Vikes going outdoors?

V

Vikeman

Our new owner got on the news today and stated the Vikes will forever be in Minnesota. (I don't think he wants to tangle with the biggest rivalry in football Vikes vs. Pack). He also stated that he wants the Vikes back outdoors. I love it! The Vikes just like the Pack belong outdoors. Although this would sink any hopes of Minnesota getting to host a superbowl again. What do you Pack fans think? Good or bad for the Vikes? Vikings vs. Packers in the Minnesota cold!. Does it get any better then that?

Here's the quote from SI...

"I'm a strong believer in an open venue. From the standpoint of the franchise, I think that it is a good advantage to have some of the other teams come up to our nice, warm Minnesota winters," he said facetiously, "so they can enjoy playing football up where it hurts - a la Green Bay."
[/b][/i]

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this would be good for the packers.... They don't play that good in domes. I also think the vikes have had a advantage in the dome considering it is one of the loudest stadiums to play in for a vistor.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman-I think Mr Wilf received the hard reality news of getting the big money needed for a dome stadium during his discussions with Mn. politicians concerning public financing for a stadium for the Vikes. I think, it will be a tough sell to get any State of Mn. Money from the State of Mn. legislature. Or has there be a change of heart by the Mn. legislature from just a short time ago? The Vikes must have a new stadium that generates added money or Vikes will be in financial trouble in short order. They need the tyoe of year round income generating facility that the Atrium and the improvements at Lambeau provides for the Packers. The Packer have gone up to 10th place in income in N.F.L. from 20th place(and heading down) since the renovating of Lambeau and it's Atrium have been completed. L.A. has been promised a N.F.L. Franchise in five years by the N.F.L. commissioner. Nothing has said by the N.F.L. if it will be a expansion team or a team moved another location. Can this cause problems for the Vikings in Mn. if a Stadium isn't built? It is amazing, that little Green Bay/Brown County have built and renovated a great incoming producing year around facility in metro area of 240,000 people and the voters of Green Bay/Brown County voted for 1/2 % county wide sales tax to fund the renovation and huge Twin Cities refuse to do it and Vikes had to go to the Mn. Legislature. Says something about "The can do attitude of Green Bay/Brown County. "

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell, I don't want a new Vikings stadium. I certainly don't want to pay for it. The Vikings are a private corporation so their building should be paid for with private money. It's that simple if you ask me.

I see no reason why I should have to pay for a new Vikings stadium. (even moreso since I'm not a Vikings fan!)

V

Vikeman

rabidgopher04 said:
Hell, I don't want a new Vikings stadium. I certainly don't want to pay for it. The Vikings are a private corporation so their building should be paid for with private money. It's that simple if you ask me.

I see no reason why I should have to pay for a new Vikings stadium. (even moreso since I'm not a Vikings fan!)

Glad you cleared that up...the suspense was killing me!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman -Rapidgopher comment is not unusal when public financing is mentioned for financing stadiums for professional teams. My question poised in my first posting still stands. Will the mn. legislature approve public funding for the proposed new Vikings stadium? News reports out of Mn. a few months ago indicated much opposition to it. has this changed? A photo of a outdoor stadium, with I took as being rather sarcastic caption under it, in answer to Rapidgopher posting does not answer anything. . If this public financing question is put to a vote in mn. you better be ready to defend your position on it. In Green Bay, we had a referendum on that question. The anti referendum people for renovating Lambeau Field were very effective and organized. Their tantics during the re ferendum campaign were very effective.They almost defeated the referendum. At the beginning support was overwelming 3 to 1. The vote total was 53% to 47%. And that was in Green Bay, where Packer fans think about Packer football 365 days a year, Have a sold out stadium since 1960 and have 62,000 Packer fan season ticket waiting list. Be prepared for much oposition to public financing for public stadium in mn. opposition like rapidgophers . You are going to have to defend your position on it, I had to, everytime it came up in conversations during the referendum campaign for renovation of Lambeau. And the comments from some the people I know, who opposed it were bitter and many time were inaccurate. I tried to be diplomatic about my comments concerning the topic but it was extremely difficult at times. But it passed and that is the main thing. Many have not accepted it and are still bitter about the vote results.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PW -
More than likely, they will go ahead and do it - a good example would be the Colts, here in Indy.

As far as the MetroDome is concerned - the Vikings may actually end up losing even more games, since they won't be able to boost the sound levels at games any longer with an outdoor venue. Oops.. that was supposed to be a secret...Sorry, Vikes. :roll:

Add to that - the MetroDome is also currently considered one of the five WORST venues to play at - that means Playing Field, Locker Rooms, etc.. all of it. Ranked just behind the Colts, as I remember it. They certainly do need a better facility - and it does rank in any city as a MAJOR resource for taxation - it's that way in every Metropolitan area that can afford an NFL Team. I'd say the Vikings will have an easier time of it than the folks in Brown County - think about it - it's the TWIN Cities, for cry iy iy... They have double the resources to work with, outright!

The only thing that sucks is Brett probably won't ever get to play there - it'll probably take at least two years to build the new Stadium - they shouldn't come up with financing until the regular season starts and then breaking ground will have to be when it warms up, not before. So, add to that, another 18 - 24 months to get it built right... Brett's done fer sure by then.

Sorta sad, in some aspects. I would have liked to see Brett play under the Minnesota sky like Tarkenton did.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if they move outside it will be great. More wins for the Packers.. Favre outside in the cold... I love it. The Vikings will have to be in the next phase of "Chunky Soup" commercials so they can keep warm.

Later
Leopardmech

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great! Get football outside where it belongs! I believe that places our entire division outside, assuming this comes true. I absolutely think this is great. Love to watch the fair weather teams with their fair weather fans come up "nort". Rain,yeah. Snow, yeah. Mud, yeah. Yahoo. Start building. Get'er done! :joy: :towel: :beer:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:

"I'm a strong believer in an open venue. From the standpoint of the franchise, I think that it is a good advantage to have some of the other teams come up to our nice, warm Minnesota winters," he said facetiously, "so they can enjoy playing football up where it hurts - a la Green Bay."
[/b][/i]

Well woohoo - let's all sing Koombaya... They want to be like GREEN BAY!

They should go back to the drawing board and start over, first with learning how to be DIEHARD fans.. no matter what....
Course, bringing back Fran Tarkenton football can't hurt! Don't know if it'll do 'em any good, but it can't hurt!

<center>GO PACK GO ! ! !</center>

V

Vikeman

IPBprez said:
Vikeman said:

[/b][/i]

Well woohoo - let's all sing Koombaya... They want to be like GREEN BAY!

They should go back to the drawing board and start over, first with learning how to be DIEHARD fans.. no matter what....
Course, bringing back Fran Tarkenton football can't hurt! Don't know if it'll do 'em any good, but it can't hurt!

<center>GO PACK GO ! ! !</center>

Cmon man, diehard fans? Let me advise you of something...there is nothing on earth harder then being a Vikings fan. Nothing! With everything this team has gone through it takes alot of patience and loyalty. It's not like being a Green Bay fan where even if your team sucks in the present you can dwell in the past. The Vikings have none. Every nfl stadium I've been to (13 of them) to watch the Vikes play the seats are always flodded with purple...no matter what their record. Be a little more accurate then that. Don't be like my Green Bay Packer fan buddy who every year come playoff time he dusts off his Sterling Sharpe jersey and still thinks your head coach is Linde Infante.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now - that didn't take too awful long...

And, how quickly other fans forget the years of struggle Packer fans have had to live with... Going 30 years between SuperBowls isn't exactly a cake walk or a pleasant afternoon boat ride on a nice lake somewhere... Not to mention the not so insightful "***********" comments we hear from the less intelligent football fan... (We secretly know they're closet gay, btw)

Personally, Vikeman, I think it'd be the best thing in the World, for the Minnesota Team to jump start the new Century with a better Stadium... at least ***** one like the Texans have and what the Colts are going to build... It would be the best of both worlds when it comes to holding a SuperBowl game in your City. Agreed?

As long as Revenue Sharing is the order of the day - then eventually, we should see Milwaukee grow large enough to support the proper number of Hotels, which would then allow "the best place in football" to hold its own SuperBowl.... Course, I don't see why GB doesn't use the same tactic that Jacksonville just used..... only with less ripoffs on the Cruise Liners..... but I'm not in charge of making that happen - all I can do is try to setup a successful tailgate party here in Indy -- Oh, wait, I already did that last year...! :D

I see no reason why the Vikings can't have an open-air Stadium... other than all the crying you'll hear about havin' to sit outside by the local yokels.. that is! You guys are bigtime spoiled with having a roof - like the Colts fans here.... only not as bad! I'll give ya that - at least ya know how to ice-fish!

The biggest reason your Team can't seem to win anything is because of one thing.....
THEY CAN'T STAY FOCUSED ON THE BRASS RING!

Tarkenton sure tried.... I'll give him that - I was a youngster when they choked at the end... in the open air... He sat on his helmet and cried like a baby.. He cared that much! Then they clamped the lid on the field and no fresh air has hit the place since....

And, btw - isn't Dan Devine still our HC?
Those god-awful Seventies

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
I don't think he wants to tangle with the biggest rivalry in football Vikes vs. Pack.

The biggest rivalry in football would be the Bears and the Pack, but the Vikes/Pack rivalry does rank up there for more than a few people.

BTW: For all you Bears and Packers fans, check out "Mudbaths and Bloodbaths: The Inside Story of the Bears/Packers Rivalry" by Gary D'Amato. Awesome reading for fans of both teams!

PackerTraxx said:
Great! Get football outside where it belongs! I believe that places our entire division outside, assuming this comes true.

That would be our entire division with the exception of Ford Field. But then again, Detroit never mattered much anyways. :lol:

Regards,

Robert C. Hedley

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to check - but doesn't Ford Field have one of those retractable roof's...
I know they have that new turf, which is made up of diced up old car tires, or something akin to it. The players say that when they get tackled during the fourth quarter - you see big puffs of dust fly up... I'm thinkin' lung disease right about there... But, from the TV screen Ford Field does look like they spent some time taking quite a bit into consideration. Be interesting to go there sometime soon - I'll miss ol' Tiger Stadium and the ol' Lion Den (can't think of the name right now) - the old places like County Stadium had that smell of history..

County Stadium ----

Seein the Packers play when Majik Man was the QB - awesome
Seein Pink Floyd play in 1977 - 72,000 fans were there...
Watchin' the 1982 Baseball Season finish with grabbin the AL Pennant
Bein there for the first Eagles Tour, when Joe Walsh joined the group
Watchin' the Booze Bros set their band up right on Home Plate - WOW (got pics)
County Stadium had the best brats in town - hands down!

There are so many memories about that place - I'm glad they got it all on film with those baseball movies (Tom Berenger & Charlie Sheen, etc) - Major League

Can't wait to check out Miller Park - but losing County Stadium still hurts!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't wait to check out Miller Park - but losing County Stadium still hurts!
It's not so great, maybe once they fix that multi-million dollar leaking retractable roof :)

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Vikeman said:
That would be our entire division with the exception of Ford Field. But then again, Detroit never mattered much anyways. :lol:

Regards,

Robert C. Hedley

Man, I could have sworn the annoucers were talking about the Lions being outside again. Went to their site to check it out and it sure looks like a roof. It could be retractable, but that's not football. What a bunch of ***** cats. May they be banished to the basement.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that as long as the retractable roof is left open, pretty much of the time, closing it regularly for the harder thunderstorms, and the snow (sometimes - like when there's no football game - c'mon, get real now).. then they would be able to, I think, get some pretty damn fine RYE & BLUEGRASS to srout up and give everyone what's really needed.... NO MORE ASTRO-TURF!

Remember, around here, the Colts are building the same type of Stadium.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see where it makes sense economically. I just thought it would be great to have the entire black and blue division outside again. Oh well...

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a mother of a former high school football player, I remember all kinds of weather in which he played. snow, rain, heat etc. Football belongs outdoors.

AF Lion

Cheesehead
Reaction score
William Clay Ford originally wanted a retractable roof but could get the funds for it. Supposedly the field was designed to add one later but I dont see that happening anytime soon.

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vikes belong outside - I remember watching a GB - minn game in the '70's at minn , and the light poles were swaying in the wind . BUT it won't matter , the PACK will win the super bowl this year !!!!

GO PACK :mrgreen:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts