Vikings will win the Division

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Vikings have a good football squad, but I see tomorrow’s game as a major hurdle in competing for the Division win. That would likely put them going on the road wildcard weekend
GB having a 3-0 division record vs the Vikings starting 1-2 inside the NFC North puts them at a strategic and statistical disadvantage. They need to pass GB to secure the division, which likely means winning out 4-0 if they don’t win Monday night in Seattle.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EVEN if we lose @ Minnesota week 16 we still can win the division if we win the other 3 games (vs WAS, vs CHI, and @ DET). This is because we would have the better record in division than Minnesota since they lost to Chicago in Week 3.

Unfortunately SEA, NO, and SF seem to own all the tiebreakers on us.

This sounds very weird but in order for us to get a 1st round bye, a Seattle loss tomorrow to the Viqueens is our best way. Obviously winning out is basically a must, including @ MIN week 16.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Seattle loses tomorrow night and the season ended, who would own the tie breaker between the Packers and Seahawks? That tie breaker could be something to watch the rest of the season.

I have been going back and forth on who I want to win tomorrow nights Viking-Seahawks game. Hard to ever want to pull for the Vikings to win and equally as hard for me to want to see the Seahawks ever win. However, if the Seahawks win that puts them one full game ahead of the Packers. Which means, if both teams win out and met in the playoffs, the Seahawks would host a Packer-Seahawk match up. I do not want to go on the road to Seattle. If the Seahawks lose tomorrow, they are tied with Green Bay and the Vikings at 9-3.

Also, if the Vikings win tomorrow night, the Packer hold their own destiny over the Vikings, win out and you stay ahead of the Vikings. It won't be easy going up to Minneapolis and getting a victory, but sweeping the Vikings and potentially passing the SeaTurkeys is an appealing scenario to me. The Vikings winning tomorrow night might help that scenario to happen.

Saints and 49'ers go head to head next weekend and the 49'ers still have games with the Rams and Seahawks, so I can see a scenario where the Packers are the #2 seed behind the Saints.

Just Win Baby.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EVEN if we lose @ Minnesota week 16 we still can win the division if we win the other 3 games (vs WAS, vs CHI, and @ DET). This is because we would have the better record in division than Minnesota since they lost to Chicago in Week 3.

Unfortunately SEA, NO, and SF seem to own all the tiebreakers on us.

This sounds very weird but in order for us to get a 1st round bye, a Seattle loss tomorrow to the Viqueens is our best way. Obviously winning out is basically a must, including @ MIN week 16.

Not really. If the Saints lose to the 49ers we'd be in pretty good shape with a better conference record.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. If the Saints lose to the 49ers we'd be in pretty good shape with a better conference record.

It still says Saints own tiebreaker on playoff machine, even if Seattle and San Fran don't have the same record as us (shrug emoji)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which playoff machine are you using? If the Saints lose to the 49ers on Sunday and we both win out from there we are getting a bye as long as 3 way tiebreakers don't get involved, which would complicate things.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Were you simulating a AFC loss for the Saints?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Saints lose and we win out, we get the bye. If Saints lose and we lost to Vikings, we play them again in first playoff match.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll definitely be rooting for the 49ers to beat the Saints next week to make it a possibility. It's the only realistic chance I can see left of us getting a bye.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which playoff machine are you using? If the Saints lose to the 49ers on Sunday and we both win out from there we are getting a bye as long as 3 way tiebreakers don't get involved, which would complicate things.

Were you simulating a AFC loss for the Saints?

I picked us to lose to Minny then I created a scenario all of us would have 12-4 records and we'd be behind NO, SEA, and SF. The tiebreaker in your case would work fine.

Reaction score
What’s crazy is this: there’s also a scenario where an 11-5 team misses the NFC playoff cutoff.

To a degree. Tonight is a Win-Win for GB.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm...just thought of something, what if the Queens and Hags tie tonight. :cautious:

Something to chew on.

IMO wouldn't be a great outcome. We already control most tiebreaker scenarios against Minnesota so a tie kind of nullifies that advantage.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO wouldn't be a great outcome. We already control most tiebreaker scenarios against Minnesota so a tie kind of nullifies that advantage.

Well this is why a Viking win might be the better outcome. While our records are tied, we still control our own destiny with the Vikings and that ties us (record wise) with the Sea Turkeys. Not saying its a "must do", but if the Packers really are a contending team, they should be able to go up to Minnesota on 12/23 and take care of business and in the process, hopefully further distancing themselves. We don't get that crack at the SeaHags and if we do, it won't be until the Playoffs and SeaBird is much better served up frozen than wet and soaked in coffee.

Reaction score
hmmm...just thought of something, what if the Queens and Hags tie tonight. :cautious:

Something to chew on.
Seattle .792
GB .750
MN .708

for starters they both drop just a fraction (no immediate impact)

Then, if GB wins out and the Vikings and Seahawks both win 3 out of 4.
GB .813
Seattle .781
MN .719

If all of us go 3 out of final 4:
Seattle .781
GB .750
MN . 719

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If all of us go 3 out of final 4:
Seattle .781
GB .750
MN . 719

That is the scenario that I like the least. Forget I mentioned a tie. Well, I mean, its fine to be ahead of the Vikings, but I want to get ahead of or at worst tied with Seattle. :D

While the SeaUrchins do still have 2 tough games @ Rams and home against the 49'ers, I think a loss tonight gives the Packers much better control of their own destiny.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is the scenario that I like the least. Forget I mentioned a tie. Well, I mean, its fine to be ahead of the Vikings, but I want to get ahead of or at worst tied with Seattle. :D

While the SeaUrchins do still have 2 tough games @ Rams and home against the 49'ers, I think a loss tonight gives the Packers much better control of their own destiny.
Oh Absolutely. Then if We can win out and Seattle loses 1 more, we’re officially ahead of both teams and as a #3 seed
The Saints and 49ers play this week so one of them drops to 10-3 tied with GB, but them holding the
tie-breaker.
Last 4 contests the
Saints finish with teams with a .549 opponent win rate teams
49ers finish “ “ “ .617 opponent win rate
Packers finish “ “ “ ..456 win rate teams
Hawks finish “ “ .521 win rate teams

Anything goes. But like you said, it’s not inconceivable to grab a #2 seed if one or the other skips a beat.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like when you all figure out who I should cheer for. It'll make it easier to watch the game tonight with my wife and daughter (Vikings fans) when I can mostly sincerely cheer for Minnesota to win. Special thanks to the Nor'easter that canceled my flight to Newark tonight during the game. Now I can watch it and fly out there tomorrow.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I do understand your point, I will be rooting for the Vikings to lose. I am still of the opinion that winning the division should be the first goal. A Viking Loss tonight certainly doesn’t hurt that goal.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do understand your point, I will be rooting for the Vikings to lose. I am still of the opinion that winning the division should be the first goal. A Viking Loss tonight certainly doesn’t hurt that goal.
I definitely want the Vikings to lose. However, maybe even if they don't, there's some sort of silver lining in the cloud somewhere anyway.

Reaction score
Lost today. They need to beat us and even then....
Amen. It’s essentially like the Vikings are a game and a half behind us now (1 Win plus GB holds Tie Breaker).
If GB wins against the Redskins, the Packers only need to beat the Vikings once more and this division is a wrap (meaning we could lose to both Chicago and Detroit and still be a #3 seed (Dallas likely being #4).
If GB wins against the Redskins, we also could wrap up the division winning 2 of the final 3 games and that’s even worse case scenario (if the Vikings Win out)
Not that I want that to happen, but the point being our path just got much clearer.
As a #3 we’d play the #6 seed at Lambeau. (Possibly Rams or Vikings)

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this thing is clinched after week 16 and we know we can't get 1st round bye week 17 may be a rest the starters type of game. Zero threat of the NFC East 4 seed catching us anyway.

Still wanted to see Vikes win tonight, 1st round bye is over unless 2 of 3 between NO, SF, or SEA collapse the next 4 weeks.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idgaf about this dumb we'll get a top seed nonsense.

The purple frauds lose and im loving it!!!! Eat it you Minny haha fair weather fraud fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts