Vikings

Formo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Formo said:
NodakPaul already stated this, but Chilly doesn't make the offensive calls 100% of the time anymore, Bevell does. Also, if we talking about '06, I wouldn't say his playcalling was inferior to MM's.. I'd lean more towards Chilly was playing Capt. HardAnus, and was limited with what he could call, what with Brad Johnson and later T-Jack at the helm. MM had who? Oh yeah, one of the best, if not THE best QB in the history of the game.

I will give you the rigidity of Chilly's adjustments was really bad. That's the ONLY problem I have with his coaching. Everything else is just fine, if ya ask me.

The game we beat you last year that was close at half-time, AD was giving us fits. I think he already had 100+ yards in the 1st half. Then you guys pulled him in the 2nd half. I think he had like 3 carries in the 2nd half.

Whomever made that call is an idiot.

Oh, at the time, I hated that call. I was in Milwaukee at the time, visiting one of my best friends, and we were watching that game. We both were in awe that AP wasn't running the rock in the 2nd half. In fact, my Packer friend was yelling at the tv, claiming stupidity on the playcalling.

But, now, looking back, even though Chilly/Bevell still could have run AD more that 2nd half, I think they were just trying to keep him from getting too fatigued.

Not to mention the Vikings passed alot in the 2nd half to keep up..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, at the time, I hated that call. I was in Milwaukee at the time, visiting one of my best friends, and we were watching that game. We both were in awe that AP wasn't running the rock in the 2nd half. In fact, my Packer friend was yelling at the tv, claiming stupidity on the playcalling.

But, now, looking back, even though Chilly/Bevell still could have run AD more that 2nd half, I think they were just trying to keep him from getting too fatigued.

The funny thing is before the game, I said the way to beat the Vikings is to get a lead and force them to pass. I knew Childress would abandon the run, and your passing game doesn't scare me at all (as you know, your running game does - and yes, both backs).

Then I said that the 2nd game, and will say that the first game in '08.

Glad you mentioned Bevell. Now I know to share the blame instead of just blaming Childress. ;)

Of course, the way to beat us is to never give us a lead, then run the ball down our throats. I'm hoping this doesn't happen.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The game we beat you last year that was close at half-time, AD was giving us fits. I think he already had 100+ yards in the 1st half. Then you guys pulled him in the 2nd half. I think he had like 3 carries in the 2nd half.

If I remember right, the game was close until 1:11 in the 4th quarter. It was about that time that Holcomb throw an interception on the Packers 23 yard line.

I was surprised the Packers didn't score more in the second half.

Formo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Formo said:

The funny thing is before the game, I said the way to beat the Vikings is to get a lead and force them to pass. I knew Childress would abandon the run, and your passing game doesn't scare me at all (as you know, your running game does - and yes, both backs).

Glad you mentioned Bevell. Now I know to share the blame instead of just blaming Childress. ;)

Of course, the way to beat us is to never give us a lead, then run the ball down our throats. I'm hoping this doesn't happen.

Nice tip.. I'll pass it on to Chilly and Co. =D

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Formo said:

Nice tip.. I'll pass it on to Chilly and Co. =D
Please do!!!
(That guarentees he won't do it!!!) :lol:

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I remember right, the game was close until 1:11 in the 4th quarter. It was about that time that Holcomb throw an interception on the Packers 23 yard line.

The Vikings were down by 7 with 1:11 to go, 2 and 10 at the GB 34, when Holcomb tossed that interception. Good memory.

2-10-GB 34 (1:11) 13-K.Holcomb pass short left intended for 19-B.Wade INTERCEPTED by 20-A.Bigby at GB 23. 20-A.Bigby to GB 24 for 1 yard (82-T.Williamson). The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was Upheld.

and here's the NFL Gameday highlight package from that game:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802db1d2

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Raptorman said:

The Vikings were down by 7 with 1:11 to go, 2 and 10 at the GB 34, when Holcomb tossed that interception. Good memory.

2-10-GB 34 (1:11) 13-K.Holcomb pass short left intended for 19-B.Wade INTERCEPTED by 20-A.Bigby at GB 23. 20-A.Bigby to GB 24 for 1 yard (82-T.Williamson). The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was Upheld.

Williamson would have probably dropped the pass anyway.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
josdin00 said:
Raptorman said:

Williamson would have probably dropped the pass anyway.

No, the pass was intended for Wade. It was deflected and Bigby got the INT. Williamson's name is in there 'cause he's the one that tackled Bigby.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey... what is going to be the mantra if Williamson tears it up down in Jacksonville?

The mantra will be "who cares".

In all actuality I won't mind if he finds himself in Jacksonville. Sometimes a player needs a change of scenery in order to get it right. If he figures out how to catch, then I will be happy for him.

I have a feeling that this won't be the case though. Williamson always looked good in practice. It was during the game that he couldn't catch.

It will be interesting to see how he fares facing his old team when the Vikes roll into Jacksonville in week 12.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Oh I think the Chilly haters on the PPO will be out for Mr. Burnsie with the pitch forks and torchs if TWill light it up down there..

Seems like a nice kid.. for him I hope he turns it around down there..

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:

Oh I think the Chilly haters on the PPO will be out for Mr. Burnsie with the pitch forks and torchs if TWill light it up down there..

Nah, TWill sucked under Tice too.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I hope for his sake he does just fine. I remember last year all the reports on how well he was doing in practice and how much the Nike Vision people did for him. Then come game time and it's the same ole brick hands.

Formo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with the other Viking fans. I hope he does fine too.. Just not TOO fine, if you know what I mean. Heh

Although, I don't think it'll happen.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:

No, for the Chilly haters to come out in force, there needed to be some indication before the release that there was some reason to keep the player. *Everyone* wanted Williamson run out of town, especially after the Denver game in week 17. Start watching about 45 seconds in:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80599797

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
NodakPaul said:

No, for the Chilly haters to come out in force, there needed to be some indication before the release that there was some reason to keep the player. *Everyone* wanted Williamson run out of town, especially after the Denver game in week 17. Start watching about 45 seconds in:

Ouch. I guess we can't blame Jackson for that one.

Formo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
josdin00 said:
Pack93z said:
NodakPaul said:

Ouch. I guess we can't blame Jackson for that one.

Yup.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow....you can't get any more WIDE open then that. They usually say those can be the hardest catches, when no one is around you.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Williamson is a throwback player. He either needed to be playing when they could use "Stick em" or today where he gets thrown back. I like how they are talking him up in Jacksonville. He is catching everything in practice. Boy that sounds familiar. Yeah, I think we heard that last year.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williamson is a throwback player. He either needed to be playing when they could use "Stick em" or today where he gets thrown back. I like how they are talking him up in Jacksonville. He is catching everything in practice. Boy that sounds familiar. Yeah, I think we heard that last year.

I wonder if Nike regrets publicizing that they were helping him work on his vision.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow....you can't get any more WIDE open then that. They usually say those can be the hardest catches, when no one is around you.

Something else that is readily apparent on that video was AD's need to work on his pass blocking skills.

Watch it on the Viking's possession in overtime. AD runs up and cut blocks Cook's man. While Cook had him engaged, AD would have been free to pick up Mckinnley - instead Mckinnley comes in clean and destroys TJack.

A lot of my purple brethren, as well as some of the misguided green and gold followers here :wink: , like to criticize Childress for not putting AD in on passing plays. I think his pass blocking skills were a big reason.

Luckily, from all reports he has improved on this in the offseason.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Something else that is readily apparent on that video was AD's need to work on his pass blocking skills.

Watch it on the Viking's possession in overtime. AD runs up and cut blocks Cook's man. While Cook had him engaged, AD would have been free to pick up Mckinnley - instead Mckinnley comes in clean and destroys TJack.

A lot of my purple brethren, as well as some of the misguided green and gold followers here :wink: , like to criticize Childress for not putting AD in on passing plays. I think his pass blocking skills were a big reason.

I think Peterson is one of the most talented RB's i have ever seen. that said, i still think Adrian Peterson's biggest obstacle is Adrian Peterson. I just don't see him having a long productive career. All that punishment has already caused him to miss considerable time in college and even some time last year. it's only a matter of time before he wears his body out. it's kind of sad, because i think he could be great.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
cheesey said:

I think Peterson is one of the most talented RB's i have ever seen. that said, i still think Adrian Peterson's biggest obstacle is Adrian Peterson. I just don't see him having a long productive career. All that punishment has already caused him to miss considerable time in college and even some time last year. it's only a matter of time before he wears his body out. it's kind of sad, because i think he could be great.

It is pretty damn hard to blame his injury last year on AD. Watch the following right around 2:54. Harris comes in low right at AD's knees (which, I know, is a legal hit).

Anybody taking a hit like that directly to the side of their knee would get hurt. It doesn't matter what kind of running style they have.

That being said, after last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see AD stop looking for hard contact. He was already starting to show signs of that late last year.

And yes, he is great, and will continue to be. :wink:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris had to tackle AP low, otherwise he woulda got crushed. I know you're not saying its a cheap shot, I'm just sticking up for Al Harris.

I am? WTF...

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris had to tackle AP low, otherwise he woulda got crushed. I know you're not saying its a cheap shot, I'm just sticking up for Al Harris.

I am? WTF...

Whether or not he needed to go low is neither here nor there. My point is that anybody who takes a hit like that would suffer an injury. It cannot be blamed on AD taking a lot of punishment during games.

Members online

Latest posts