Very Interesting Stat!

D

Deleted member 6794

But in that case the offense would have had the ball once and not scored. I think a system guaranteeing each team the ball at least once is about as fair as you can make it without dragging the game on for too long.

I don't worry about equal possessions for both teams would dragg the game on for too long as overtime football especially in the playoffs is pretty exciting.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We have to agree to disagree on that. A defensive touchdown should end an overtime game immediately.

Agreed At least on the first part ;) For me, its all about trying to mimic the other 4 quarters of the game and in doing so, minimizing the possibility of the game ending on one lucky/big/fluke play. Under the current system and one that gives "equal possessions", if the opening kickoff of OT is fumbled, picked up by the kicking team and run in for a TD, game over. Even if it isn't run in for a TD, the kicking team can end the game by kicking a FG. I just don't like the notion of a hard fought game ending like many do in OT under the current system.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't worry about equal possessions for both teams would dragg the game on for too long as overtime football especially in the playoffs is pretty exciting.

I was more thinking about it from an injury standpoint in the regular season. Would you be in favor of different regular season vs. post season rules?

D

Deleted member 6794

I was more thinking about it from an injury standpoint in the regular season. Would you be in favor of different regular season vs. post season rules?

I would actually be fine with eliminating ties in the regular season and use the same overtime rules as during the postseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have read and thought about the whole notion of "overtimes shouldn't last too long because of tired players or injuries". Well injuries can happen on the first play of the game and as far as being tired, both teams are comprised of professional athletes, if they don't have enough left in their tanks to keep playing on, than bring in some fresh bodies or play through the fatigue.

Seems like High School and College players can do it in Football and as well as long games in other sports.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sportscent...es-to-settle-a-football-game-see-you-tomorrow

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read and thought about the whole notion of "overtimes shouldn't last too long because of tired players or injuries". Well injuries can happen on the first play of the game and as far as being tired, both teams are comprised of professional athletes, if they don't have enough left in their tanks to keep playing on, than bring in some fresh bodies or play through the fatigue.

Seems like High School and College players can do it in Football and as well as long games in other sports.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sportscent...es-to-settle-a-football-game-see-you-tomorrow

I know these guys get paid a lot of money, but they put their bodies through hell, year in and year out. I don't think it's as simple as playing through fatigue. Extending OT by adapting the rules could add mileage to players who already have a short career-span. As far as injuries, sure they can happen on the first play of a game, but the probability of a player suffering an injury increases as a function of time spent on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind sudden death overtime. It's overtime. There are slightly different rules and it's intention is to declare a winner, not continue a game indefinitely. It adds drama, make a play and go home. No matter what rules they instate, there will always be instances where the current rules seem to favor one style of play over another, or favor a certain team over another. I like them like they are. keep a team out of the endzone and get another chance, or don't.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know these guys get paid a lot of money, but they put their bodies through hell, year in and year out. I don't think it's as simple as playing through fatigue. Extending OT by adapting the rules could add mileage to players who already have a short career-span. As far as injuries, sure they can happen on the first play of a game, but the probability of a player suffering an injury increases as a function of time spent on the field.
overuse and fatigue are probably the 2 biggest factors in injuries once you get outside of youth sports. Especially in the pros

Sky King

Reaction score
The only coin-flip should occur at the very beginning of games. If a team wins the flip and chooses to receive the opening kick-off then, as usual, the other team receives the second half kickoff. If there's an OT then the team that originally received the ball to open the game also receives the "5th Qtr." kickoff. Treating OT like its an entirely different game with its own set of (different) rules is unnecessary. It's still the same game that's being played.

If nothing else, continuing the KO rotation (decided at the game's onset) may cause coaches to rethink their strategy of deferring the opening kickoff. Having the wind at a team's back in the 5th qtr. may also come into play with open-air stadiums. How teams play at the end of regulation could also be affected. I guess it depends upon whether one prefers teams to play to win versus playing for a tie. One is clearly more exciting to me.

Personally, I would welcome having less of those boring play-for-the-tie kneel-downs or three time-eating runs up the gut to close regulation, particularly when it means not having the wind at one's back to open OT. Hopefully, less prevent defense in regulation, too, as teams may be less willing to settle for taking their chances by playing for OT. It would be more exciting to watch more all-out playing to win in regulation instead of playing meekly for the tie.

I'm all in favor of giving teams even less of a reason to take their foot off the pedal, especially late in regulation. K.I.S.S.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The only coin-flip should occur at the very beginning of games. If a team wins the flip and chooses to receive the opening kick-off then, as usual, the other team receives the second half kickoff. If there's an OT then the team that originally received the ball to open the game also receives the "5th Qtr." kickoff.

I'm not in favor of a coin toss having any affect on the outcome of a game at all.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of a coin toss having any affect on the outcome of a game at all.
In that case the home team could kickoff every time, or it could be up to the away team to decide whether to receive or kick-off. The rotation would be the same as previously mentioned. In a regulation game each team would still get at least one chance to receive and kick-off.

The non-randomness of who would kick-off to open OT would be interesting. Would that have any influence on a HC deciding whether or not to take the opening kick-off or to defer?

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting thought. How would you manage the determination of which team initially kicks off?

As I've mentioned repeatedly I would like both teams to get the same amount of possessions in overtime eliminating the importance of the coin toss.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly I would like both teams to get the same amount of possessions in overtime eliminating the importance of the coin toss.

I understand that part. However, when you say
I read that as meaning you eliminate the coin flip at the start of the game, too (if one assumes that has an effect on the game). Hence, the question about how you'd determine who gets to do what at the beginning of the 1st quarter.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand that part. However, when you say

I read that as meaning you eliminate the coin flip at the start of the game, too (if one assumes that has an effect on the game). Hence, the question about how you'd determine who gets to do what at the beginning of the 1st quarter.

I'm fine with a coin toss deciding which team gets the ball first in overtime as long as both teams get an equal amount of possessions as it wouldn't affect the outcome of the game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, got it. Guess I skipped right over the part about the coin toss not affecting the outcome as long as both teams get the same number of possessions. My thought was that, even if the team kicking off gets a shot after the receiving team, what happens at that point would certainly be affected by what happened on the first series.

D

Deleted member 6794

My thought was that, even if the team kicking off gets a shot after the receiving team, what happens at that point would certainly be affected by what happened on the first series.

While that's true there's no way to have a similar play like a face-off in hockey or a jump ball in basketball to decide which team gets the first possession.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may have created a whole new thread - how is the first possession of OT determined? A rugby scrum with the linmen going at it? A race of the teams fastest guys from one goaline to the other, where the ball is? Something simpler like home team gets first try? However, for a relatively minor discussion, we've probably already used up enough space. :) See you next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's true there's no way to have a similar play like a face-off in hockey or a jump ball in basketball to decide which team gets the first possession.
Start at 30yd FG's first one to miss at a distance the other makes, loses and that team starts on defense. :).

Then you tire out legs of the kickers so they go for TDs

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I don't think the exact number of possessions have to be equal in OT, but I would like to at least see similar game and clock conditions of a regular quarter that would allow for the opportunity for each team to have possessions. While I would prefer a timed 5th quarter, I would even be happy with a slight change. Even as slight as, the game doesn't end if the first team to possess scores a TD. Much like an OT first possession FG, this would allow the other team a chance with the ball.

Members online

Latest posts