Vince Lombardi: A Football Life

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's on tonight.

I dunno why I keep on writing to myself here.
I thought others would be excited about this as well.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw it last night and will be watching part two. It's an excellent documentary and includes some footage rarely seen before. Should be "must see" for all fans.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had to DVR it. (Thank god for those to zip through commercials.)
Sis came over for our annual Christmas eve get together.
No idea when I'll watch it but am looking forward to it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched Part 1. I thought the piece done on him on "Biography" was better so far.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed it and forgot to record it. I checked the broadcast schedule on my Comcast TV guide, and in a week or so NFL Network is doing a Football Life marathon... sadly none of those are Lombardi.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It's on tonight.

I dunno why I keep on writing to myself here.
I thought others would be excited about this as well.

:laugh:.......calm down, and take deep breaths. We`ve talked about this before. I`m not excited because I cant see it anyway.

Reaction score
I missed it and forgot to record it. I checked the broadcast schedule on my Comcast TV guide, and in a week or so NFL Network is doing a Football Life marathon... sadly none of those are Lombardi.

Chicocheese, I missed it, too. I have DISH and when I checked on the NFL Network last evening, it is scheduled to be airing again at 9:00 pm, est. (Part I) with Part 2 to follow at 10:00 pm, est. on Thursday, Jan. 2. At least that is what my programming guide listed via DISH, so I set my DVR. I'm looking forward to seeing it and I hope you will get the opportunity as well.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot to DVR it too.

Did they talk much about Lombardi's Christian faith or did they wash that out due to PC?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did one on Ladainian Tomlinson?????
I was a fan of him, but they're reaching there....

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are replaying Parts I and II next week on the NFL Network as noted. However, when it aired on Tuesday they also did a 1/2 segment afterward called "Backstory" I think. I recorded Part I and the backstory but haven't watched them yet. I didn't see the backstory when I looked ahead to next week though.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicocheese, I missed it, too. I have DISH and when I checked on the NFL Network last evening, it is scheduled to be airing again at 9:00 pm, est. (Part I) with Part 2 to follow at 10:00 pm, est. on Thursday, Jan. 2. At least that is what my programming guide listed via DISH, so I set my DVR. I'm looking forward to seeing it and I hope you will get the opportunity as well.

I didn't get as far as the 2nd of January, so I will check that out on my Comcast guide! Thanks a lot for the heads up!

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so I watched part 1 last night.
And all it is, is the repeat of the doc. that aired on HBO last year.
Frankly, I'm disappointed.
I was hoping for something original or to get other insights into Lombardi.
I guess HBO covered all the bases or in this case the field that NFL network didn't feel like they had to do anything new.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so I watched part 1 last night.
And all it is, is the repeat of the doc. that aired on HBO last year.
Frankly, I'm disappointed.
I guess HBO covered all the bases or in this case the field that NFL network didn't feel like they had to do anything new.
I don't pay for HBO so that part won't bother me.

I just saw the commercial on the NFL Network for Part 2, next Tue at 8PM central time.
But what about Part 1 again?????

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If you haven't already read it, I recommend When Pride Still Mattered by David Maraniss. I haven't read anything more comprehensive on Lombardi.

H

HardRightEdge

What could be said that's not already been covered? Unless somebody discovers some trove of long lost correspondence, this is well traveled ground. Some of us never tire of it.

This particular documentary can be thought of as the audio/visual summary of the Maraniss book, which is certainly not a bad way to go. It uses the same story arc with the same points of emphasis. Maraniss appears frequently; it would not surprise me if he got a producer credit.

H

HardRightEdge

They did one on Ladainian Tomlinson?????
I was a fan of him, but they're reaching there....
The series is not about GOATs per se. It's about interesting football lives...as the title suggests.

And you'll be happy to know that Lombardi's religiousness is sufficiently highlighted. "Faith"? I dunno...that was a more sensible time when faith was considered primarily a personal matter, as was doubt of faith which comes to all true believers at one time or another. We're told Lombardi went to mass every day. Thankfully, he wasn't on the church steps shouting what he was praying over.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What could be said that's not already been covered? Unless somebody discovers some trove of long lost correspondence, this is well traveled ground. Some of us never tire of it.

This particular documentary can be thought of as the audio/visual summary of the Maraniss book, which is certainly not a bad way to go. It uses the same story arc with the same points of emphasis. Maraniss appears frequently; it would not surprise me if he got a producer credit.
Yeah, your right.
To be honest, it did remind me of stuff that I had forgotten when previously watched on HBO and there's probably a lot of stuff that I'll forget again since I care to only watch it once.
Part 2? I dunno. Maybe.
I was expecting NFL Network to create a new program instead of just re-hashing one that was already on another channel.
Is that how A Football Life is always done?

H

HardRightEdge

Is that how A Football Life is always done?

Any story you tell about Lombardi at this point is rehashing something else.

Many of the "A Football Life" stories are about personalities and subjects that have not been previously covered in such excruciating detail. You can google it to see previous subjects. A bunch of the most recent ones have been very good...the history of the forward pass, the 90's Cowboy's O-Line, Marty Schottenheimer, the Oilers 1993 team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts