1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vikes Transition Tag B.Williams

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by Robin Yount, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Robin Yount

Robin Yount Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Vikings placed their transition player tag on cornerback Brian Williams today, giving them the ability to match any offer he might receive on the free agent market.

Williams' contract expires next week and he is eligible for unrestricted free agency. By making him their transition player, the Vikings in essence offered him a one-year, $4.774 million guaranteed contract that he can sign at any time. That figure is the average of the 10 highest paid-cornerbacks in the NFL last season.

But Williams almost certainly will receive heavy interest on the free agent market after he deposed starter Fred Smoot midway through the 2005 season. The Vikings would then be faced with a decision to match any offer sheet Williams signs or allow him to move on. They would receive no compensation if he leaves.

Today is the deadline for NFL teams to place transition or franchise tags on players. The Vikings decided against franchising Williams because it is unlikely any team would agree to give them two first-round picks in order to sign Williams, as they would be required to do under the franchise definition.

Neither Williams nor team officials were immediately available for comment.

(end of article)

Interesting. We will have to pay at least $4.7 million to get him, at least. For that price I can live with our corners. I can think of alot of other areas to spend our cap space.

2. subin

subin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like a lot of money for an average cornerback.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well......HOPEFULLY someone will make him an outrageous offer, and force the Queens to match it!

4. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Who are the other queens FA's and how much cap space do they have?

5. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    They've got about 25 mil to work with but I'm not sure who they have up for free agency tho...

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah......according to what i heard, the Vikes and Packers have the most money to spend.

7. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Could get to be even more with a new CBA agreement....either way, TT put this team in a position to be active and make a huge jump from 4-12 to playoff contention in one year! If Favre retires, it's even more and they can get in the Drew Brees sweepstakes.

Before P@ck66 responds to this, I WANT FAVRE BACK NEXT YEAR! There, I should be covered now...

8. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh but drew brees just tore his throwing shoulder

9. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    ...and they also said he's making a full recovery and should be ready for next season.

10. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe but I wouldnt really read into that until you see him thorwing like him old self

11. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    if we had a rich owner we could pay someone like the raiders to make an outreageous offer to williams :D:D