Veteran Backup QB

nab0404

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New to the board so i don't know if this idea's been thrown around or not. But does anyone know if the packers are interested in bringing in a veteran backup QB?

Available are : Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwich, JP Losman

When Matt Flynn had to play some last year, that was pretty tough to watch. Garcia and Leftwich showed last year that both can still play.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt it. You forget that Flynn was a Rookie. Both him an Brohm have spend one entire year with the playbook. I think we are fine with our Qb situation.

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea we were fine last year and Brom and Flynn have another year under their belt, we should be fine. Plus you can't pay 4 QBs on a roster

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lambeauharrier said:
We should try and trade Brohm if he loses out in the depth chart again this year?
We should trade him, but we need to get good value from him... I think we can get even a first round pick if we deal him right

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But what would we get if we tried to trade either Flynn or Brohm? I think they are more valuable to us than some other team.

Isn't Leftwich still in Pitt? Garcia might be interesting IF he'd be willing to be a back up at this point in his career. Is Losman a FA? I suspect TT with either keep the status quo or watch the waive wire over the next few months.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
lambeauharrier said:
We should try and trade Brohm if he loses out in the depth chart again this year?
We should trade him, but we need to get good value from him... I think we can get even a first round pick if we deal him right
Just my opinion, but I doubt we could get even a 5th round pick for Brohm. He's never played a down in the NFL. And when he played in preseason he was terrible.

Come to think of it, I don't know if anybody would give us any sort of draft pick for someone that unproven.

As far as a veteran backup, Garcia and Leftwich are going to want to go somewhere and compete for a starting job, which both clearly wouldn't do here. Losman, however, is intriguing and if we could get him for a bargain, i'd say go for it. He's got NFL experience, which is a plus, and I think he'd be a good #2, or even a #3. I'm all for giving Flynn some competition this year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess said:
Losman, however, is intriguing and if we could get him for a bargain, i'd say go for it. He's got NFL experience, which is a plus, and I think he'd be a good #2, or even a #3. I'm all for giving Flynn some competition this year.
If you're worried about Brohm playing badly in preseason, what about Losman playing badly everytime???

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Jess. We wouldn't get anything if we traded Brohm now. Buying high and selling low isn't good business. We're better off waiting to see if Brohm finds his way on the field at some point, either during a blowout or if Rodgers get's hurt. Maybe he'll turn some heads and give us some kind of value for the second rounder we used on him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I never said to trade him now. Actually, I've stated before that I think we could trade him for a high value in 1,2 years. He'll be 25 by then, and I think he'll have good value.
But even young, I think he's a better backup than Losman. We don't know if Brohm can play well, and we all know that Losman can't. Leftwich and specially Garcia would be better backups than what we have, but that's not a concern. We have much more pressing needs, and those guys would not be really cheap...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts