Vikings New Stadium

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings to get new stadium

Anoka County and the Vikings jointly announced on Tuesday an agreement on a new $675 million, 68,000-seat retractable roof stadium that will be located in Blaine, Minnesota, which is approximately 15 minutes north of Minneapolis and St. Paul just off of I-35W.

The Vikings currently play in the Metrodome in Minneapolis, but have been trying to get a new stadium for a number of years and have gone as far as threatening to leave the state if a new stadium wasn't built.

The new complex will be publicly owned and the Vikings are expected to pay $280 million of the costs. The county will fund the same amount through a three-quarter percent countywide sales tax. State-issued general obligation bonds are expected to cover the remaining $115 million.

As part of the deal, the club will sign a 30-year lease, with a no-escape clause, and also operate the complex. There is also the option for the club to extend the lease for two 10-year periods. The Vikings will receive the revenue generated, but be responsible to make an annual lease payment to the county. That payment will be determined at a later date and be made to a stadium authority that will be established by the Minnesota Legislature.

"We are taking a bold step toward achieving something very special for Anoka County and the entire state of Minnesota," said Margaret Langfeld, chair, Anoka County Board. "This partnership is one of the most significant development projects in state history, and it will bring unparalleled economic opportunity to Anoka County while taking the legacy of Vikings football to a new level."

The stadium will be the center point of a broader, mixed-use development that is projected to feature retail shops, office buildings, private residences and nature preserves.

There is also an additional $115 million in road improvements that need to be made along I-35W in order to handle the traffic.

"The need already exists for these projects and the state plans to spend the money to do them, but not until 2020 or later," said Steve Novak, manager, Anoka County government services division. "Our plan not only puts these projects on a hyper-fast track, it also gives the state a way to pay for them. That's smart government. Ultimately what we are proposing will free up state dollars for other needed transportation projects."

"This is a plan that works and pays for itself," added Novak. "The people who use this facility and benefit from it being in Anoka County will pay for the facility."

The county and team will seek legislation to authorize the local option sales tax and to establish a special taxing district. Initial estimates suggest that the project will, over time, generate a revenue surplus for the state in excess of $245 million, after paying for the $115 million in on-site and retractable roof costs, as well as the additional $115 million in accelerated roadway costs.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Why would they build it so far from downtown?
Space. There's not a whole lot of space left in downtown Minneapolis. Besides, Hennepin County didn't move fast enough to lure the Vikings into staying here, so they are moving north. Hennepin seems more focused on a Twins stadium than a Vikings one.

Besides, Lambeau Field isn't even in Green Bay - nowhere near downtown. A stadium doesn't have to be built in a downtown area. Gillette Stadium (Patriots) is in the middle of a neighborhood way outside downtown Boston.

TOPackerFan said:
I can't imagine there would be too much traffic on a Sunday though.
You'd be surprised. The Twin Cities isn't a little rural area. ;)

Not that I ever went to Vikings games, but I think it is silly that they are building the stadium on the north side of the metro instead of nicely in the center (like the Metrodump).

Considering most of the states population lives south of Anoka County I would think they'd want to build it no further south than Minneapolis or the Minnesota River. w/e

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
TOPackerFan said:

traffic?

i dont know but it's gonna be sweet, although i still cant find the retractable roof.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
LOL :D Very nice!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
TOPackerFan said:
Space. There's not a whole lot of space left in downtown Minneapolis. Besides, Hennepin County didn't move fast enough to lure the Vikings into staying here, so they are moving north. Hennepin seems more focused on a Twins stadium than a Vikings one.

Besides, Lambeau Field isn't even in Green Bay - nowhere near downtown. A stadium doesn't have to be built in a downtown area. Gillette Stadium (Patriots) is in the middle of a neighborhood way outside downtown Boston.

TOPackerFan said:
I can't imagine there would be too much traffic on a Sunday though.
You'd be surprised. The Twin Cities isn't a little rural area. ;)

Not that I ever went to Vikings games, but I think it is silly that they are building the stadium on the north side of the metro instead of nicely in the center (like the Metrodump).

Considering most of the states population lives south of Anoka County I would think they'd want to build it no further south than Minneapolis or the Minnesota River. w/e
They could have gone the way the Bears did. Play at an alternate site for one season while they replace the Metrodump with the new place. You get the new stadium in a great location and rid the world of the worst stadium in not only the NFL but Major League Baseball as well.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Retractable roof, why?

How many Millions could they have saved by building a stadium that Bud Grant would have loved, that die hard Vike fans would of loved, after all they envy the Packers and the tradition of Packer football.

They could have saved at least 180 million if not more by just building a modern open air stadium.

See... This is why I am a packer fan as well as a Raider fan. Like my friends here on this forum I too am willing to face the wrath of Mother Nature. The cold winter days and nights of Oakland and Los Angeles never kept me away from a game. (Big ole smile.)

Retractable roofs are for skirts.

However... The extra cash to put on the roof will get them a Super Bowl game. That Super Bowl game I am sure was negotiated with the NFL before this new stadium deal was consumated between the Vikes, the local Government, and the NFL.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
They could have gone the way the Bears did. Play at an alternate site for one season while they replace the Metrodump with the new place. You get the new stadium in a great location and rid the world of the worst stadium in not only the NFL but Major League Baseball as well.
The problem is that there is no NFL sized stadium nearby to do that. The nearest one is Lambeau Field or maybe somewhere in North Dakota.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Philtration said:
The problem is that there is no NFL sized stadium nearby to do that. The nearest one is Lambeau Field or maybe somewhere in North Dakota.
You are right. The Bears played in Champaign which is pretty far from the city (140 miles) I personally thought that it would have been nice for them to play one last season at Wrigley Field.
Iowa State University is about 225 miles south of Minneapolis which would make it a 4 to 5 hour drive but can seat only 45,000 fans. They set themselves up for this by putting all of their eggs in one basket with that god awful dome.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabid, I've been to the TC on many occasions so I'm well aware it's not a rural area, but you would think the city of Mpls, or maybe even St. Paul would want the economic benefit of 70,000 people coming downtown 10 extra times a year.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The anoka co. site is about 15 min from downtown, so its not that far away. They will also run the new light rail out there from the south end of town and a north star rail from up north. Ziggi plans on building a large shopping and condo complex around it and he wanted an out door stadium but gave in to pressure for a retractable roof so it could be used for many different things. Still need to get public money so its not a done deal yet.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
The anoka co. site is about 15 min from downtown, so its not that far away. They will also run the new light rail out there from the south end of town and a north star rail from up north. Ziggi plans on building a large shopping and condo complex around it and he wanted an out door stadium but gave in to pressure for a retractable roof so it could be used for many different things. Still need to get public money so its not a done deal yet.

Is that the Hiawatha Line? This makes a little more sense to me now.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
vikefan said:

Is that the Hiawatha Line? This makes a little more sense to me now.
You are correct, sir.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
rabid, I've been to the TC on many occasions so I'm well aware it's not a rural area, but you would think the city of Mpls, or maybe even St. Paul would want the economic benefit of 70,000 people coming downtown 10 extra times a year.
Maybe so, but if you don't have the space, you don't have the space. Once hockey gets going again St. Paul will be fine and Minneapolis still has the possible new Twins stadium and the Target Center.

On a side note - while Blaine may only be 15 mins. away (on a good traffic day) it sure feels a lot farther than that.

V

Vikeman

As long as Culpepper can just throw one td in it I could care less about the new stadium. Our history was destroyed as soon as we moved out of the Met.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that deal is dead.

There are no plans or architectural drawings of any proposed stadium. There is no financing plan.

It will take a lot of time for them to get organized. They don't know how much they have to spend, how much they need, or even a site to build upon. It will take years before a stadium is built.

That franchise is the one that generates the lowest revenue and will be subsidized by the high revenue teams including the Packers again.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

hahahaha...sorry...just had to laugh when I read this about an "NFL sized stadium" and North Dakota in the same sentence. It's a pipe dream but it was good while it lasted! :rotflmao:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
New location announced... fitting.. they can take a cruise before the games ... the bunch of inmates :rotflmao:

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rabidgohper04 posted : "Besides, Lambeau Field isn't even in Green Bay - nowhere near downtown. A stadium doesn't have to be built in a downtown area. Gillette Stadium (Patriots) is in the middle of a neighborhood way outside downtown Boston."

Actually, Lambeau Field is located in the City of Green Bay. In 1956, the City of Green Bay purchsed the land which was used to locate new City Stadium ( now called Lambeau Field) and it's parking lot, plus Packer practice fields. The land was annexed to the City of Green Bay. . The land was originally part of town (now the Village)of Ashwaubenon & land was right on the border of the two communities.

Green _Bay_Packer posted
Most grounds dont use Grass anymore its all artifical

The new playing surface just installed at Lambeau Field after the '06 season was over , It is no longer a totally a grass field. It is high tech type of surface which is a combination of grass and some artificial products in it. It is same playing surface that was installed two years ago at Packer 's Clarke Hinkle practice field, in front of the Don Hutson Center .

The Packers are really impressed with it and is not as expensive to maintain, as grass field and holds up better than the grass field .There are a number of other NFL Stadiums who have the same playing surface.

It has great draining capabilities for keeping the field in good playing condiition during a rain storm. .

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts