Vikings

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah but nodak.... your so called "bend but dont break" defense got broke more often than bending 8 times last year.

you can make stats say anything you want them to say. But i say your pass defense sucked last year because we threw for 700 yards against you and theres only one stat that you cant argue.

0-2 in 08 against the packers.

Let's see what the record is this season... ;)

TO be honest, with Fav-re at the helm, and no Vikings pass rush, it doesn't surprise me that the pack put up decent passing numbers against us last year.

This year, however, you won't have Fav-re, and we will have a pass rush. :)

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah but nodak.... your so called "bend but dont break" defense got broke more often than bending 8 times last year.

That's 'cause, as Nodak mentioned, the 'bend but don't break' defense was missing the 'get pressure on the QB to force INTS and incompletes' part. That's why we brought in Allen. If he even just has an average season for him (and he averages just shy of 11 sacks per year), our pass defense will be vastly improved.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could analyze defensive stats to death, but in reality, there's only one defensive stat that matters - Points Against.

MN allowed 20 more points than GB. Not a huge amount. That's pretty impressive.

With your acquisition of one of the NFL's top defensive linemen, that should help your pass rush.

Will you be a top 5 D in '08? Possibly. Will we be? Possibly.

Even with your addition, I'm still guessing our D will be better. Why? We have a more "complete" defense. You still have holes to fill up.

Your DL rocks though. I'll grant you that.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could analyze defensive stats to death, but in reality, there's only one defensive stat that matters - Points Against.

With your acquisition of one of the NFL's top defensive linemen, that should help your pass rush.

Even with your addition, I'm still guessing our D will be better. Why? We have a more "complete" defense. You still have holes to fill up.

What holes does the Vikings defense need to fill?

D-Line: 3 Pro Bowlers and 2 5-sack 2nd-year men on the other side in Ray Edwards and Brian Robison. Check.

LBs: A real stud who led the team in tackles in EJ Henderson, a young gun in Chad Greenway who improved every game last season and an established veteran in Ben Leber. Check.

CBs: The best-tackling CB in the league in Antoine Winfield, plus Ced Griffin, Marcus McCauley and Charles Gordon. Check.

Safeties: Madieu Williams - known for being a cover Safety added, Dwight Smith subtracted, what some pundits described as the best safety in the draft stolen in the 2nd round + Darren Sharper (a player who I, quite frankly, am starting to despise for his ball-hawking). Check.

What's missing?

=Z=

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

D-Line: 3 Pro Bowlers and 2 5-sack 2nd-year men on the other side in Ray Edwards and Brian Robison. Check.

LBs: A real stud who led the team in tackles in EJ Henderson, a young gun in Chad Greenway who improved every game last season and an established veteran in Ben Leber. Check.

CBs: The best-tackling CB in the league in Antoine Winfield, plus Ced Griffin, Marcus McCauley and Charles Gordon. Check.

Safeties: Madieu Williams - known for being a cover Safety added, Dwight Smith subtracted, what some pundits described as the best safety in the draft stolen in the 2nd round + Darren Sharper (a player who I, quite frankly, am starting to despise for his ball-hawking). Check.

What's missing?

=Z=

coaching

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Zombieslayer said:

What's missing?

coaching

Karl Dunbar is a great D-Line coach and Leslie Frazier was a hot off-season head coach candidate.

Yeah - I can see why you'd think coaching was missing.

Oh - right - everyone here thinks Childress is an idiot.

=Z=

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Zeus said:
Zombieslayer said:

What's missing?

coaching

Karl Dunbar is a great D-Line coach and Leslie Frazier was a hot off-season head coach candidate.

Yeah - I can see why you'd think coaching was missing.

Oh - right - everyone here thinks Childress is an idiot.

=Z=

I sure do.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think that is a fair post. I personally think that our D will be better, and I would expect you to think that your D will. That is what makes us fans. We won't know for sure until the season rolls around.

I personally think that Green Bay's defense is underrated because all of the attention was put on Fav-re and the offense. It actually is a pretty good unit. Likewise, I think the Vikings D is underrated because everybody looks at one stat - the passing yards - as assumes that they are Lion-esque.

Damnit I am excited for football season to get here. Is it September 8th yet?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is a fair post. I personally think that our D will be better, and I would expect you to think that your D will. That is what makes us fans. We won't know for sure until the season rolls around.

I personally think that Green Bay's defense is underrated because all of the attention was put on Fav-re and the offense. It actually is a pretty good unit. Likewise, I think the Vikings D is underrated because everybody looks at one stat - the passing yards - as assumes that they are Lion-esque.

No. It's May 15th.

And we'll be rehashing the same points over and over ad nauseum until then. :lol:

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:

No. It's May 15th.

And we'll be rehashing the same points over and over ad nauseum until then. :lol:

Oh - I'm sure you Packer Backers can come with new inane points to rehash over and over between now and then!

=Z=

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
NodakPaul said:

No. It's May 15th.

Oh - I'm sure you Packer Backers can come with new inane points to rehash over and over between now and then!

=Z=

Thanks?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
NodakPaul said:

No. It's May 15th.

=Z=
Oh yeah.......like there are so many "high quality" posts on PPO. :roll:
All there is there is a high number of posts..........if quantity over quality is what you want, thats the place to go! :wink:

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
cheesey said:
arrowgargantuan said:
fans will be fans.

we have packer fans that predict 16-0...every year. (Obi1)

i just hope Tavaris keeps sucking. it's really hard to be competitive without a decent QB. thats pretty much the NFL law.
I guess that makes the Bears "law breakers" 2 years ago! :lol:
They made it to the SB DESPITE their QB "Wrecks".

yeah there are always exceptions...Dilfer, Williams, Eli Manning ;)
True....how VERY true.
It's sad that Dilfer has as many super bowl rings as Brett Favre.
It just doesn't seem right.

We all have the same amount of SB rings as the whole vikings franchise. Does that seem right?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
arrowgargantuan said:
cheesey said:
arrowgargantuan said:
fans will be fans.

we have packer fans that predict 16-0...every year. (Obi1)

i just hope Tavaris keeps sucking. it's really hard to be competitive without a decent QB. thats pretty much the NFL law.
I guess that makes the Bears "law breakers" 2 years ago! :lol:
They made it to the SB DESPITE their QB "Wrecks".

yeah there are always exceptions...Dilfer, Williams, Eli Manning ;)
True....how VERY true.
It's sad that Dilfer has as many super bowl rings as Brett Favre.
It just doesn't seem right.

We all have the same amount of SB rings as the whole vikings franchise. Does that seem right?
Actually......that DOES seem right!!! :wink: :lol:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I sure do.

Think what you want. I am having a hard time finding flaws in the defensive coaching though...

really? you and zeus cant find anything wrong with the defensive coaching???

because 8 times out of 16 games last year your defense gave up more points than your offense scored. thats a problem. but Jared Allen is gonna fix everything! Just like hutch was gonna fix everything last year and Darren Sharper the year before that and the year before that and the year before that.

sorry its just hard for me to understand... see cause i deal in reality.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I sure do.

Think what you want. I am having a hard time finding flaws in the defensive coaching though...

Nodak - I have to disagree here.

Your D, although very talented, has given up its share of points. I think certain teams figure out how to exploit weaknesses against you guys. MM did. We managed to score 23, then 34 points. I think the other team that had an easy time against your D were the Redskins, but I'll have to look it up. My memory's not that good.

Maybe with a beefed up DL, it won't be as much of a problem next year. We'll see though.

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now lets look at how the division rolled when it became the NFC North from the Central...
The Packers: 4 NFC North Champions
The Vikings: 0 NFC North Champions

All of those years since the NFC North was founded, the Vikings have not done anything. Now you cannot assume that 1 player will change the whole season for you which is why the Packers took the crown the most out of any NFC North team. The Packers do not need to have the "best player" in 1 position to win games. We have a bunch of players that just do their job. You cannot point out 1 glaring weakness in our team, just some areas we need to work on. Individually our players will not awe you with the biggest flash but we are consistant unlike the Vikings. The Falcons had Michael Vick, they cant win a superbowl, the Vikings have AD but they cant win a superbowl. Both of these players have an immense ammount of talent but for both teams, nothing will happen unless they build depth and youth to their positions. The Vikings are 1 dimensional on offense and defense which is why they will not break .500 in my opinion. AD is the Vikings' major and only weapon. With T-Jack at QB there is only a prayer that he will be able to complete passes. Yes the Viking's have a better DE and RB but 2 positions will not come close to the depth of the Packers. Go ahead vikings fans, you have the best team now until the regular season then it all goes to **** just like every other sad pathetic season.

Members online

Latest posts