Vikings Team Report

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/ci_10301461?s ... ost_viewed

Injured Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson said he is day to day and is not sure if he will play Thursday at Dallas in the exhibition finale.

Jackson said after Monday's practice at Winter Park he's confident that even if he doesn't play, he will be ready for the season opener at Green Bay. He participated in individual drills Monday but was held out of team activities.

"It's not really sore," said Jackson of his right knee, which he sprained Aug. 16 at Baltimore. "I just don't have my (full) range of motion right now."

Jackson said he was able to do more Monday than since he was first injured, but he is being cautious to avoid a setback. He did not play Saturday night against Pittsburgh.

Asked if he would be ready for the Sept. 8 opener on "Monday Night Football," Jackson said: "Oh yeah. Normally, you want to play those games like Saturday night and Thursday (at Dallas), but if I don't, I feel like I'll still be ready."

Wide receiver Sidney Rice believes Jackson looks good.

"He's our No. 1 guy, he went down, it set us back here a little bit, but he's back out here on the practice field getting his reps in with the receivers, just doing the tremendous job that he does," Rice said.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said Jackson "did a little bit more today" in practice.

"He went through even more than individual drills; he checked off there seven on seven, so he's progressing," Bevell said.

Rice returns: Rice, who also

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
missed the game against the Steelers and was out all last week with a stomach virus, said he's healthy but needs to get his conditioning back. He took a few extra wind sprints after practice because of that.
"I'm fine now. I'm just a little winded," he said.

Rice said he's good to go if he's called on against the Cowboys, and he will be equally set for the game against the Packers if he's held out.

Also back at practice was wide receiver Bernard Berrian, who sat out the Steelers game and the exhibition against the Ravens a week earlier because of turf toe. Berrian said he's working through the soreness.

Bevell was delighted to see Rice and Berrian practicing.

"They looked good today," Bevell said. "We were able to have the full crew out there today; it's nice to get them working together."

Four cut: The Vikings released offensive tackles Sean Dumford and Brock Pasteur, receiver Daniel Davis and linebacker Derrick Pope. Pope, picked up during the offseason to add depth, didn't impress more than the younger linebackers, defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said.

"We felt with the young guys that we do have, that they're really coming along, and we really wanted to take a better look at them this next ballgame," Frazier said.

Pope, 26, played his first four seasons for Miami.

"It gives Derrick a chance maybe to catch on with another team and maybe get some playing time with another team. But we felt, with the young guys that we have, we're going to get the answers that we need in the backup roles."

Passing a worry: With Jackson sidelined, the Vikings didn't exactly look great against the Steelers, Bevell said, and will need to improve Thursday.

"Obviously our pass game is our main concern," he said. "Then there are certain types of run schemes that we're trying to work on. Not particularly trying to show everything, but just trying to have consistent play and move the ball well."

Bevell said the Vikings "didn't have good tempo, we didn't have good rhythm" at the outset against Pittsburgh. "Any time you have three penalties on the first drive, that's a bad situation. So that's something we need to rectify, and something we will get rectified."

Bevell said he's not worried about Adrian Peterson being limited to 21 yards rushing by the Steelers and said Peterson didn't seem overly frustrated.

"Adrian is a very competitive guy," Bevell said. "He wants every run to go for what's left. He would have it that way, but that's just not going to happen.

"He can't get frustrated. He's got to make sure he continues to read out each play, because he's not going to make a big play by himself; it's going to be 10 guys who help him do that. So as long as he stays with the schemes, he'll end up being fine."

Briefly: Frazier on rookie linebacker Erin Henderson: "Above expectations. It's hard for a free agent to make your ballclub. He's fighting for a roster spot, and this next ballgame will determine whether or not he gets that roster spot. But he's really performed at a high level for a guy who comes in as a free agent.:

Safety Madieu Williams is expected back from the pinched nerve in his neck within three to four weeks.

Bevell said wide receiver Robert Ferguson, who got kicked near his ankle during the Steelers game, should be fine.
"It's not going to be an issue," Bevell said. "He'll be back; he's a tough guy."

Defensive end Brian Robison returned to practice Monday. He had been out since having surgery Aug. 4 to correct a problem with a varicose vein on his left leg.
Frazier said he expects Robison to play Thursday.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts