Vinatieri ?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vinatieri puts foot in the door with Packers
By John Tomase/ Patriots Notebook
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - Updated: 06:44 AM EST

E-mail article View text version View most popular
Kicker Adam Vinatieri will make his first official visit of free agency Friday when he travels to Green Bay to meet the Packers.

Green Bay recently lost kicker Ryan Longwell to the Minnesota Vikings and began free agency with more than $30 million in salary cap space. Vinatieri’s standing as the best bad-weather kicker in history makes him an obvious target for the Pack, although a source close to Vinatieri said he’d prefer a warmer climate if he decides to leave New England.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A better Piece :

Packers: Vinatieri to visit
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY - The Green Bay Packers weren't willing to pony up to keep Ryan Longwell, but apparently that doesn't mean the team won't at least consider paying top dollar for a kicker.

An NFL source said Tuesday night that the Packers plan on bringing New England Patriots free agent kicker Adam Vinatieri in for a visit on Friday.

Vinatieri, widely considered the best clutch kicker in the game after making last-minute kicks to win Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII, figures to command even more than the five-year, $10 million ($3 million signing bonus) contract Longwell signed with the Minnesota Vikings earlier this week.

Vinatieri was tagged as a franchise player by the Patriots each of the past two offseasons, but the team opted not to use the tag on him again this year. While the Patriots want him back, the prevailing thought is that he will sign elsewhere - though the Packers' interest comes as a mild surprise.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson was unavailable for comment Tuesday night. But when asked Monday about Longwell's departure, Thompson admitted that a "kicker is incredibly important, and it's most important when you don't have one."

In his career, Vinatieri has made 19 game-winning field goals in the final minute, and has been even more impressive in the playoffs. Not only did he kick the Patriots to two titles, but he also kicked a pair of game-winners in division playoff rounds and an NFL record-tying five field goals in the 2003 AFC Championship Game.

Vinatieri, 33, was 20-for-25 on field goal attempts in 2005 and has made 263 of 321 attempts (81.9 percent) for his career. A native of South Dakota, he entered the league in 1996 as an undrafted free agent out of South Dakota State and kicked against the Packers in Super Bowl XXXI. He was once represented by Packers vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandt was once Vinetari's agent

I learned Thursday that Andrew Brandt was once Adam Vinateri's agent.

That could help or hurt the negotiation. I think it is an advantage to getting a deal. Adam may trust him a little. The market is established. Andrew may overpay a bit.

Longwell will be sour if the contract is significantly better than his with the vikings(5 years 10 mil; 3 mil in signing bonus).

Reaction score
Actually Brandt beeing his ex-agent could be good or bad. That is the most important factor in all of this, IMO. If Brandt and Vinateri parted on good terms, then they obviously have an understanding of each other. But if Brandt was fired, then it might lead to a little akwardness. Hope all goes well though! Have hears RUMOURS (perhaps its also wishful thinking :wink: ) that the Packers won't let Vinateri leave without a contract being signed. Hope its true.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was when Brandt went into management and stopped being an agent.

BTW I think only Javon Walker would say he has done a bad job. I think Sherman might have pushed him a little on some by saying "Git 'er done." Wolfe gave him a lot of autonomy. I hope Thompson does.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.......a field goal kicker IS important. 2 seasons ago, Longwell won several games for the Packers. Will "Vinnie" do so also? I don't know. Anyone that thinks the position isn't that important is wrong. I hope the Packers sign this guy, or get a decent one in the draft. (Hopefully......whoever they end up with, will only be needed for extra points!)

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason that I'm not so mad about Longwell leaving is because we have a good chance of signing Vinatieri. If a deal doesn't get done, I'm gonna be angry. :twisted:

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
The only reason that I'm not so mad about Longwell leaving is because we have a good chance of signing Vinatieri. If a deal doesn't get done, I'm gonna be angry. :twisted:

Agreed, I thought Longwell was a huge loss !!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longwell wasn't good last year. That being said, i HOPE they have a plan to get someone in. You HAVE to have a decent kicker.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other thread on Vinatieri Just vanished so I pulled this one up to say " not getting Vinatieri today just plain sucks" !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mods musta got their hands on it. threads appear\dsiappear. its kinda like Dark City.

yeah, no AV sucks.

I still say we get Edinger. Hes the best experienced kicker available unfortunately.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edinger is really good, he's pretty clutch too... not sure why he's not getting any love from teams.. perhaps it's because he's the ugliest man in the history of the NFL.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am starting to get a little concerned over the Kicker position.

With AV gone that leaves very little in the Free-Agent cupboard. Vanderjagt would be good but he spent his career thusfar booting balls in a dome. Not sure how he would be on the Frozen Tundra.

Edinger is available but I am not a huge fan of his. He was 3 for 4 over 50 last year so I guess he would be ok,but I really can live without his ugly stance before kicks.

Petersen is floating around but he just sucks.

After that there are those journeyman kickers like Cortez,Cundiff,etc.

I say we go find Martin Grammatica wherever he is. Guy kind of vanished after his bad year with Tampa. Priorto that I always thought he was an above average kicker.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gonna kill some of you when TT drafts a kicker this year.

Vanderjagt will want to much money and can't kick off.

The others are journeymen kickers for a reason. They can't make the clutch kick when it counts.

You can get a good young kicker for less money by going through the draft. One who can kick the ball into the endzone and be just as accurate as a journeyman kicker.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
btw, this was in packersnews.com about edinger:

At 28, Edinger is seven years younger than Vanderjagt, who stands as the most accurate kicker in NFL history.

yeah, we dont wanna get him.

hes a young man, we should get him (well, younger than vanderjag)

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man, let's just get the best kicker out there and forget about how he would look in your locker !!! :roll:

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Oh man, let's just get the best kicker out there and forget about how he would look in your locker !!! :roll:

ROFLMAO!! great post why would we care what anyone looks like. If he could hit the uprights 88% of the time he could look like a donkey for all i care

Latest posts