this can come to fruition I can't help but think our defense will be vastly improved not to mention the possibility of some of the young guys (Thornton, Pennel, Robinson...) taking a big step this next season. Again, I know there are many doubters (rightfully so) but I have a good feeling that BJ is going to help this team get to the promise land this season but as always time will tell...

G P G!!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here but I expect 90 to surprise some people this upcoming season. The way I look at it he is running out of time to make some serious money and this next year is literally "do or die" IMO. We all know he has been a disappointment since his breakout campaign in 2010 but that doesn't mean he is donezo in my mind. He seemed to be in pretty good shape (huge man good shape that is) last year before the injury ended his season before it started and from all accounts he has spent the entire rehab stint with the team opposed to away from the team which is pretty standard. He has the ability to be a game-changer and I think it is only a matter of drive and determination. If he shows up out of shape or doesn't produce then his career can pretty much be considered wasted and I can't help but believe he is fully aware of this. He is not yet 30 and has a chance to put some serious coin in the bank if he has a great season. This may be a pipe dream and I am prepared for the onslaught of naysayers that will flame me for this post but I don't put anything up that I don't truthfully believe. Imagine if we can get a motivated Raji and Guion to bolster the middle of this D-Line. If somehow this can come to fruition I can't help but think our defense will be vastly improved not to mention the possibility of some of the young guys (Thornton, Pennel, Robinson...) taking a big step this next season. Again, I know there are many doubters (rightfully so) but I have a good feeling that BJ is going to help this team get to the promise land this season but as always time will tell...

G P G!!

I think the problem some of us have is that the bold could have been written before the 2013 season, too, and look what happened then.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

G P G!!

He had his chance to make some serious money after the 2013 season. Heck, we offered him some serious money. If it's a matter of drive and determination for BJ, if he didn't have the drive and determination to earn his money in a contract year, I don't see when he ever will.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love him to prove me wrong. But he lost the benefit of the doubt long ago now. He's little more than a depth guy worth a near vet minimum pickup, until/unless he can prove otherwise.

I still probably wouldn't touch him on a long-term deal even if he breaks out again in 2015 knowing his effort history when he loses motivation.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

G P G!!

You're not alone! Love me some Raji.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
chris mortensen has REPORTEDLY said the Packers will go after Vince

I havent been able to read or see this myself, just was told this by someone

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chris mortensen has REPORTEDLY said the Packers will go after Vince

I havent been able to read or see this myself, just was told this by someone

It just seems logical the Packers would go after Wilfork. He's a premier nose tackle who would probably sign a two-year deal. He'd instantly upgrade the defensive line and allow Daniels and Jones to play defensive end exclusively. Packers have the cap space to sign him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's "still got plenty of gas in the tank"- Vince's words- then I'd go after him hard.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the Patriots not picking up Wilfork's option for another year make him a guy who wouldn't count against comp picks?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't question Wilfork's motivation, drive and heart. I do question Raji's

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Wilfork here also but that's not TTs mo. He usually only signs cut players who don't count against comp picks. I am not ripping TT for this strategy because I think he has done an outstanding job of player personell and handling the cap to keep us competitive every year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i forgot that he was a FA and not cut. that does make a difference. But i'd still like him over the other 2 options being discussed :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Wilfork here also but that's not TTs mo. He usually only signs cut players who don't count against comp picks. I am not ripping TT for this strategy because I think he has done an outstanding job of player personell and handling the cap to keep us competitive every year.

If Wilfork can make a difference here at a reasonable price, they'll go for him.
A lot of people here seem to be hung up on comp picks. You don't know if you'll get a comp pick, or where it will fall if you do, other than knowing it can't be any higher than #97 overall.
To pass on a quality player who could be a difference maker because it may cost you a comp pick that you don't even know you're getting would be stupid.
And Thompson is not stupid.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT prefers the FA's who were cut to keep his comp picks in line, but it's not a deal breaker or anything. Most recently, Jeff Saturday was a traditional FA signing. He's not going to cross a guy off his list just because of it.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude. I am not saying TT is stupid just saying look at his recent past. He seems to prefer to sign cut players rather than UFAs. Not saying he wont do it just saying its not something he does very often.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying you were saying TT is stupid. Your points are good ones; mine was just a general commentary on comp picks.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read Wilfork has been linked to Houston. Don't know if they have something in place or not. I really would have liked to at least brought him in for a visit. Who really knows though with all these rumors going around whats really going on.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what my only concern with Wilfork would be? Say what you will about him but Belichick is a genius at getting rid of guys whose time is up.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to sign Raji and Wilfork both. It would be a competitive rotation. And Wilfork world certainly rub off on Raji and the other young D-linemen. Give old man Wilfork a snap count during the season, so he is fresh for the playoffs... Boom!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to sign Raji and Wilfork both. It would be a competitive rotation. And Wilfork world certainly rub off on Raji and the other young D-linemen. Give old man Wilfork a snap count during the season, so he is fresh for the playoffs... Boom!

Raji cannot hold Wilfork's jock. Raji is not in Wilfork's league. Raji sucks. (bangs head against well, beats dead horse)

Members online

Latest posts