Vikings - Holmgren vs Sherman

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Oct. 20, 2005
Notebook: Sherman makes noise at practice

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Mike Sherman’s 3-2 record at the Metrodome is much better than that of Mike Holmgren, who went 1-6 there.

Sherman, like Holmgren, has the Packers’ offense practice with piped-in crowd noise whenever they play at Minnesota and is doing so again this week for the team’s game against the Vikings. That forces the offense to function with silent counts, as it will have to on game day.

Sherman also occasionally pipes in the crowd noise at other times of the year, which Holmgren didn’t.

“That stadium is very, very loud,â€

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Posted Oct. 20, 2005
Notebook: Sherman makes noise at practice

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Mike Sherman’s 3-2 record at the Metrodome is much better than that of Mike Holmgren, who went 1-6 there.

Sherman, like Holmgren, has the Packers’ offense practice with piped-in crowd noise whenever they play at Minnesota and is doing so again this week for the team’s game against the Vikings. That forces the offense to function with silent counts, as it will have to on game day.

Sherman also occasionally pipes in the crowd noise at other times of the year, which Holmgren didn’t.

“That stadium is very, very loud,â€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey chicky..chicky..

What did i ever do to you?

Where's the love...?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably my favorite packer victory was in 2003, that game swung the momentum of the division, and though it took until the last seconds of the regular season for the packers to win, that game was huge

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Not sure what reminded me of this or why.

Didn't the Vikings have a carpet during the Holmgren days and grass during the Sherman days? I know they switched, but not sure of the year.

I think the top of the dome was irrelevent. I think its more the surface that plagued the Packers during the the icky Viking > Packer days.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they don't have grass... it's field turf, i think that's what it's called. it's fake but a lot more like grass than astroturf. still burns when you get tackled on it though.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
they don't have grass... it's field turf, i think that's what it's called. it's fake but a lot more like grass than astroturf. still burns when you get tackled on it though.

Where I was going with it was its very similar to what is used at Lambeau.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
bozz_2006 said:

No, it isn't!
Lambeaus field is REAL grass.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Shermans record in the Metrodome might very well be the reason we began losing at home. Sherman was obsessed with speed, which is good if we play in a dome, but most games aren't played in a dome, and our homegames are played at Lambeau where we have harsh conditions and speed is negated.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/200 ... raft_nav=1

Lambeau Field Quick Hits:

Surface size: 87,000 square feet.

Field layers: The Kentucky bluegrass surface grows on top of a 3-5 inch soil foundation, which is plugged with sand-filled holes. Beneath the soil base is 8 inches of USGA (United States Golf Association) sand, known for its stability and drainage. Beneath that is a heating pipe network above a 4-inch base of pea gravel and a drainage blanket.

'
~~~ side note I thought they had was was called sports grass or field turf....Last year, the Packers installed FieldTurf on Ray Nitschke Field, the same surface that's inside the Don Hutson Center. FieldTurf feels somewhat like grass but is completely artificial.( this is from an aug 2005 jsonline article http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=345733)
~~~

Metrodome

2004, the sports commission had a newer artificial surface, called FieldTurf, installed in the dome.. FieldTurf is thought to be a closer approximation to natural grass than Astroturf in its softness, appearance, and feel.

http://www.ezilon.com/information/article_1038.shtml

Metrodome turf ranked third worst in NFL
By AP
Feb 4, 2005, 21:29

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The Metrodome turf is ranked third-worst in the NFL in a players' survey.

The survey of about 1,500 players pegged the RCA Dome in Indy as the worst field among the 31 stadiums in the league. That was followed by two other domed stadiums, Edward Jones in St. Louis and the Metrodome.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, I remember this game. It's where it became official that Sherman's play calling was uber predictable.

3rd and 21 I believe it was, and I call into the kitchen where my g/f is, and I ask "it's 3rd and 21, what play is going to be called?". She responds with "3rd and 21?, probably a rush up the middle or a screen pass for 5 yards". Viola, a rush up the middle is called, gaining 5 yards...4th and 16, PUNT. Yep, some chick bakin' cookies knew what was coming, hard to believe that opposing defenses didn't.

Although, to Sherman's credit we had already lost J-Hole, and I think it's officially where we lost Green for the season, and Fergie was injured in that game as well.

The One question I do have about that game is this...we were up 17-0 in the first half, whose fault is it that the defense was "called off", Shermy's or Bates'? Not that it matters now, I'd just like to know.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
Mike Shermans record in the Metrodome might very well be the reason we began losing at home. Sherman was obsessed with speed, which is good if we play in a dome, but most games aren't played in a dome, and our homegames are played at Lambeau where we have harsh conditions and speed is negated.

Having a top or no top of the area they played was irrelevent. I believe it was the field.

Or are you thinking we drafted/signed a bunch of claustorphobic players?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No comparison. Holmgrem one the biggest game you can win in a dome. Sherman never even flirted with getting there. Holmgrem is a HOF potential coach. Sherman isn't.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
bozz_2006 said:

No, it isn't!

Are you sure its real grass?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Zero2Cool said:
bozz_2006 said:

No, it isn't!

Are you sure its real grass?
It was 100% real grass until they started tearing it up after the 2006 season ended.
The field they are installing now will be a combination of real grass with artificial grass woven into it. Not sure what it's called but it's the same thing they installed on their practice field a few years ago.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It was 100% real grass until they started tearing it up after the 2006 season ended.
The field they are installing now will be a combination of real grass with artificial grass woven into it. Not sure what it's called but it's the same thing they installed on their practice field a few years ago.

Early 2000ish they removed the real grass in favor of some turf crap. Hasn't been 'real' grass in nearly half a decade. Atleast, thats all I'm finding. Wish they'd bring back the real grass though.

Members online

Latest posts