Vikes acquire Jared Allen

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
tromadz said:
I remember hearing how great the Vikings were gonna be the other year when they got that overpaid Olineman who wasn't close to living up to his contract.

Gotta overpay on both sides of the line, I guess.

Are you talking about Hutchinson? Pretty sure that the Vikings run offense has vaulted into the elite of the NFL since his arrival - while the Seahawks' has sunk.

And that "overpaid" contract he signed is now a bargain, because idiots like Jerry Jones give that kind of money to mediocre fools like Leonard Davis.

Eh?

Ranked 16th is your definition of ELITE?

The ONLY reason you can be considered elite now is the one and only AP

LOL - nice use of selective statistics to prove your point.

I counter with:
27th in 2005 - pre-Hutch
16th in 2006
1st in 2007

=Z=

How is it selective? You said SINCE his arrival, which to me means 1st season..I proved that they weren't elite in the 1st season. I also am pretty sure majority of people would say that because of AP is reason your elite now

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly the type of action Zeus wandered over for.. straight debate.

:pop:

Just hope it stays civil on both sides.

No reason not to be civil.

I'm right.

=Z=

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
tromadz said:
I remember hearing how great the Vikings were gonna be the other year when they got that overpaid Olineman who wasn't close to living up to his contract.

Gotta overpay on both sides of the line, I guess.

Are you talking about Hutchinson? Pretty sure that the Vikings run offense has vaulted into the elite of the NFL since his arrival - while the Seahawks' has sunk.

And that "overpaid" contract he signed is now a bargain, because idiots like Jerry Jones give that kind of money to mediocre fools like Leonard Davis.

Eh?

Ranked 16th is your definition of ELITE?

The ONLY reason you can be considered elite now is the one and only AP

LOL - nice use of selective statistics to prove your point.

I counter with:
27th in 2005 - pre-Hutch
16th in 2006
1st in 2007

How is it selective? You said SINCE his arrival, which to me means 1st season..I proved that they weren't elite in the 1st season. I also am pretty sure majority of people would say that because of AP is reason your elite now

SINCE his arrival - they vaulted 11 spots in his first season, as he was learning new teammates and a new blocking scheme. In his 2nd, they were #1.

If holes are not there, even the greatest RBs will fail.

=Z=

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Impact that Allen has on against the Packers... some but limited, Why?

We will use 3 step quick rythmn passing and put the pressure on the weakness that exists on the Vikings defense. The Corners and a slowing Sharper in the middle.. can't do alot of damage if Rodgers doesn't have the ball.

Once the defense tightens up and the backers start to drop into the short zones in an effort to slow the quick slants up... the Jennings or Driver will double move a defender and the process will begin again.

But have no doubt, Allen will have an impact on the Vikings defense... you just have to isolate the weakness that is still there.. the perimeter defenders.. FA safety or not. Make them beat you.. and try to minimize the pass rush as much as you can. It won't be -13 below zero in Sept or in the dome.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
tromadz said:
Zeus said:
uwbadger12000 said:
I have visions of Allen getting stoned at the line by either Tausher or Clifton.

Flashbacks from your days at Haight-Ashbury?

Nah, flashbacks from last year.

I don't see Jared Allen lining up next to two Pro Bowl DTs in that game log. Do you?

Nahhh

but HERE is your 2 pro bowlers in a loss of 34-0..not to mention 1st single player that season rushing for over 100 yards on those guys...

Is that your thing? Linking to NFL.Com to support your points? I'll keep note of it. Shall I link to the Packers choking it up against the Bears at the end of last season to make a specious point that has no bearing on the upcoming season?

=Z=

Your funny!!!

Here we like to PROVE our theories, point, ideas, opinions by providing links..

You do recall you posting something about your pro bowl d-lineman right? All I did was provide evidence ( because we know Viking fans blocked out that game ) on how the Packers did on that day

But now you like to call foul because of me posting something about what you brought up in the 1st place.

TTT--typical troll tactic

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impact that Allen has on against the Packers... some but limited, Why?

We will use 3 step quick rythmn passing and put the pressure on the weakness that exists on the Vikings defense. The Corners and a slowing Sharper in the middle.. can't do alot of damage if Rodgers doesn't have the ball.

Once the defense tightens up and the backers start to drop into the shor zones in an effort to slow the quick slants up... the Jennings or Driver will double move a defender and the process will begin again.

But have no doubt, Allen will have an impact on the Vikings defense... you just have to isolate the weakness that is still there.. the perimeter defenders.. FA safety or not. Make them beat you.. and try to minimize the pass rush as much as you can. It won't be -13 below zero in Sept or in the dome.

I disagree that the corners are the weak spot. Antoine Winfield is the best-tackling CB in the league. And Ced Griffen showed great strides last year. The biggest problem in the secondary is now free to bang Sconnies in stairwells and smoke big fat doobers outside strip clubs, because he ain't here no more.

Madieu Williams is - and, guess what? His strength is in coverage.

Weeeeeeee! This is gonna be fun!

=Z=

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
tromadz said:
Zeus said:
uwbadger12000 said:
I have visions of Allen getting stoned at the line by either Tausher or Clifton.

I don't see Jared Allen lining up next to two Pro Bowl DTs in that game log. Do you?

Nahhh

but HERE is your 2 pro bowlers in a loss of 34-0..not to mention 1st single player that season rushing for over 100 yards on those guys...

Is that your thing? Linking to NFL.Com to support your points? I'll keep note of it. Shall I link to the Packers choking it up against the Bears at the end of last season to make a specious point that has no bearing on the upcoming season?

Your funny!!!

You do recall you posting something about your pro bowl d-lineman right? All I did was provide evidence ( because we know Viking fans blocked out that game ) on how the Packers did on that day

But now you like to call foul because of me posting something about what you brought up in the 1st place.

If I were a troll, I'd attack, belittle, insult, dominate and leave.

You linked to a game where Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams did NOT play together.

I continue to fail to see how that has any relevance to 2008.

=Z=

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But have no doubt, Allen will have an impact on the Vikings defense... .

I am sure he will..

Just as sure as I am that MM and staff will figure out a way to not let it become a sack fest

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
tromadz said:
Zeus said:
uwbadger12000 said:

Nahhh

Your funny!!!

If I were a troll, I'd attack, belittle, insult, dominate and leave.

You linked to a game where Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams did NOT play together.

I continue to fail to see how that has any relevance to 2008.

=Z=

I agree but what fun is it if I don't try? :p

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Purple Jesus is just Barney with horns.

Purple Jesus smiles at your blasphemy.

But all must know - his memory is long, and his vengence is complete.

=Z=

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I disagree that the corners are the weak spot. Antoine Winfield is the best-tackling CB in the league. And Ced Griffen showed great strides last year. The biggest problem in the secondary is now free to bang Sconnies in stairwells and smoke big fat doobers outside strip clubs, because he ain't here no more.

Madieu Williams is - and, guess what? His strength is in coverage.

Weeeeeeee! This is gonna be fun!

=Z=

With all the pressure 74 million dollars should supply.. all the onus is on that secondary. Much like the pressure will be on Jackson this season, there is no excuses for a porous pass defense.. Frazier should have all the tools he needs.

Proof will be in the putting come September.. it should be interesting.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

Just as sure as I am that MM and staff will figure out a way to not let it become a sack fest

Saw an interview last night with Chad Greenway (after the event they had announcing Chad's $100,000 donation to a new children's hospital in SD) where he talked about the impact of Allen on the entire defense.

His basic point was that SO MUCH in the passing game in the NFL these days is predicated on timing that disrupting the timing - even by a fraction of a second - can cause a pass to sail high or wide or get tipped.

Plus, I see the Vikings blitzing a lot less with Allen than last season under Leslie Frazier's coordination, which allows more men to drop into coverage, again causing to disrupt the timing by clogging the lanes.

He doesn't have to get 15.5 sacks to be everything they need him to be.

=Z=

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

Saw an interview last night with Chad Greenway (after the event they had announcing Chad's $100,000 donation to a new children's hospital in SD) where he talked about the impact of Allen on the entire defense.

His basic point was that SO MUCH in the passing game in the NFL these days is predicated on timing that disrupting the timing - even by a fraction of a second - can cause a pass to sail high or wide or get tipped.

Plus, I see the Vikings blitzing a lot less with Allen than last season under Leslie Frazier's coordination, which allows more men to drop into coverage, again causing to disrupt the timing by clogging the lanes.

=Z=

I agree 10000%..

But one thing you are forgetting now..Behind the center is a mobile q/b that can and will be able to run if needed..

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

I agree 10000%..

But one thing you are forgetting now..Behind the center is a mobile q/b that can and will be able to run if needed..

Who? Aaron Rodgers? Based upon his career work?

Face it Packerland - you kids have no clue what will actually happen when he takes the reigns. He could be anywhere from horrid to fabulous. But he still is, in essence, a rookie.

=Z=

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

I agree 10000%..

Face it Packerland - you kids have no clue what will actually happen when he takes the reigns. He could be anywhere from horrid to fabulous. But he still is, in essence, a rookie.

=Z=

Ar is going to be MORE mobile than Brett..Brett stopped being mobile his last years playing..ANY q/b that has under 6 or so years would be more mobile than Brett..Has nothing to do with his "career" work, all though Ar showed vs Dallas he will run..

I can almost guarantee AR will be a mobile q/b unless he is on the bench or legs wrapped up in tape LOL

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

=Z=

What'd you expect Greenway to say? That there new 74 million dollar man won't have any effect? OK. Blitz or don't blitz, the Packers O-line is one of the best pass blocking lines in the league. They did a better job against the eventual Super Bowl champs than the best offense ever.

and what is it that Allen needs to be? you want him to disrupt timing? that's fine. remember, our WR's are actually football players, not like Allen's opponents last year. Allen played in the AFC west. that's the broncos, raiders, and chargers. yeah, the chargers were good, but it wasn't because of their passing attack.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee AR will be a mobile q/b unless he is on the bench or legs wrapped up in tape LOL

He'll have to be mobile, what with Jared Allen chasing him outta the pocket!

=Z=

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

I agree 10000%..

=Z=

I agree that he could be anywhere from horrid to fabulous, but he has seen NFL competition and he has met success at the NFL level in his limited experience. I thought you were very reasonable and intelligent, but then you went and said he's still basically a rookie.... so, you think every player who has been a backup is still a rookie until they complete a full season as a starter? half season? Do you really want to stick with that statement? I doubt it. there's a huge difference between a kid who played college ball last year and a man who has been learning from arguably one of the top 5 quarterbacks of all time for three years.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

I agree 10000%..

I agree that he could be anywhere from horrid to fabulous, but he has seen NFL competition and he has met success at the NFL level in his limited experience. I thought you were very reasonable and intelligent, but then you went and said he's still basically a rookie.... so, you think every player who has been a backup is still a rookie until they complete a full season as a starter? half season? Do you really want to stick with that statement? I doubt it. there's a huge difference between a kid who played college ball last year and a man who has been learning from arguably one of the top 5 quarterbacks of all time for three years.

LOL - like Favre has been taking Rodgers under his arm and tutoring him. Puh-lease.

Yes, Rodgers is, in essence, a rookie. How many career attempts does he have? 40? 50?

Standing and holding a clipboard only takes you so far. Until he faces the fire of a rush week after week after week, then, yes, he's still - IN ESSENCE - a rookie.

I felt the same about Tarvaris last year and said as much on PPO.

=Z=

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's how you feel, ok. I will have to respectfully, vehemently disagree with you. In my mind, a rookie is someone just entering the NFL. Rodgers hasn't been a starter or started any regular season games, but just because he hasn't been playing reg. season games doesn't mean he hasn't been learning. He's been in the NFL 3 years. Not a rookie. Not a rookie "in essence" either.

P.S. I never said Favre "took him under his arm" or "tutored him".

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
If that's how you feel, ok. I will have to respectfully, vehemently disagree with you. In my mind, a rookie is someone just entering the NFL. Rodgers hasn't been a starter or started any regular season games, but just because he hasn't been playing reg. season games doesn't mean he hasn't been learning. He's been in the NFL 3 years. Not a rookie. Not a rookie "in essence" either.

P.S. I never said Favre "took him under his arm" or "tutored him".

Yes, you did not use those exact words. But you sure as hell implied it, and you're dancing away from it now.

=Z=

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure as hell did not imply it. I said he was learning from Favre, not that he was being tutored by Favre. Big difference.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
longtimefan said:
Pack93z said:

I am sure he will..

I agree 10000%..

LOL - like Favre has been taking Rodgers under his arm and tutoring him. Puh-lease.

Yes, Rodgers is, in essence, a rookie. How many career attempts does he have? 40? 50?

Standing and holding a clipboard only takes you so far. Until he faces the fire of a rush week after week after week, then, yes, he's still - IN ESSENCE - a rookie.

I felt the same about Tarvaris last year and said as much on PPO.

=Z=

How many times did Brett and Ar spend watching game film and dissecting it down?

How many times has AR gone over to Bretts for dinner? ( not that is football related, but shows they did or do have a certain friendship )

It is a HUGE thing of not facing a rushing game in and game out, so in that SENSE he is a rookie..but according to league rules he is not a rookie..

He did more then just hold a clip board..Maybe you should study up on AR more before spewing things ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts