1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vernand Morency, I think I'm falling in love with this guy!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, May 21, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I just saw the interviews Morency did after the first two minicamp practices, and I have been blown away at how great of a mindset the guy is in.

Some quick highlights (paraphrased):

Q: On whether Ahman leaving is an opportunity for him?
    VM: Everyday I have a uniform on with my name on the back, it is an opportunity for me. Ahman or no Ahman, I have an opportunity every time I go on the field, and I'm going to make the most of it; I'm want to be the best RB in the NFL.

Q: On people saying he is too small to be an every down back in the NFL...
    VM: I hear that and I laugh, I giggle. People said that about me in highschool and I proved them wrong. People said that about me in college, and I proved them wrong. People are saying that now, and I'll prove them wrong.

Q: On how Ahman leaving effects him...
    VM: I learned a lot from Ahman last year, and I know he'll put up strong numbers in Houston. We're great friends, and if I need to ask him something, I'll just call him up and ask him.

Q: On possibly being the starting RB for the Packers...
    VM: I go and practice on the field, then come back and watch the tape to see my mistakes. Next practice, I try to correct them. Every day I'm on the field, I'm learning. I didn't like missing games last year because I want to learn by being on the field. I've been in GB for a while getting stronger with Rock (strength coach), getting faster, and getting quicker. I want to go out there and be the best RB in the NFL. Having success has got more to do with mentality than physical skills; I want to be the best and I know that I can be the best RB.

Q: On Brett being at the camp...
    VM: It was great to have Brett here, on one play we weren't on the same page: Brett wanted me to do one thing, and I did something else. After that play, we talked about it and got on the same page. If Brett wasn't here, we couldn't have done that.

I love his attitude!

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Noah Herrons interviews are similar, and he has cooler hair.

Q: On Brett being at the camp...
    VM: It was great to have Brett here, on one play we weren't on the same page: Brett wanted me to do one thing, and I did something else. After that play, we talked about it and got on the same page. If Brett wasn't here, we couldn't have done that.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Q: What did Brett want you to do?
    VM: He wanted me to run up and kick Ted Thompson in the nuts!

4. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    yeah ive definetly enjoyed vernands interviews. hes got a little confident swagger about him.

i also actually really liked aaron rodgers interviews. hes growing on me little by little.

5. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    AADP your emotions are misplaced.

1) The guy did not like football the most as a sport.

2) He has a criminal history.

3) The guy has trouble with the fundamentals like hitting the right hole and taking a hand off.

4) His mouth will get him in trouble. Do you remember having being in Green Bay a week and a half he said he knew the playbook?

5) Within 2 seasons an upgrade will be found and Morency will be gone.

6. MajicMan

MajicMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Vernand Morency, I think I'm falling in love with this g

*snor* Sports bable. "I'm gonna take it one game at a time" type stuff. :kickcan:

Better than Bubba's "I'm selfish" type stuff. Silly.

Looks like Morency learned from Jeter. Maybe Bubba should have Morency teach him a thing or two about creating your typical inspirational sports copy quotes.

7. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

People can't change? And is there a science on how to feel, how to correctly place your emotions?

Let him root for the guy. Jesus Christ.

8. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I don't understand the negatives about a guy who truly wants to improve and has worked hard to achieve it. He may NOT be the final answer for us but it won't be for lack of effort. TT has brought aboard a new group who have a winning spirit. Some will fail, obviously, but in the meantime all the others will be improved and thus improve the team as a whole. Let's pull for these guys. They ARE the GB Packers for now, at least.

9. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

The thing that surprised me a little from the article was this excerpt;

Working with the linemen has proved to be invaluable, even though the Packers had more passing than running repetitions this camp.

"You just hope 'Mo' has more familiarity with what we're doing," Philbin said. "As I told our players this morning, you don't have pads on, it's more passing if you examine how many runs we got in practice today in a team setting. It's not very many. So you're going to do the best you can with those jog-throughs in the beginning, simulating our run game. All those backs, P.J., Noah, they just need as many reps as we can give them."

Realizing how important timing is between the RBs and the OL in the zone blocking scheme and the need for reps as Philbin mentioned, it would appear that our "rushing-based" offense scheme is maybe going to be predominately pass heavy again this year. That may explain why TT didn't feel it necessary to spend any significant money on the position this offseason.

10. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    lare, philbins comments did strike me as odd, especially since mccarthy has said again already that they wanna get back to a running team.

but im thinkin that its probally just because the passing plays involve pass routes AND pass blocking for the running backs. so you know, the running backs are gonna be involved in every play. and they are gonna have to know when and where to be on pass blocks just as much as what hole to hit. where as a wide reciever is just gonna run dummy routes to take defenders or block the same guy. so maybe its just an effort to keep everyone moving and feeling like they are doing something.

i dont know. i hope we do stick to the run a little more this year. but if a team is gonna stack the box, you best know what to do when its impossible for any team to run.

11. Bertram

Bertram Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think he meant since they were practicing without pads it will be mostly passing because practicing the running game without pads is almost useless.

12. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

1) I have not hear that; perhaps that was the case in the past and his feelings have changed?

2) Not that I'm aware of. If I remember correctly, the charges were dropped against him back in college. I can't recall any other instances during Morency's time in the NFL.

3) If he did, there is no way he'd still be in the league. Last year he barely knew the offense, and was asked to go out and play. Of course he'll struggle in that situation, but otherwise no RB that can't get the basics right will be employed very long. Also, no RB that can't get the fundamentals right will rush for almost 500 yards as a back-up.

4) Well to be honest, when he takes on such a big role in our team, I'd be a little ticked off if he said "NO, I just got here I don't have a clue what I'm doing". Players are supposed to say the right things, and that's what he did.

5) The Broncos GM listed the requirements for a Zone scheme RB, and Morency fit all the requirements down to a tee. He is the prototypical back for our scheme, and judging by some flashes last year, he has talent. I don't think he'll be going away any time soon yet.

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

But only if he'd wear a big orange wig, sunglasses, and a jumpsuit.