Veteran safety Vincent gets wish, released by Bills

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy Vincent got his wish Thursday when the Buffalo Bills released the veteran defensive back.

The 15-year NFL veteran said he's fully recovered from a left hamstring injury that led the team to place him on injured reserve four weeks ago.

Vincent is prepared to seek offers from another team.

"I'm ready to go," the 35-year-old Vincent said. "To be fair, it was the right time for me. ... Now's the time for me to look at where I'm at. And I still want to play some football."

While Vincent said he enjoyed his two-plus seasons in Buffalo, he's not pleased with how the team handled him after he was hurt in the season-opening loss at New England. Citing their depleted depth at safety, the Bills placed Vincent on IR even though his injury was considered relatively minor.

Vincent, who has three years left on his contract beyond this season, believes the move was a way for the team to cut him by taking the unusual step of placing him on what's known as IR-minor.

While the designation means Vincent is guaranteed his $2.6 million salary this season, it also allows the team to release the player once he's healthy.

"That was a front-office decision and you live with it," Vincent said. "When they put me on IR-minor, it's clear that's a decision they made that tells me they don't want you around. ... You don't want to be in a place where you're not wanted."

Vincent was surprised by the move, particularly after he made the season-opening roster and after he initially hurt his hamstring in training camp.

A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Vincent is coming off a strong season in which he made a career-high 102 tackles and led the Bills with four interceptions in 16 starts. He entered this season with 47 interceptions, most among active players.

He's one game short of appearing in his 200th career game. Miami's first-round pick in the 1992 draft, he played four seasons with the Dolphins before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent in 1996.

Vincent played the next eight seasons with the Eagles before signing with the Bills as a free agent in 2004. After spending his first 12 seasons as a cornerback, Vincent made the switch to free safety in his first season with Buffalo following the emergence of CB Terrence McGee.

Vincent was also re-elected last spring as the NFL Players Association president.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he's not what he used to be but 3 years ago I would of loved to have him. Also I do believe he's a former Badger which makes him fit in GB even better.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing TT take the chance, but if he doesn't, it's obviously for a good reason.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should bring him in. I think he would be an improvment on Manuel, even if he (Vincent) played with a completely torn hammy. :D

But really, he's a veteran with proven leadership skills (spokesman for the NFLPA) and is likely smart enough, (even if he has lost a step with age) to not kill us on D. I think it's exactly what we need

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything Manuel could learn from him and use it next season or after that if he shows improvement. Or even guys like Underwood could benefit too even though he is injured.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he doesn't want to play for the Bills, I got a feeling Green Bay isn't on the top of his list.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
If anything Manuel could learn from him and use it next season or after that if he shows improvement. Or even guys like Underwood could benefit too even though he is injured.

my thoughts exactly. i am curious why the bills didn't want him anymore though. :-?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
rabidgopher04 said:

my thoughts exactly. i am curious why the bills didn't want him anymore though. :-?

didnt really find an answer other then he might be to old and cost to much and was hurt..they put him on the ir after 1st game of the year..But he is now ready to play and was schocked they placed him on the ir for a "minor injury"

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I recall, when he was originally put on the disabled list it was rumored that it had something to do with him being president of the union.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
rabidgopher04 said:

here's my guess:

The Bills were the consesnus pick for worst draft, at least day 1. They reached for a decent safety in rnd 1, then reached for another later. Then, when Vincent was placed on IR, it looked like a much better draft, because they ended up in need of talented depth @ safety. His placement on IR was only for PR

Being a talented veteran, I'm sure he took this as disrespect, (which it was) and wanted out. I don't think his wanting out had a whole lot to do with the team's record, just management.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niners hope to sign Troy Vincent
The 49ers are hotly pursuing five-time Pro Bowl defensive back Troy Vincent, two league sources told The Press Democrat today.

"It's safe to say the 49ers are interested, certainly interested," a source said. "But I think there will be other teams involved in it."

Vincent, a highly respected 15-year NFL veteran whom the Bills released earlier today, is free to sign with any team. The 49ers believe there will be competition for his services. They are prepared to offer Vincent a two-year contract, one source said.

The 49ers are $7.523 million under the salary cap, giving the organization plenty of room to work out a deal for Vincent.

Vincent, 35, who was placed on injured reserve-minor on Sept. 13, is recovered from a left hamstring strain, said his agent, Linda Bodley. After the Bills placed him on IR, he could not return to play for them this season. He requested his release this week because he had become healthy enough to play.

"He's not a rookie, so it's not like he's going to play 10 more years," Bodley said. "He wants to know exactly what his role would be with his new team. He hasn't ruled anything out."

The 49ers view Vincent as a free safety who can help the team's nickel defense. The 49ers' pass defense is ranked 25th in the league, yielding an average of 224.0 yards a game. Last week, the Raiders, who entered the game averaging just 70.3 yards passing a game, rolled up 216 passing yards on the 49ers.

Vincent would be an acquisition along the lines of guard Larry Allen and cornerback Walt Harris. The 49ers pounced on those veteran players in March after they were released by the Cowboys and Redskins, respectively.

Former 49ers WR Rashaun Woods, the club's first-round pick in the 2004 draft, had a workout this week with the Buccaneers.

Posted October 12, 2006 5:09:17 PMPermalink: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default. ... 1TrackBack URL: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/utility/tb/?id=220601

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like Teddy is still sitting on his thumb.
The Packers definitely need help/depth in their defensive backfield and could pick up valuable veteran help, yet Teddy once again does nothing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
trippster said:
just because you havent read it doesn't mean he isnt active

Exactly, recall the Lavar Arington thing?

People were upset TT wasnt doing anything, then to come to find out a week b4 he was in GB they were talking to him on the phone..

But EVERYONE knew TT was sitting on his thumbs

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vincent is 35 and we are pretty much rebuilding so it doesnt make a lot of sense to bring him in since we want young players

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
just because you havent read it doesn't mean he isnt active

It stands to reason that if San Frans interest in Vincent is made public, that any interest that Green Bay has would also be made public.
I think teddy would have alot more credibility with fans if he would acknowlege any interest or disinterest that the Packers might have in a potential significant player like Vincent and why.

I call Vincent a significant player because the Packers are lacking depth and need help in the secondary and there aren't really any other players with Vincents resume available.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do they need Vincent they already have Taylor and Archuleta. They need to learn that you cant buy your team!! They have spent alot in free agency and it has got them to 2-4.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do they need Vincent they already have Taylor and Archuleta. They need to learn that you cant buy your team!! They have spent alot in free agency and it has got them to 2-4.

They need him because Archuleta cannot defend against the pass (sound familiar?). They rank next to last -- right before GB -- in giving up explosive passes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts