Vikes acquire Jared Allen

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:
But have no doubt, Allen will have an impact on the Vikings defense... .

I am sure he will..

Just as sure as I am that MM and staff will figure out a way to not let it become a sack fest

Saw an interview last night with Chad Greenway (after the event they had announcing Chad's $100,000 donation to a new children's hospital in SD) where he talked about the impact of Allen on the entire defense.

His basic point was that SO MUCH in the passing game in the NFL these days is predicated on timing that disrupting the timing - even by a fraction of a second - can cause a pass to sail high or wide or get tipped.

Plus, I see the Vikings blitzing a lot less with Allen than last season under Leslie Frazier's coordination, which allows more men to drop into coverage, again causing to disrupt the timing by clogging the lanes.

He doesn't have to get 15.5 sacks to be everything they need him to be.

=Z=

What'd you expect Greenway to say? That there new 74 million dollar man won't have any effect? OK. Blitz or don't blitz, the Packers O-line is one of the best pass blocking lines in the league. They did a better job against the eventual Super Bowl champs than the best offense ever.

and what is it that Allen needs to be? you want him to disrupt timing? that's fine. remember, our WR's are actually football players, not like Allen's opponents last year. Allen played in the AFC west. that's the broncos, raiders, and chargers. yeah, the chargers were good, but it wasn't because of their passing attack.

The packers' o-line was one of the best in part because they had a HOF QB behind them. Favre had the annoying habit of always knowing how quickly to get rid of the ball, and how to make just enough steps to make room for him to throw. In the Dallas game last season, according to the play-by-play, he dropped back 14 times. He wasn't sacked, and he didn't scramble. Aaron Rogers, in the same game, dropped back 32 times. He was sacked twice and scrambled 6 times. Aaron Rogers doesn't have the quick decision-making capabilities of your former QB, and that is going to affect the perceived performance of your O-line by quite a bit.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

Just as sure as I am that MM and staff will figure out a way to not let it become a sack fest

Saw an interview last night with Chad Greenway (after the event they had announcing Chad's $100,000 donation to a new children's hospital in SD) where he talked about the impact of Allen on the entire defense.

His basic point was that SO MUCH in the passing game in the NFL these days is predicated on timing that disrupting the timing - even by a fraction of a second - can cause a pass to sail high or wide or get tipped.

Plus, I see the Vikings blitzing a lot less with Allen than last season under Leslie Frazier's coordination, which allows more men to drop into coverage, again causing to disrupt the timing by clogging the lanes.

=Z=

What'd you expect Greenway to say? That there new 74 million dollar man won't have any effect? OK. Blitz or don't blitz, the Packers O-line is one of the best pass blocking lines in the league. They did a better job against the eventual Super Bowl champs than the best offense ever.

and what is it that Allen needs to be? you want him to disrupt timing? that's fine. remember, our WR's are actually football players, not like Allen's opponents last year. Allen played in the AFC west. that's the broncos, raiders, and chargers. yeah, the chargers were good, but it wasn't because of their passing attack.

The packers' o-line was one of the best in part because they had a HOF QB behind them. Favre had the annoying habit of always knowing how quickly to get rid of the ball, and how to make just enough steps to make room for him to throw. In the Dallas game last season, according to the play-by-play, he dropped back 14 times. He wasn't sacked, and he didn't scramble. Aaron Rogers, in the same game, dropped back 32 times. He was sacked twice and scrambled 6 times. Aaron Rogers doesn't have the quick decision-making capabilities of your former QB, and that is going to affect the perceived performance of your O-line by quite a bit.

Well said!! ( but your fellow vik brother won't like you posting nfl links )

In that Dallas game what happen when Brett dropped back? Did you see the game? Brett threw the ball so he wouldn't get sacked and ended up tossing ints because of it.

Brett wasn't always quick to make a decision.. There were times at Lambeau that the fans would CHEER if he threw the ball away..

I have a feeling that in his 1st season as a starter, AR will play smarter than what Brett did as his 1st season as a starter..

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

=Z=

I'll forgive Rodgers for having happy feet being thrust into the biggest reg. season game of the year. he played very well in that game.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

=Z=

I'll forgive Rodgers for having happy feet being thrust into the biggest reg. season game of the year. he played very well in that game.

I wasn't ******* Rodgers. I was simply trying to say that your vaunted o-line isn't going to look as good this year with a QB behind them that isn't as able/willing to throw the ball to avoid the sack.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
100% agreed that we nor I am sure the FO of the Packers for sure now what they have in Rodgers.. but we have to have faith.

I think the bigger question when it comes to Aaron.. is can he stay healthy?

I completely expect him to struggle at times and make bad decisions.. anyone thinking otherwise is going to be disappointed.

However I do have faith in the gameplanning and adjustments MM makes on the offensive side of the ball moreso than I would have in Chilly and company on the Vikings.. IMO.. they didn't tailor the gameplan to help TJ out alot.

I think our tackles are fine.. however I am concerned yet with the interior of that line and adding Allen will just increase the concern on the interior because we may have to chip Allen and Roberson (*edit Robison) with the TE or RB.. leaving the interior on their own so to speak.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it goes back to what I was saying earlier, Pack93z. It feels great to have a FO who has shown us that we can have faith in them.

Vikings fans: If you want me to describe to you how that feels, I would be happy to oblige.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
And it goes back to what I was saying earlier, Pack93z. It feels great to have a FO who has shown us that we can have faith in them.

Vikings fans: If you want me to describe to you how that feels, I would be happy to oblige.

I know exactly how it feels. Red McCombs is gone.

I love Wilf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zELlc1dyL0

I'm the guy in the #94, Pat Williams jersey - with sunglasses and a tan cap. That's before the Home Opener last season.

=Z=

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

I love Wilf.

I'm the guy in the #94, Pat Williams jersey - with sunglasses and a tan cap. That's before the Home Opener last season.

=Z=

That is pretty cool. Does Wilf do that often? Good to see an owner taking interest in the consumer.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
bozz_2006 said:

I love Wilf.

=Z=

That is pretty cool. Does Wilf do that often? Good to see an owner taking interest in the consumer.

And there's your problem right there. Packers fans = Family. Vikings fans = consumer.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread already has 6 pages. That proves that the Packer fans are crapping their pants thinking of Jared Allen getting in on Rodgers. Also, it is great to have one of the Vikings greatest fans "Zeus" on the site. I had the fortunate experience of meeting him at the tailgate party before the Chargers game last year. The game where "Purple Jesus" set the single game rushing record. Zeus is a great fan.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're not crapping our pants over him. thats not why theres 6 pages. its 6 pages of us telling you you're silly for thinking the team is good now.

but yeah, enjoy your little fantasy. its all good.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're not crapping our pants over him. thats not why theres 6 pages. its 6 pages of us telling you you're silly for thinking the team is good now.

I could believe one page of telling us were silly for getting him, but you and Packer fans every where are ******** a brick right now. And, fair warning, don't get into any crap with Zeus, because he will own you. My bag, I think he already has owned most of you.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I could believe one page of telling us were silly for getting him, but you and Packer fans every where are ******** a brick right now. And, fair warning, don't get into any crap with Zeus, because he will own you. My bag, I think he already has owned most of you.

you really think GB fans really care, don't you? that's sad. you're a vikings fan on a packer forum, btw, wtf is that about?

wow, your bag? really?

are you gonna do a disappearing act like the vikings fans do when the team is losing in october? get it in now, I guess. amazing.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
tromadz said:

you really think GB fans really care, don't you? that's sad. you're a vikings fan on a packer forum, btw, wtf is that about?

wow, your bag? really?

are you gonna do a disappearing act like the vikings fans do when the team is losing in october? get it in now, I guess. amazing.

You must have me confused with the Bears fans. I did not disappear last season, why would I disappear this season? Your concern proves that you have most likely when and changed your britches after crapping your pants.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:

wow, your bag? really?

You must have me confused with the Bears fans. I did not disappear last season, why would I disappear this season? Your concern proves that you have most likely when and changed your britches after crapping your pants.

where the hell was there concern? wow. someone got drunk on day 2 of the draft apparently. you enjoy your hope for a couple more months, because you know what? i heard all this stupid BS last year. how did that work out for you?

save the "durrr, you're scared shitless! jared allen is gonna destroy aron rogers! best change your britches! durr!" response.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:

wow, your bag? really?

where the hell was there concern? wow. someone got drunk on day 2 of the draft apparently. you enjoy your hope for a couple more months, because you know what? i heard all this stupid BS last year. how did that work out for you?

save the "durrr, you're scared shitless! jared allen is gonna destroy aron rogers! best change your britches! durr!" response.

I really don't believe you are a Packer fan. Anyone as stupid as you has to be a Bear fan pretending to be a Packer fan.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:

wow, your bag? really?

The funny part is that Aaron Rodgers name was posted at least a dozen times on this thread, I am not going to take the time to count them. Then you spell his name aron rogers. Are you still in grade school, or jr. high? Say goodnight to your mother.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:

wow, your bag? really?

The funny part is that Aaron Rodgers name was posted at least a dozen times on this thread, I am not going to take the time to count them. Then you spell his name aron rogers. Are you still in grade school, or jr. high? Say goodnight to your mother.

wow, where to start?

first, why didn't you put this nice little response in your previous post?

second, it's not that you won't take the time to count, you can't count. don't lie.

third, i spelled his name wrong on purpose, mocking vikings fans. right over your head, like most every day conversation.

you fail at life.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:

wow, your bag? really?

wow, where to start?

second, it's not that you won't take the time to count, you can't count. don't lie.

third, i spelled his name wrong on purpose, mocking vikings fans. right over your head, like most every day conversation.

you fail at life.

The reason I did not post the response at first was, I thought it might be sarcasm, but then I thought about it and decided you were to fricking stupid to know what sarcasm was. Go to bed before your mother gives you a spanking.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:
vike4life said:
tromadz said:

wow, your bag? really?

wow, where to start?

you fail at life.

The reason I did not post the response at first was, I thought it might be sarcasm, but then I thought about it and decided you were to fricking stupid to know what sarcasm was. Go to bed before your mother gives you a spanking.

Well at least you admitted you couldn't figure out that one of the most sarcastic posters on this site was being sarcastic. You'd give Booty a run for his money on the wonderlic test, I bet.

thanks for entertaining me with your stupidity.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So you are completely disregarding Jared Allen? He was the NFL sack leader when he played on a worse line. Now he is lined up next to the Williams wall, and if you can't see that as a legitimate threat, then you are really blinded by fandom.

What do you think is more foolhardy? Convincing yourself that Jared Allen is going to strike fear in the heart of Rodgers, or completely dismissing him as a threat? They both seem to be on about the same level of stupid to me. JMHO.

TheTroll

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Take a look at the last couple drafts, take a look at how they work our players contracts, most of our FAs have been decent the past couple years. The Vikings are headed in a good direction. Much better then when Tice was HC.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Take a look at the last couple drafts, take a look at how they work our players contracts, most of our FAs have been decent the past couple years. The Vikings are headed in a good direction. Much better then when Tice was HC.

I would agree that personnel-wise, you are improving from the Tice era, but as bad a head coach as Tice was, I haven't seen anything from Childress that would lead me to believe he's any better.

Members online

Latest posts