Vikings Draft

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings made the biggest splash last night with 3 selections. They lucked out in getting Floyd and wisely chose Rhodes. But then, the curious move - trading a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round selection to move back into the 1st for Cordarelle Patterson. Here is our take on the move for what it's worth: http://wp.me/p29VCs-hH

My take: that seems like an awful lot of value to give up for a WR. I know a lot of people rated him highly, but he can't run routes and played one-year of D1 football. And this is a decent WR class in the second-third round.

On the flip-side, they still have several picks remaining in the later rounds and, apparently, came out on top using Jimmy Johnson's outdated trade chart.

What do you guys think? Most people here in Vikings country love the draft - as most fans would after 3 first-rounders. But, I really think this move was a little too aggressive.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Floyd and Rhodes = yes, good to go, even if only one of them pans out

Patterson = No, lack of serious experience and poor route running + having a turd in ponder tossing him the ball....no thanks. That was a DUMB move to give up so much for so little.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Barnwell from grantland.com has the statistical data to support what I said above to a much better extent:

Minnesota acquires the 29th overall pick from New England for the 52nd, 83rd, 102nd, and 229th picks.
Quantitative winner: New England (59.5 percent more in return)
Real-life winner: New England
Note the dramatic gulf between what Stuart's model thought of the difference in value across the first four trades and what it thought of this one. The Patriots, simply put, took the Vikings to the cleaners. It's incredible that Bill Belichick seems to pull this off every year, but it's even more impressive in this draft. Chase's model estimates, historically, that the 29th overall pick has delivered about 40 percent more value than the 52nd overall pick during their first five seasons in the league. That's really not that much, and in a flat draft like this year's, it's undoubtedly a smaller figure, probably closer to 10 percent or so. For that tiny chance of getting a better player, the Vikings gave up third- and fourth-round picks that could end up producing valuable contributors. In 2007, the 83rd pick delivered Charles Johnson, who became a double-digit pass rusher and one of the highest-paid players in football. The 102nd pick that year was Brian Robison, who himself has 30 sacks over six years in the league. The Patriots aren't getting worthless picks here.
The Vikings made this move to get Cordarrelle Patterson, which seems shortsighted considering the bevy of second-tier wideouts still left on the market. They could have waited through the end of the first round and the top of the second round, where few teams need wideouts, before pouncing in the middle of the second round. That might only have cost them a fifth-round pick or so. In any case, it took what had been an excellent Vikings draft and ruined their night. And while it might not have been the most exciting return for Patriots fans, it was very clearly the right move to make.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings were silly to trade away all those draft picks for Cordarelle Patterson, but you can't argue with Shariff Floyd and Xavier Rhodes. Those 2 guys have made this a good draft for the Vikings. If they'd have kept those picks Vikings could have had hands down the best draft of any team. I think they panicked losing Percy Harvin rather than being patient and getting a solid WR in the 2nd round.

But the Vikings got better, and they'll be the team to challenge GB in the NFC North. I don't see Chicago or Detroit coming anywhere close. Vikings are clearly the 2nd best team in the NFC North IMO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Xavier pick. I thought all along that Floyd would be a bust. Its funny, now that he dropped, he may have a chip on his shoulder and he may actually help him succeed.

I agree with Osh on Patterson. It was way to much to pay for a guy who isn't a very good receiver. He will take a few years to develop and maybe they hope he can provide some excitement on an occasional play in the meantime.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they had an outstanding first round. Picking up two guy's that many projected to go in the top 15 isn't bad at all. Lot's of hate on Patterson but who cares he's raw? the guy is a game changer and can make plays. If the Queens had a qb i believe we would be in trouble. Just my opinion tho.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they had an outstanding first round. Picking up two guy's that many projected to go in the top 15 isn't bad at all. Lot's of hate on Patterson but who cares he's raw? the guy is a game changer and can make plays. If the Queens had a qb i believe we would be in trouble. Just my opinion tho.

Cordarrelle Patterson: 6'2", 216 lbs, 4.33 40-yard dash, 37" vertical, 10'6" broad jump - 1-year of D1 play
Charles Johnson: 6'2", 215 lbs, 4.38 40-yard dash, 39-1/2" vertical, 11'-1" broad jump

There's a reason Johnson went in the 7th - off-field issues and lesser competition. But, since Patterson can't run routes, he's pure athlete. And, as you can see, Johnson's athletic talents are equal. So, both are raw projects. One went in the first, costing the Vikes multiple picks, and one went in the 7th. Vikes' progress will be hurt - a lot - if Patterson doesn't pan out. If Johnson doesn't pan out, it doesn't cost the Packers anything.

Oh yeah, we also have a QB that can make Johnson better.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cordarrelle Patterson: 6'2", 216 lbs, 4.33 40-yard dash, 37" vertical, 10'6" broad jump - 1-year of D1 play
Charles Johnson: 6'2", 215 lbs, 4.38 40-yard dash, 39-1/2" vertical, 11'-1" broad jump

There's a reason Johnson went in the 7th - off-field issues and lesser competition. But, since Patterson can't run routes, he's pure athlete. And, as you can see, Johnson's athletic talents are equal. So, both are raw projects. One went in the first, costing the Vikes multiple picks, and one went in the 7th. Vikes' progress will be hurt - a lot - if Patterson doesn't pan out. If Johnson doesn't pan out, it doesn't cost the Packers anything.

I really like Johnsons physical tools. Reminds me of a younger Andre Johnson.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The thing on Cordarrelle is that he is a terrible football player. He is incredibly athletic, and makes up for his poor technique and understanding of football by athleticism. That isn't going to help him as much in the pros. Personally, I think him likely to bust.

As far as character concerns with Johnson, they found a stolen laptop in his dorm room. Neither he nor his roommate confessed or ratted out the other. Did he steal it? Was he being a faithful friend? Both were expelled, however, Johnson was re-admitted later.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts