Vikings add Dom Capers as senior defensive assistant

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without a doubt.

Micah Hyde and Haywood both left as free agents and became all pro level players. And at a time when we we had a need for DBs.
I don't think either are really all that different than they were here. Hayward is just less injured in the sunny CA sun than here and he wasn't in his first 3 years, experience does help. and Hyde too. I think he's almost exactly the same player in a slightly different role and outside of a really fast start for the Bills, he's been largely what he was in GB.

it was time for Dom to go, but for anyone fooling themselves into thinking he doesn't know defensive football, 2 teams currently regarded as having really good defenses in this league today have saw fit to bring him on board.

Now if he has to play in NFCCG's in MN without a couple starting linebackers, lose some DB's and safeties in the game, miss a Dlineman or 2 etc, they'll likely have the same results. and speaking of Hyde in that 2013 playoffs against the 49ers, the then rookie dropped an INT with a chance to return it for the go ahead TD in a 20-20 tie with around 4 minutes left in the game. Even if he hadn't scored, we were practically in go ahead FG range right there. Instead he dropped it and the 9ers go down and kick the game winning FG.

In a game we went to battle in with stalwarts like Mike Neal, Andy Mulumba, MD Jennings and Jarrett Bush as starters. We then lost neal and Mulumba too, along with same shields. I'm not sure we even had an OLB left on the field in that game. Every one remembers the defense gave up the winning score, but they don't remember the details of what was out there either. He wasn't all roses that's for sure, but he sure was dealt some **** hands to deal with in crunch time too.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man, roll with it. You know they just want to probe his mind, to try and uncover the secrets of the Packers.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As funny as that is, I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was a little truth to that notion. Strikes me a little odd the Vikes ask a guy whose philosophy runs in the 3-4 scheme to be an assistant to the 4-3 which they run. Wonder if they're going to try to concoct some kind of hybrid defense this year or something.

Reaction score
Capers will be a senior assistant for the Vikings but not run their defense.
It’s possible they just a merged those 2 by accident.
Like this. Don Capers is now a Senior and going to be an Assistant for the Vikings. That got misconstrued into Dom is a Senior, Assistant :laugh:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It’s possible they just a merged those 2 by accident.
Like this. Don Capers is now a Senior and going to be an Assistant for the Vikings. That got misconstrued into Dom is a Senior, Assistant :laugh:

Add to that it was for the TV Show "Vikings"....man the media got it all wrong! :laugh:

H

HardRightEdge

Add to that it was for the TV Show "Vikings"....man the media got it all wrong! :laugh:

Which reminds me, add Bjorn Ironside, son of Ragnar Lothbrok, to the DE prospect list. Good length, not very bright, but plays angry.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers will be a senior assistant for the Vikings but not run their defense.
Yeah I’m not even sure what “senior assistant” means. Guessing he works with the DC on game strategy, player evaluation, that kinda stuff. What surprises me is that a 69 year old guy would want to put himself through the grind of an NFL season and off season. I suppose it gets in your blood and it’s hard to walk away, especially after being fired.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he going to assistant coach from the press box?

When you look at the teams that did well this season, a lot of them had well respected coaches. I wonder how much of our problems in recent years have been simply that we haven't been developing players correctly? Was it just bad drafting, or if some of those same players had been developed under different coaches would have been more successful?
That would make a good thread. And I agree, especially for rookies. Those young guys come in to suddenly find they’re playing the best of the best, every week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I’m not even sure what “senior assistant” means. Guessing he works with the DC on game strategy, player evaluation, that kinda stuff. What surprises me is that a 69 year old guy would want to put himself through the grind of an NFL season and off season. I suppose it gets in your blood and it’s hard to walk away, especially after being fired.

I don't believe Capers will have to put in nearly as much time into his new role with the Vikings as he had to while being a defensive coordinator.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Capers will have to put in nearly as much time into his new role with the Vikings as he had to while being a defensive coordinator.
Yeah that’s a good point. And Zimmer, with his background functions like a DC anyway (as well as HC). Almost the opposite approach in GB, where MLF is the real OC and Hackett provides some support or check.

Staff online

Members online