Veteran Turnovers the Key in Week 2 Loss?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersnews.com:

Key players make key errors

Turnovers by Favre, Green play pivotal role in defeat

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

There's no place Packers coach Mike McCarthy would rather see the football than in the hands of quarterback Brett Favre or running back Ahman Green.

That's why it was so disconcerting for McCarthy to watch those prominent players commit critical turnovers in the second half of Sunday's game.

Favre was the first culprit. The Packers reached the Saints' 7-yard-line in the third quarter when Favre lobbed a pass into the hands of Saints safety Omar Stoutmire.

"I couldn't believe he threw it," Stoutmire said. "I thought he was just going to go down and take the sack. Then he threw it right to me."

Favre said he was trying to throw the ball away and was hit as he threw the pass.

"I think Donald was coming across, and I was throwing it right over his head, and I got hit," Favre said. "It's unfortunate, because we had a good drive going. Up to that point, we had done a good job of controlling the ball and taking care of it."

Six plays later, John Carney kicked a 45-yard field goal to give the Saints a 17-13 lead.

As costly as Favre's interception was, Green's fumble in the fourth quarter essentially ended the Packers' chances to win. The Packers trailed 27-20 but had plenty of time to rally. Instead, Saints defensive end Charles Grant knocked the ball out of Green's hands.

"The defender just got a good swipe at it coming from the back side behind me, where I really didn't see him coming from behind, because I was trying to get up the field," Green said. "He got a really good hit on the ball, and I just lost it."

Deuce McAllister ran for a 23-yard touchdown on the next play to give the Saints a 34-20 lead.

Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski appeared especially frustrated at Green's fumble.

"That doesn't help. You've got to take care of the football. I don't care. Whoever has the ball in his hands, he's got the ball in his hands for the whole team," Jagodzinski said. "You've got to hang onto the football. That's what loses games. You can't turn the ball over in this league."

Even though Favre led the NFL with 29 interceptions last season and Green has a history of fumbling, their teammates were surprised to see two of their best players give up the ball at such costly points in the game.

"It happens, but it's really something that you just hate to see," center Scott Wells said. "That interception was a killer. I'm not blaming Brett in any way, but if we don't turn the ball over there, that's almost a certain touchdown."

Saints receiver Joe Horn said the two turnovers were the difference in the game, and said he was surprised to see them come from Favre and Green.

"We turned the ball over early, and it cost us 13 points early," Horn said. "But their turnovers pretty much did them in."

------------------------------------------------------
I agree, we aren't good enough(we're too young,raw,weak in certain areas) to turn the ball over and win, even vs. average\mediocre teams.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
343 yards. 3 TD's. 1 Pick.

Yeah, it's Favre's fault, bench him for A-Rod.

This is Assanine. Why bring it up..what's your point?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we were at the five yard line about to score that was huge! And the Green fumble was even bigger he fumbles then the next play we are down by 14

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Sure. Blame the loss on Favre and Green. Nothing less than I would expect. :roll:

I hope you weren't referring to me. I dont write for packersnews.com :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Anubis said:
Sure. Blame the loss on Favre and Green. Nothing less than I would expect. :roll:

I hope you weren't referring to me. I dont write for packersnews.com :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No....you just copy and paste to inflame and try to keep the pressure off TT.....sooooo transparent.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any 1 with half brain knows that these 2 turnovers where huge!! I'm not blaming Favre and Green for losing the game seeing as it is a team effort, but these 2 turnovers really really killed us.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i thtink the dropprd passes where the biggest reasons we lost the game.

maby we would have scored a td or 2 if their wherent that many turnovers.

all players should be blamed for the loss.

if you want to win a game all the players have to play well.

for example: if the o line blocked good favre wouldent have throwen an int.

he was hit while he was throwing which causedthe ball to be inted. the ball was ment to go out of bounds. favre should have taken the sack.

the o line and favre should be blamed for the int.

i did not watch the game i listened to it on the radieo. and i am saying this based off of what i read.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
......yep, im the editor of jsonline and packersnews.com

wow........

un-fuucking-believable

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:

All FAvres and Greens fault,,YEAH RIGHT!!! Come on people,,Farve had a good game,,he was trying to throw that ball away when he was hit..try throwing a ball and getting hit the ball goes off track..this wasnt his fault...

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would of been mad if Brett HAD lobbed that ball up but he got drilled(as usual) as he threw it so what do you expect him to know ahead of time if he'll be hit during the throw. As for Green I'll admit I'm tired of him costing us games. I know he's been better with the ball the last while but still he seems to fumble at the worst time. Oh well at least we still got Samk...oh no maybe not

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
we were at the five yard line about to score that was huge! And the Green fumble was even bigger he fumbles then the next play we are down by 14

Were you even watching the game? Favre was hit!

Okay, try this. You go to throw a pass and I smack you with a baseball bat as you release. If you hit your target, you get the title to my car. If not, you give me $100.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
majikman said:

All FAvres and Greens fault,,YEAH RIGHT!!! Come on people,,Farve had a good game,,he was trying to throw that ball away when he was hit..try throwing a ball and getting hit the ball goes off track..this wasnt his fault...

Okay, glad someone else besides me was watching the game. Good post.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at all this overreaction. Blame it all on Green and Favre. Bench Favre for Rodgers.

Ridiculous. It's like nobody read the article.

It's more so the turning points of the game and it was Favre holding the ball to long and Green fumbling. The younger players did play well for the most part on Sunday. It's the vets that didn't step it up in the long run. Favre played a flawless game except for holding onto the ball for to long like stated. He should of got rid of it sooner or taken a sack and worse comes to worse Green Bay settles for a field goal and takes the lead. Outside of that though Favre can't play any better then he did on Sunday.

Guys like Clifton, Franks, Barnett, Ferguson, and Manuel (just to name some) all played bad games. The Defense ultimately loss the game for us not Favre or Green. No one is saying Favre or Green loss the game for us. Their just mentioning that the turning points of the game involved mistakes/bad luck or whatever want call it by 2 of our best players.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Look at all this overreaction. Blame it all on Green and Favre. Bench Favre for Rodgers.

It's more so the turning points of the game and it was Favre holding the ball to long and Green fumbling. The younger players did play well for the most part on Sunday. It's the vets that didn't step it up in the long run. Favre played a flawless game except for holding onto the ball for to long like stated. He should of got rid of it sooner or taken a sack and worse comes to worse Green Bay settles for a field goal and takes the lead. Outside of that though Favre can't play any better then he did on Sunday.

Guys like Clifton, Franks, Barnett, Ferguson, and Manuel (just to name some) all played bad games. The Defense ultimately loss the game for us not Favre or Green. No one is saying Favre or Green loss the game for us. Their just mentioning that the turning points of the game involved mistakes/bad luck or whatever want call it by 2 of our best players.

Did you read the article? The title, and the opening paragraphs are all about blaming Favre and Green for the loss. Here:

Key players make key errors

Turnovers by Favre, Green play pivotal role in defeat

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

There's no place Packers coach Mike McCarthy would rather see the football than in the hands of quarterback Brett Favre or running back Ahman Green.

That's why it was so disconcerting for McCarthy to watch those prominent players commit critical turnovers in the second half of Sunday's game.

Favre was the first culprit. The Packers reached the Saints' 7-yard-line in the third quarter when Favre lobbed a pass into the hands of Saints safety Omar Stoutmire.

"I couldn't believe he threw it," Stoutmire said. "I thought he was just going to go down and take the sack. Then he threw it right to me."

That's as much crap as I need to read. I watched the game, I saw Favre looking spectacular, the defense folding (besides Kampman who should have shared the game ball with Driver), and everyone on offense except Driver dropping the ball or running lame routes. Blaming Favre for this loss is plain stupid. Favre was one of the few people doing it right.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

The reason people are reacting to this Porky is because some people here like to stir the pot of controversy by continually taking jabs at Brett Favre. You are like the guys on ESPN trying to continually stir the pot.

Is it possible that your trying to cover up for some else's difficiencies in the Packer organization by continually pointing the finger at Favre?

It gets old, and people are getting tired of it. This article is ********, and to even post it quite transparent. If the Packers had any kind of DEFENSE they would have won this game, plain and simple!

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre lookes spectacular? Seriously? He made some great throws and some stupid ones. He took some risks and one went for an INT.

Brett was accurate as all hell the first two series. Then he went right in the tank. It was the third or fourth series and he missed the RB (I think it was Green) in the flat TWICE. How does a QB miss a wide open RB in the flat?

It's his inconsistency that bewilders me. How can he thread the needle to Jennings on the TD, and then miss a guy open in the flat?

Brett's decision making was acceptable in this game, but I think his innaccuracy was not. I was excited after the first two drives and he was hitting guys in stride, then it slipped away.

The turn overs turned the game for us, it is however a DAMN shame that our passing defense can't stop anyone.

Since Brett's accuracy is not going to change, I would focus the efforts on shoring up the secondary.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Favre lookes spectacular? Seriously? He made some great throws and some stupid ones. He took some risks and one went for an INT."

The one that went for an int wasn't a risk. He was trying to throw it away and got hit.

If you expect Brett Favre or any NFL QB to play a whole game taking no risks, you're gonna be disappointed every time.

Members online

Latest posts