VERY Early Stab At Predicting the 2021 53 Man Roster

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Heflin would make it to the PS. DL are needed across the league. He wasn't a super star, but when you are always making your name be called because you're always working on every play, teams recognize that. He'd be added to a 53 if he's not on ours. If Brian Price got snatched up a couple years ago, I think Heflin was a step up from him even and I liked Price too. Thought he'd be a good guy to develop.

I guess you hang on to Sternberger for 2 weeks because there's no reason not to, but I doin't see him on this team. He hasn't done anything to earn it IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree on Heflin. I actually would let Lancaster go before I would Heflin. Heflin seems hungry and motivated.

Sternberger might still have some value to the Packers but at this point, only on the PS. I would prefer Dafney over him on the 53. IF the Packers want him on the PS, release him now, don't expose him 2 weeks into the season when other teams suddenly might have a need at TE due to injuries. Obviously, the only thing you risk there is he gets snatched up now and the Packers have a need at TE before the end of week 2.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Heflin. I actually would let Lancaster go before I would Heflin. Heflin seems hungry and motivated.

Sternberger might still have some value to the Packers but at this point, only on the PS. I would prefer Dafney over him on the 53. IF the Packers want him on the PS, release him now, don't expose him 2 weeks into the season when other teams suddenly might have a need at TE due to injuries. Obviously, the only thing you risk there is he gets snatched up now and the Packers have a need at TE before the end of week 2.
From what i've seen from Sternberger, we could get that from a lot of guys floating around the league. If they kept Sternberger over Dafney it's a huge mistake. #1, he's shown more as a blocker and pass catcher already than Stern has, by a good margin and he will light people up on ST. Does Sternberger even play ST?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Benkert is the guy that won't be on the initial 53. I just don't see another team wanting to use a roster spot for him.

While I haven't really thought about it much, right now I think the bigger question is what guys will be put on the PS. One guy I think played himself out of football is Dexter Williams. Taylor is a keeper. I believe they give ESB and Begelton another shot on the PS. The big move I would be thinking about if I were the Packers is Sternberger. While they wouldn't have to cut him until after week 2, I might be tempted to release him during the "big release" and he might clear waivers and be PS eligible. Whereas, if they release him in 4 weeks, I think he gets snatched up.

That is an interesting thought on Stern, and makes sense

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have Begelton and Malik over Dafney if it had to come to that. Yeah we have W/Os but we have TEs also. I really like the way those guys catch the ball. I think they might be more valuable than Cobb. And Begelton gets open. Reminds me a bit of the guy from Minihaha.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I posted before the last game the following, I’m gonna insert what I feel it will wash out at….not necessarily what I want but what I think:

So entering the final pre-season this is how I see the current status of the roster:

QB
Locks - Rodgers and Love (2)
Spot(s) Available: Maybe 1 - Benkert
*With Rodgers age and Love inexperience I still think they keep three and Benkert is on.

RB
Locks - Jones, Dillon, Hill (3)
Spot(s) Available: I say none (Taylor or Dexter or both end up on our PS)
*nothing changed for me, we keep 3 (which puts us to 6 total)

WR
Locks - Adams, Cobb, Lazard, MVS, Rodgers (5)
Spot(s) Available: 1 IMO - I think it is between Taylor and Begelton atm.
*This is a tough call for that 6th, I think honestly the ability to hide Begelton easier than Taylor on PS makes that the way they go. Begelton showed a lot and I think there is a returner there in him too. Keep 6 (12)

TEs
Locks - Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara (3)
Spot(s) Available: 1 maybe....but my gut says we keep 3 (Daffney goes PS)
*This offense I’ll say we keep 4 with Daffney in. (16)

OL
Locks - Jenkins, Myers, Turner, Patrick, Runyon, Newman, Kelly (7) Bahk if they don't designate him something else (8)
Spot(s) Available: I feel they keep 9 so either 1 or 2 spots left between Braden, Nijiman, Van Lanen. Kelly could get bumped off if they feel shelf is higher on these - Kelly doesn't cost us much at all if cut.
*If Bahk is placed on the 53 initially I think Nijiman gets nod and we pray Van Lanen can clear waivers for PS. So 9 (25)

DLs
Locks - Clark, Keke, Lowry, Slaton (4)
Spots Available: 1 and I think between Heflin and Lancaster or someone that isn't even on the team atm *I'm beginning to think Lancaster and they hope they can hide Heflin on PS.
*I am calling Heflin and Lancaster both make it so we keep 6 (31)

ILBs
Locks - Barnes, Campbell, Burks (3)
Spot(s) Available: 1 more spot between Summers and McDuffie IMO
*Mcduffie makes it for sure. I sense we keep 4 atm. (35)

OLBs
Locks - Smith, Smith, Gary (3)
Spot(s) Available: I think 2 more with Garvin and Rivers IMO in lead
*I think we keep 5 till more is known and they’re Garvin and Rivers (40)

CBs
Locks - Jaire, King, Stokes, Sullivan, SJC (5)
Spot(s) Available: 1 more and I think Ento gets it.
Six I say with Ento grabbing it (46)

S
Locks - Amos, Savage, Scott, Black (4)
Spot(s) Available: 1 and my bet is Uphoff (ST beast)
*I like uphoff and feel he makes it 5 (51)

Special Teams Locks ATM - Crosby, Scott, Bradley (3)
*same….(54)

Clearly that is one too many, with Rivers, Uphoff, Lancaster, Daffney, Benkert being the three I feel are the most expendable and it will all come down to which position group they feel best about.

You're at 53 cause Bahk was already pup-ed prior to pre-season.

Packers are keeping 4 if not 5 ILB. It's Barnes, Campbell, Burks and Summers. I think McDuffie may have played his way onto the team against Buffalo.

Black played horribly yesterday. I think he may have actually played his way OFF the team.

As for OLB I agree on Garvin, I'm 50/50 on Rivers. I think Rivers is a PS guy.

D-Line I'd like to see them give Lowry AND Lancaster the heave **, and keep Heflin. Whatever they do with Lowry and Lancaster Heflin has earned his spot on the 53.

O-Line I think Braden has played well enough for a spot on the 53. Van Laanen I think gets PS, with Nijman gone.

WR I think unless he gets injured EQSTB is on the 53.

RB Unless they plan on doing 2 back sets with Dillon as the FB I think they only keep three with no PS guys. Taylor had fumble issues in games, and Williams as much as I believe in the guy hasn't made the next step going into year 3 I can't keep him.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The big move I would be thinking about if I were the Packers is Sternberger. While they wouldn't have to cut him until after week 2, I might be tempted to release him during the "big release" and he might clear waivers and be PS eligible. Whereas, if they release him in 4 weeks, I think he gets snatched up.
Does his suspension toll if he is not on an active roster? IOW if he is cut, does he still have to serve it after being signed?
WR I think unless he gets injured EQSTB is on the 53.
EQ has been injured all camp. I don't recall seeing him play and he for sure isn't a lock or starter. I think he gets IR'd and an injury settlement a few weeks from now like Funchess.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ will be on IR at the very least but he’ll be released at some point and maybe back on PS after that. Other people have shown more than he has to this point

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does his suspension toll if he is not on an active roster? IOW if he is cut, does he still have to serve it after being signed?

Yes, I believe it tolls. Sternberger has to serve the 2 game suspension but has to be while "employed" by a team, but not on an active 53 man roster, rather on an exempt part of that roster. Meaning, he could sit unclaimed for 5 games or even a season, but if claimed, he then gets put on that list, sits out 2 games and then has to go on an active 53 man list or be cut.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
EQ will be on IR at the very least but he’ll be released at some point and maybe back on PS after that. Other people have shown more than he has to this point

I still think the guy has potential, but Taylor is the obvious choice for the 53 man roster at this point. EQ's constant injuries, as well as not really showing other teams much, should allow the Packers to get him on the PS. The question will be, is he even worth a spot on the PS? 10 man? Probably not, but with it now being 16, he may be worth hanging on to.

I am serious when I say this, if Aaron likes EQ and feels they have chemistry, then get him to the PS.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ has been injured all camp. I don't recall seeing him play and he for sure isn't a lock or starter. I think he gets IR'd and an injury settlement a few weeks from now like Funchess.

Ric doesn’t pay close attention lol

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@RicFlairoftheNFL also find your criticism of Black as very odd. He was VERY consistent this preseason for the Packers and was surefire tackle whenever he was in the play.

Actually an article over at Packerswire label him one of the six preseason studs and said the following:

"No defensive player was more consistent than Black, who delivered 12 tackles without a miss over 98 total snaps. He was solid playing downhill against the run and making stops in the open field against short to intermediate completions. His strong tackling stood out on a defense that struggled to get people to the ground consistently this preseason. Black was also the team’s highest-graded special teams player, and he led the team with two special teams stops. It appears he’ll be the new Will Redmond, serving as the No. 3 safety and special teams ace."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@RicFlairoftheNFL also find your criticism of Black as very odd. He was VERY consistent this preseason for the Packers and was surefire tackle whenever he was in the play.

Actually an article over at Packerswire label him one of the six preseason studs and said the following:

"No defensive player was more consistent than Black, who delivered 12 tackles without a miss over 98 total snaps. He was solid playing downhill against the run and making stops in the open field against short to intermediate completions. His strong tackling stood out on a defense that struggled to get people to the ground consistently this preseason. Black was also the team’s highest-graded special teams player, and he led the team with two special teams stops. It appears he’ll be the new Will Redmond, serving as the No. 3 safety and special teams ace."
I agree with all this but in my mind he is suspect in pass coverage. He is an upgrade over Redmond.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all this but in my mind he is suspect in pass coverage. He is an upgrade over Redmond.
Oh he is still very young and not without issues, but easily on the team and rightfully so.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear I just saw Donald driver posted a Facebook story welcoming Dez Bryant to the packers. I can’t find it to screenshot now of course.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted 22 hours ago. Can’t verify it anywhere else.

Attachments

• 4AD05315-A089-4649-B126-97F5B2D938C1.jpeg
    4AD05315-A089-4649-B126-97F5B2D938C1.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 132

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that aside, I think the big question right now is ...

To Begelton, or not to Begelton, that is the question

Now, the question there would be do we go 6 or 7 WRs? And then keep 4 TEs and 9 OL and 6 DL? Now if we go 7 WR, he's definitely in. If 6, M Taylor is in, he's out. Also assumes we do what most are predicting and only go 2 QB instead of 3.

This Tuesday is going to be very interesting to see.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see the Packers keeping 7 WR's on the 53. Maybe if Funchess had stayed healthy they would have. But guys like Begelton and ESB are a dime a dozen and will easily slide to the PS.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Packers keeping 7 WR's on the 53. Maybe if Funchess had stayed healthy they would have. But guys like Begelton and ESB are a dime a dozen and will easily slide to the PS.

That's what I'm thinking, although you do wonder if Begelton impressed any other teams to grab him off of waivers. This is perhaps why some fans are hoping he makes the 53.

So final 53 I'm guessing ATM

QB - Rodgers, Love
RB - A Jones, Dillon, Hill
WR - Adams, Cobb, Lazard, MVS, Rodgers, Taylor
TE - Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Dafney
OL - Meyers, Jenkins, Turner, Newman, Braden, Nijman, Kelly, Van Lanen, Patrick

DL - Clark, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin, Lancaster, Keke
LB - Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Burks, Campbell, McDuffie, Barnes, Rivers, Garvin
DB - Alexander, King, Stokes, Sullivan, SJC, Ento
S - Amos, Savage, Black, Scott, Gaines

P - *Scott
K - Crosby
LS - Bradley

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking, although you do wonder if Begelton impressed any other teams to grab him off of waivers.

Good final 53, I think that is very close.

Guys like Begelton and ESB are on every team and there will probably be 90 or so WR's cut in the next few days. We, as Packer fans, only know a lot about them because they have been in the Packer organization for a 2/3 years. Good news/Bad News. Neither of them have done enough in regular season games to attract any attention. Nor have either really impressed in the preseason, especially ESB. I think they both get cut, but unless the Packers see another WR on waivers that they like more, it would probably be smart to resign both to the PS. Who knows, maybe the Bills cut Jake Kumerow and Gute throws AR a bone and grabs him.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good final 53, I think that is very close.

Guys like Begelton and ESB are on every team and there will probably be 90 or so WR's cut in the next few days. We, as Packer fans, only know a lot about them because they have been in the Packer organization for a 2/3 years. Good news/Bad News. Neither of them have done enough in regular season games to attract any attention. Nor have either really impressed in the preseason, especially ESB. I think they both get cut, but unless the Packers see another WR on waivers that they like more, it would probably be smart to resign both to the PS. Who knows, maybe the Bills cut Jake Kumerow and Gute throws AR a bone and grabs him.

Yeah well no surprise on ESB anyway. Wasn't high on him last year and no change this year for me.

Begelton was starting to win me over, though not as much as Taylor. At least I think he's better than what we had in previous years with guys like Trevor Davis and Darrius Sheppard. Definitely if he's available clearing waivers then he should be put on the PS. Now, perhaps one other thing that may prevent us from getting him back is if he decided to return to the CFL, an unlikely but not out of the realm of possibility scenario. Most players there don't make as much as practice roster players here, but many of them love the game enough that they stay up there anyway. While I would think Begelton does stay here if given the PR opportunity, it's possible he cares more about being on the field, and if he doesn't see it happening any time soon here, he could decide he prefers playing back in Canada.

Another idea I was considering while looking at my projected 53, should we consider dropping Ty Lancaster and sign either Benkert or Begelton? Now to be clear, I have nothing against Lancaster and think he's been adequate and serviceable on the defensive front? But I don't really think he's essential, and seeing upgraded guys like Slaton, a hopefully healthy Keke, and even Heflin being talked about is he going to have much of an impact anyway? Now, I don't know how much Joe Barry's scheme needs 3 DTs on the line at any given time, and there is the possibility our DL needs him for depth given the risk of injury up in there, or possibly to be able to substitute for tired guys. But ... I don't know, I guess I just don't feel like we'd miss him that much if we did this. Just a thought anyway.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts